canon 70-200 f4 is , non-is or f2.8 is

hanracing

Dec 24, 2009
hi,i want to ask does IS effect the image quality very much and what is the different between f4 and f2.8.

IS definately works, at least for me with shaky hands. So if you don't use a tripod/monopod it sure helps. You can go to the shop and test it, at 200mm switch off the IS and look into your viewfinder, then turn on the IS. You will see your pic stop shaking. It is like trying to hold a long bamboo pole steady, the IS sure works. As for f2.8 or f4 I think a lot depends on what you plan to do with your lens. If you are going to walk for hours with it then I think f4 is better. 2.8 is a heavy lens coming for one who walks around overseas for 8 hours with a 24-70 mounted on.

the IS will help given the focal length (200mm) and the weight of the 2.8.
which could be critical when handshake comes into the picture, you might just get more keepers cause of it.

the IS versions are said to be sharper than the non-IS versions as well, with the f4 IS being the sharpest of all 4 lenses.

You might want to take note that the lens design for the f/4 IS and non-IS versions are actually different.

f4L IS
2006_ef_70-200_f4l_is_usm_bd.gif

f4L
ef_70~200_4l_usm_bd.gif

red.gif
Fluorite Lenses
blue.gif
UD Lenses

The IS version comes 7 years after the non-IS version.

Last edited:
hi,i want to ask does IS effect the image quality very much and what is the different between f4 and f2.8.

IS does not affect IQ, but like previous posts pointed out, the IQ are different for the 4 lenses due to the different lens construction.

The difference between f4 and f2.8 is 1 stop

the IS will help given the focal length (200mm) and the weight of the 2.8.
which could be critical when handshake comes into the picture, you might just get more keepers cause of it.

the IS versions are said to be sharper than the non-IS versions as well, with the f4 IS being the sharpest of all 4 lenses.

when u say the 4 lenses, the newer 70-200 IS 2 is excluded right?

note the difference with IS and without IS, you can see
- http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-4.0-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

"you can shoot with this lens hand held at an up-to-4-stop slower shutter speed than with the non-IS Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens. For example (and theoretically), if you need a shutter speed of 1/250 at 200mm without IS to achieve sharp images, you can shoot at 1/15 with the 70-200 f/4 IS with similar results - this is a huge difference. The image stabilizer will compensate for camera movement during the shot (within limits of course)."

What IS cannot do for you - IS cannot stop subject motion

On a separate note, I bought the F4 IS over the F2.8 mainly because of weight. The F2.8 is signficantly heavier than the F4....

Last edited:
go strait to f2.8 IS II...:thumbsup:

but the tamron or sigma f2.8 neither have a image stabilizer but they still can also take good picture in low-light condition . why ???

but the tamron or sigma f2.8 neither have a image stabilizer but they still can also take good picture in low-light condition . why ???

imagine those pg in the past, they have no IS ... i believe they use telephoto lenses too...

so it is still possible w/o IS i think... just harder...

the tamron 70-200 2.8 is :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: pic beri the chio u know...

to answer your question, yes it does affect IQ. you will have a higher percentage of keepers.

Difference:
1) f/4 vs f/2.8
2) f/4 lighter. f/2.8 double the weight of f/4 (comparing only the IS versions)

How to choose?
1) No budget - f/2.8 IS II / f/2.8 IS
2) Dun wanna exceed SGD$2K - f/4 IS (abt 1.8K+)
3) Tight budget - f/4 non-IS (can get for slightly more than 1K brand new or less than 1K in B&S)

My 2 cents worth:
You won't be satisfied with the non-IS after a while cos the nagging thoughts of how much better is the IS version will always be at the back of your mind.

One last thing. Even with IS, sometimes you still need to deploy the use of a monopod to give that additional stabilisation. Even with f/2.8, there will be instances where you will need to use flash, especially indoors.

ok,but now i want to ask does f4 IS and non IS very different if in indoor wedding

if f4 non is good in handheld ablity compare to sigma and tamron ??

"you can shoot with this lens hand held at an up-to-4-stop slower shutter speed than with the non-IS Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens. For example (and theoretically) said:
Just to add that if u need faster shutter than 1/15 under above situation on F4, just crank up ISO to compensate.

so now i am in a tight budget which one should i get??