canon 70-200 f4L IS USM

JDShadowKing

Jul 8, 2016
Singapore
all the 70-200 L lens got an upgrade after 9 years or so. so should i go ahead and get the 70-200 f4 IS or wait for the mk2 if there is one cos this lens is already 10 years old so a new version is due. i dont want to get the f4 IS then within a year the mk 2 comes out. any advice?

Well, if the Mk2 version will make such an impact on your pictures you will have to wait. Otherwise the old rule applies: the best camera / lens is the one in your hand in the right moment.

The 70-200 f/4 IS is an amazing lens. I don't know how much can be improved in another version.

In fact, the independent lens reviewer PhotoZone, gives this lens a very high rating and its very rare "Highly Recommended" moniker.

I would be surprised if Canon would upgrade this lens in the near future. There are several other lenses that could use updates... the current version of the 70-200 f/4 IS is working very well.

I remember it wasn't that long ago the F4L IS was almost like the sharpest lens in the Canon line up.
The reason why there are folks thinking the F4L IS is going to be replaced is that it was strangely left out of the recommended list of lens for the 5Ds(R)
Can find the list here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=15356

That is taken as an indication of the lens that are going to be replaced to meet the needs of future high Mpixel cameras from Canon.

Strangely enough, the lesser non-IS version is included inside. Typo, perhaps? As some speculated.

using a 80d and looking for a 70-200mm f4L

should i go for the IS or non-is

shooting portraits and some panning mostly i guess

using a 80d and looking for a 70-200mm f4L

should i go for the IS or non-is

shooting portraits and some panning mostly i guess
If you want the panning mode. I think the IS version might be the way to go. But is the cost difference worth it? That's up to you.

While for portraits , depending on your lighting situation. In good light, IS might not be so important.

** I'll probably suggest cheaper primes like 85 f1.8 if you are considering alternatives.

agree. using the 70-200 F4L IS without any issues. Fast and uber sharp and some reviews claim @ 200mm sharper than the F2.8 MK2 @ 200mm but thats for pixel peepers i feel haha

I've owned the non-IS version and also used before the IS version. Both are outstanding lenses (light and sharp) and the non-IS version will not break the bank too.

You won't go wrong with any of them but if I have to choose one, definitely the IS version regardless of whether a II will be out or not, the current version is good enough. Invest more on the IS as at that focal length, the IS will really come in handy.

all the 70-200 L lens got an upgrade after 9 years or so. so should i go ahead and get the 70-200 f4 IS or wait for the mk2 if there is one cos this lens is already 10 years old so a new version is due. i dont want to get the f4 IS then within a year the mk 2 comes out. any advice?

If there is no hurry to get the lens, I would suggest you wait. However, if you really need the lens, the IS version will enable you to handheld at least 2 stops lower shutter speed compared to the non IS version.