Canon 6D or Nikon Df

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern with Nikon Df is on the layout of the dials and buttons. It seems not so user friendly.

To side track a bit, if FF is not one of my criteria, another of my pick will be Pentax K3. What do you guys think?

Pentax K3? It really looks like you've been bitten by the BBB virus :bsmilie:

If FF was not one of your criteria, you would have stuck with your old system, no?

Like I said earlier, the Df is a throwback to the 80s-era Nikon SLRs -- its controls reflect that. If you don't like it, get something else. If you enjoy the retro look and feel, you'll probably get used to the controls after a while.

The focusing screen only really matters if you use old MF Nikon lenses.

I hope to buy one which fits my criteria and budget and hopefully the next change will be 2-3 years later.

I am more prone towards Nikon and Canon since accessories and lens (including third party ones) are more readily available.

Since I am already having a Sigma lens which is Canon mount, it will save me some money to convert it.

As for Nikon, I really love the dynamic range from photos taken with Nikon D800. The only drawback is the file size is too big. I am wondering how will it compare against Nikon Df since Df is only 16 MP.

I hope to buy one which fits my criteria and budget and hopefully the next change will be 2-3 years later.
As for Nikon, I really love the dynamic range from photos taken with Nikon D800. The only drawback is the file size is too big. I am wondering how will it compare against Nikon Df since Df is only 16 MP.

You don't have to shoot at max resolution on the D800 all the time, you know.

Out of curiosity, you're not considering the D600/610 ?

P.S. 'Only 16MB' ? Are you printing mural size? In the sentence before, you complained about the D800's file size. Image resolution and file size are related.

You need to figure out your priorities -- no system or camera has everything you want. Figure out what you really CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT first, then go from there. There ain't no perfect camera (unless you're the chief designer at Nikon or Canon)

Last edited:
I have yet to try a Nikon camera before. I read from reviews that file size of D800 is usually very large. What will be a typical file size for D800 if you dun shoot at max resolution?

Agreed with Edwin Francis that you need to prioritise which feature is most impt to you and then start from there.

Based on what you have highlighted over the past conversations - lightweight, High ISO performance, wide range of lenses and small file size, then it will definitely be the Nikon DF.

User needs a 1DX or a D3...BBB story again.

Shoot portrait and landscape need high ISo performance. oh really.

I am more prone towards Nikon and Canon since accessories and lens (including third party ones) are more readily available.

Since I am already having a Sigma lens which is Canon mount, it will save me some money to convert it.

If you mean file size... of course Nikon DF file size is going to be much smaller. If you mean image quality, I would think that D800 would capture more details and having bigger resolution. Nikon had different idea when designing and making of the Nikon DF and D800. Seriously... if I were you... I would continue staying with Canon, since you are familiar with Canon and it didn't seemed that you hate anything about Canon.

I have got the 6D with 24-105 lens eventually.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

I have got the 6D with 24-105 lens eventually.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Why not get the 50mm f1.2 to go with that 6D.. Your portrait will look amazing...

My concern with Nikon Df is on the layout of the dials and buttons. It seems not so user friendly.

To side track a bit, if FF is not one of my criteria, another of my pick will be Pentax K3. What do you guys think?

I cannot help in this thread either.
I just completely disagree with TS'statement that Nikon Df layout of the dials and buttons are not user friendly.
Df is one of the most user friendly camera in my hand.

Since TS already bought his cam. I am going to close this thread. Please respect his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.