Canon 60D - SD Memory Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumoBear

Dec 10, 2007
Singapore
Hi CSers,

I have recently purchased my 60D that reads/writes SD card. The Sandisk SD card that is bundled in the camera promotion looks like a basic class 4 SD(8GB), normally I have some doubts with such entry level SD cards and will need additional cards to backup. 60D supports SDXC but I think the price of the card will be out of my range....

So I will like to seek some advices on what is a good range of SD card to buy? Looking for a mid-range(semi-pro) card that comes in the capacity of 8GB or should I ask what can I get with a budget of $100? I will be shooting video and photos. My preferred brand will be Scandisk, I am just loyal to brand.

I am totally confused by the technical specs found in ScanDisk website...:confused:
So I just "tikam" and thinking of buying the Extreme III SDHC 8GB, is it a good choice? Or any better cards from other brands to consider?

Please advise.....GREAT THANKS!!! :D

Last edited:
For Full HD video, you may opt for a Class 6 card and above

go for the sandisk extreme 3 8gb 30mb/s model the cheapest i found in singapore is 60 bucks.....this is currently the best unless u go for uhc-1 or sdxc

I am totally confused by the technical specs found in ScanDisk website...:confused:
So I just "tikam" and thinking of buying the Extreme III SDHC 8GB, is it a good choice? Or any better cards from other brands to consider?

Please advise.....GREAT THANKS!!! :D

Extreme definitely a good choice,
You will not find extreme III on the market anymore as it is already discontinued

If you want my advice,
60D will be fine with Ultra, you don't need Extreme

Because I'm using Sandisk Ultra 16GB with my 1D Mark IV and use it also on my 60D,
Video run smoothly, no problem at all

I don't think you had to spend more for the extreme

Hi guys...

thanks for providing me with the details....

I think a high speed card will be good to prevent the camera to overwork when recording video. I read about the memory buffer in 60D's manual when doing video recording...do not wish to see my card gets BBQed

The bundled SD card is the SanDisk Standard SDHC (Class 2), so isn't it not suitable for video? Video requires a Class 4 minimum right?

Am i right to say the available better grade SD cards in Singapore market are:

Extreme HD Video SDHC - 20MB/S, Class 6
Ultra SDXC - 15MB/S, Class 4
Extreme SDHC - 30MB/S, Class 10
Ultra SDHC - 15MB/S, Class 4

What is the difference between SD, SDXC and SDHC?

Last edited:
I just learned from this thread that my 60D could do some barbeque stuff with the right SD card like TS said ;)

Want to learn more from TS, where is it in the ******ng manuals said that it has a barbeque features when the camera is OVERWORKED because the use of a GOOD VALUE of MONEY SD card, just like what TS asks on this thread

TS willing to explain about this new features ? ;p

I am using Sandisk class4 15mb/s to do wedding videos ,no issues with this card ,I also have a bundled 8gd Kingston class 4 also no issues . try 4 minutes of recording with your sd card if it don't stop by itself the card can be used .

I just learned from this thread that my 60D could do some barbeque stuff with the right SD card like TS said ;)

Want to learn more from TS, where is it in the ******ng manuals said that it has a barbeque features when the camera is OVERWORKED because the use of a GOOD VALUE of MONEY SD card, just like what TS asks on this thread

TS willing to explain about this new features ? ;p

60D Manual, Pg 187, Notes on Movie Shooting

A memory indicator will show up when a slow speed card is used. Once the memory buffer overruns, video capturing will terminate. So I believe it is a sign of overworking for both camera and SD card. Class 4 cards are standard media for video recording but the bundle SD is a Class 2.

I did try to shoot video and it turn out fine but i am not sure when will it fail on me and definitely do not wish to stress my equipment. Just playing safe....

Last edited:
I am using Sandisk class4 15mb/s to do wedding videos ,no issues with this card ,I also have a bundled 8gd Kingston class 4 also no issues . try 4 minutes of recording with your sd card if it don't stop by itself the card can be used .

Hi....Thanks.....so I believe you must be using the Sandisk Ultra cards?

I think I will go and grab some new SDs....

I was sourcing the SD card models in EBay and the Ultra to have the Ultra and Ultra II but the speed is the same....so whats the difference? There are black and grey labels.....

No issues with with most class4 cards i use ,Just make sure they are full size cards ; the smaller microSD claimed the 15mb/s but infact it is not.And i don't buy cards on ebay ,cannot risk customers wedding video ,if data gone ! that's it !!!

Put the card in to record if buffer go off in 2 secs or less it can be used.

I am using Sandisk Ultra SDHC .

The buffer indicator will light up for 2seconds only if more than that you need a faster card .

Last edited:
Just came back from my lunchtime shopping.....got for myself a SanDisk Ultra SDHC Card 16GB for $65.70!!! :D

Then on my way...I went to the shop where I bought my camera and ask why they give me a Class 2 card. They say no difference between class 2 and 4, unless I am shooting video. Anyway they are willing to make an exchange for me....just gotta travel more:confused:

The standard SanDisk SD also comes in class 4 and the packaging looks like the exactly the same for Class 2 cards. They are also SDHC with same speed but cheaper than Utlra, confusing....

No issues with with most class4 cards i use ,Just make sure they are full size cards ; the smaller microSD claimed the 15mb/s but infact it is not.And i don't buy cards on ebay ,cannot risk customers wedding video ,if data gone ! that's it !!!

The buffer indicator will light up for 2seconds only if more than that you need a faster card .

Oh yes...do not risk customers' video. I gave my wedding videographer the hell for missing the record of my wedding march-in due to some unexplainable and blame pushing reasons....:angry:

Oh yes...do not risk customers' video. I gave my wedding videographer the hell for missing the record of my wedding march-in due to some unexplainable and blame pushing reasons....:angry:

Yes I have seen it happened many times before ,most reasons are newbie videographers too stressed to get a good shot and forgot to press the record button .

Usually it is the new ones in the industry ,they don't have enough experience of what is going on, often so stressed that their mentality is "get good shot or die" , it is the walk of a lifetime and only happen once.

With the newly purchased SD card, I tried to record but memory meter appear shortly like around 10 sec then the recording will auto terminate.

I am using a SanDisk ultra 16GB (Class 4) and Standard 8GB(Class 4), both have the same issue. And I do remember when I 1st got the the cam, the video recording last longer....

Do a camera format and see if it helps,No issues with mine ,did many weddings with at least 20hour footage on 2 cameras

Last edited:
Do a camera format and see if it helps,No issues with mine ,did many weddings with at least 20hour footage on 2 cameras

So you shoot it with the 60D? Ok, I will try your suggested step tonight and hope it works.:(

I was flipping the manual and the only SD mentioned are the Class 6 SD cards....

any ideas why my movie recording stops automatically at 10 seconds, i am using Sandisk class4 8GB blue color card. its very weird.

i only setup on the menu AF w/shutter during movie mode to enabled.

Last edited:
So you shoot it with the 60D? Ok, I will try your suggested step tonight and hope it works.:(

I was flipping the manual and the only SD mentioned are the Class 6 SD cards....

Please note that there are possibilities that you are using FAKE unoriginal Sandisk memory card

I'm using Sandisk Ultra 16GB with my 1D Mark IV and 60D,
never have any problems with burst shooting 10fps and movie

Where you bought it, is it a good reputation known store ?

Status
Not open for further replies.