Canon 6D

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me its almost perfect given the price and features. Only area it lacks is in the AF but I only use center point most of the time. So far from the "official" specs I'm really excited about a few things

- RRP is USD 2099 ~ S$2.6k, street price should be 2.5k or less
- built in GPS - really cool feature especially since you can tag and show where you took the photos on google map - the GP-E2 easily costs $350 - $400 and have not found an alternative that is as elegant and works as well.
- built in wifi - I can imagine taking raw + jpeg and transferring the jpeg direct to an ipad to view or backup
- FF in a 60d body - great for holidays

wonder what this will do for 2nd hand price of 5dII

victorlee10 said:
For me its almost perfect given the price and features. Only area it lacks is in the AF but I only use center point most of the time. So far from the "official" specs I'm really excited about a few things

- built in GPS - really cool feature especially since you can tag and show where you took the photos on google map - the GP-E2 easily costs $350 - $400 and have not found an alternative that is as elegant and works as well.
- built in wifi - I can imagine taking raw + jpeg and transferring the jpeg direct to an ipad to view or backup

The gps n Wi-Fi would be a battery killer though..

ageha said:
Why would you turn WiFi on while you're shooting?

Well u might accidentally leave it on..or there might be a bug which causes the Wi-Fi to hang while it's on..but u off it already n drains the battery..Lol

Last edited:
this reminds me of 60D vs D7000 with 60D losing a bit at every department. but 60D is cheaper than d7000; so its still fair.

wish this 6D is cheaper than D600 given the spec is a downgrade from D600 except the 1/8000s.

eggie87 said:
Well u might accidentally leave it on..or there might be a bug which causes the Wi-Fi to hang while it's on..but u off it already n drains the battery..Lol

Of course. :*)

The gps n Wi-Fi would be a battery killer though..

Would need to wait for reviews to find out but don't foresee this to be a problem. I take maybe 200-400 shots per day when on holiday and the BP-511 (I'm using 40d) can easily last 3-4 days before recharging. So maybe with GPS I need to recharge everyday. No big deal.

this reminds me of 60D vs D7000 with 60D losing a bit at every department. but 60D is cheaper than d7000; so its still fair.

wish this 6D is cheaper than D600 given the spec is a downgrade from D600 except the 1/8000s.

I think its a fair tradeoff. 6d is same price as d600. 6d might lose on AF points and FPS (4.5 vs 5.5) but gain GPS and wifi. Depending on your shooting style and type of photography you might prefer 1 over the other.

I hope the 6D will have interchangeable focusing screens like the ee-s or eg-s. If it does I will seriously consider upgrading my 5DC. And I hope it retains the LP-E6 or Bp-511a battery.

Unfortunately, the price conversion doesn't work this way. D600 is also US$2,099 but is reportedly going to sell for RRP $3,249 local according to CNET asia. Not sure how Canon Singapore will price the 6D, but don't think it will differ too much.

ageha said:
Actually I am still shooting with a 35mm EOS 300! :-D

Ooov nice..Haha was playing around with my friends 33d ..a few weeks back..old school stuff

Only 2 things left to look forward to...

Replacement for 7D or 60D... and the replacement for 6D. If the FF entry level is going to be competitive as the entry level crop DSLRs, we might be seeing a replacement in say, 2 years time? Maybe Canon will wake up to its idea then.

I hope the 6D will have interchangeable focusing screens like the ee-s or eg-s. If it does I will seriously consider upgrading my 5DC. And I hope it retains the LP-E6 or Bp-511a battery.

Yes, it does. It retains the LP-E6 battery and the same focusing screens. From DPreview:

"Unlike recent high-end Canons like the EOS 7D, 5D Mark III and 1D X, the 6D doesn't use an LCD overlay on the focusing screen to show gridlines etc. Instead it offers interchangeable focusing screens, using the same type as the EOS 5D Mark II. On offer are the Eg-D grid screen, or the Eg-S screen that's designed for more-precise manual focus with fast lenses."

It also retains the 5D3 AF adjustment: "The EOS 6D does, however offer the same AF microadjust as the 5D Mark III. Adjustments can be made separately for the wide and telephoto ends of zoom lenses, and can also be made per serial-numbered lens (should you have two copies of the same lens that require differing amounts of adjustment)."

I think I shall sell my 5D3 and replace it with the lighter and smaller 6D. I am just a fan of smaller / lighter cameras.

Yes, it does. It retains the LP-E6 battery and the same focusing screens. From DPreview:

"Unlike recent high-end Canons like the EOS 7D, 5D Mark III and 1D X, the 6D doesn't use an LCD overlay on the focusing screen to show gridlines etc. Instead it offers interchangeable focusing screens, using the same type as the EOS 5D Mark II. On offer are the Eg-D grid screen, or the Eg-S screen that's designed for more-precise manual focus with fast lenses."

It also retains the 5D3 AF adjustment: "The EOS 6D does, however offer the same AF microadjust as the 5D Mark III. Adjustments can be made separately for the wide and telephoto ends of zoom lenses, and can also be made per serial-numbered lens (should you have two copies of the same lens that require differing amounts of adjustment)."

I think I shall sell my 5D3 and replace it with the lighter and smaller 6D. I am just a fan of smaller / lighter cameras.
I like the option to change the focusing screen...

Yes it has both AF micro adjust and interchangeable focusing screen, so good news to all 5D classic users. I hope the new 20 mp sensor can match Sony's 24 mp sensor, then this will be the camera most manual lens users have been waiting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.