Canon 70-200 f/4 IS USM or Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM (non-IS)

phatwell83

May 10, 2009
Cebu
good day,

This would be my next target lens, i would like to know w/c of the 2 you would prefer?
Would aperture be more important than IS or the other way around???

aperture or IS? (both lens are almost the same in price)

hoping for your inputs... thank you.

Last edited:
I would love to know whats the response like....hmmmm, is IS really that important...photographers years ago dont have the luxury of IS and they do take great photos too..

70-200 f/4 IS USM has been known as the sharpest lens among the four 70-200. (not include the MkII for 70-200 f2.8 IS).

IMO, you need to know what you want to use with the lens.
Street photography? sunny day on orchard / Little India? When holiday, on a buzzing street in other country?

Portrait?
Sports?

After knowing these, you need to know will you willing to carry a heavy lens around. Will you use flash?

I just bought 70-200 f4 IS... I prefer this over f2.8 because its lighter and sharper.
Light enough to carry around with me the whole day.

Problem is, I can't get the same bokeh of f2.8.

I will prefer F4 IS over F2.8 also. F4 IS is smaller and less bulker. With IS, I can take indoor and night portrait as well.

2.8 for dynamic subjects
f4 IS for static subjects

I will go for 70-200 f4 IS (can push ISO for fast moving objects, if speed is an issue).
I think IS matter a lot, i was in states and was using my 400mm (prime-non IS) and realized how important is IS if you are not using tripod all the time.
I even test on 17-55 IS, 17-55 was giving more keeper than my 50mm. Although using tripod was giving almost similar result from 50mm and 17-55mm (when kids are running around and one need to move then stability is an issue). I am not pro but learn a bit from experience.
If you cannot decide better rent and test before buying, i have lost a lot of money in buying and selling when i didn't get the result i was expecting from lens.

I'm planning to use this on an up comming festival... so it has lots of street dancing and floats and people in action...

will the F/4 be enough for indoor shots like weddings? will also be using this one if a wedding event comes by...

Last edited:
I'm planning to use this on an up comming festival... so it has lots of street dancing and floats and people in action...

will the F/4 be enough for indoor shots like weddings? will also be using this one if a wedding event comes by...
Cropped Sensor? If it is crop, do consider 3rd lens like Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 HSM or Tokina 50-135mm F2.8.

Else, pump the ISO up.

This question has been asked quite often. Each of the 4 70-200 each have its pros and cons. Generally, people will opt for the IS versions for handheld versatility. For maximum versatility, the f2.8 IS. For environments where you have some control over lightings, the f4 IS.

This question has been asked quite often. Each of the 4 70-200 each have its pros and cons. Generally, people will opt for the IS versions for handheld versatility. For maximum versatility, the f2.8 IS. For environments where you have some control over lightings, the f4 IS.
Don't forget the additional 400g of weight and $1K price difference!!

I would prefer F4IS than F2.8 .:thumbsup: The more important point is that light to carry around and IS will help especially in the long range ;p

Don't forget the additional 400g of weight and $1K price difference!!

Well, let's put it this way. If you really need the lens, you will find some way to make up for these difference. If this is a want item, then the weight and price will standout and you'll probably don't really need it and can go for the f4 IS.

Thanx for the heads up guys, this really helps...

i think most of you go for the IS...

if i will get the NON-IS f/2.8, will a mono pod compensate it for being NON-IS ?

ever consider sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS??

Thanx for the heads up guys, this really helps...

i think most of you go for the IS...

if i will get the NON-IS f/2.8, will a mono pod compensate it for being NON-IS ?
Of-course it will help (i have learned my lesson, no IS no go for me ;) but i can be different case :sticktong).