Canon 60D: Homerun or Disappointment?

60D: Home Run or Big Disappoinment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I feel the 60D is a very big disappointment. But that's just me. After seeing the specs, my next upgrade will be the 50D.

There's not a single sample pic from the 60D available anywhere on the internet yet, so I would reserve my judgment till then. Can I ask you, in what way is 60D < 50D, other than the construction and fps? The 60D has shares 7D's sensor, which delivers better image quality, high ISO performance, etc than the 50D. It also records full HD video, has articulating higher resolution screen, etc. It may be too similar to 550D in many ways, but I'm sure the 60D will be better than 50D. Why would Canon replace the 50D with an inferior camera? It just won't make sense. The smaller size and plastic construction just mean that Canon is repositioning the xxD series into a different segment, especially since more and more first timers are looking to buy "midrange" cameras. I still think the 60D will be a great camera, especially for first timers.

no flash sync socket?

There's not a single sample pic from the 60D available anywhere on the internet yet, so I would reserve my judgment till then. Can I ask you, in what way is 60D < 50D, other than the construction and fps? The 60D has shares 7D's sensor, which delivers better image quality, high ISO performance, etc than the 50D. It also records full HD video, has articulating higher resolution screen, etc. It may be too similar to 550D in many ways, but I'm sure the 60D will be better than 50D. Why would Canon replace the 50D with an inferior camera? It just won't make sense. The smaller size and plastic construction just mean that Canon is repositioning the xxD series into a different segment, especially since more and more first timers are looking to buy "midrange" cameras. I still think the 60D will be a great camera, especially for first timers.

There are sample images of 60D on the net.
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4480

The sample are like a joke, i will be amazed to see if someone will buy 60D base on the IQ of those sample.
I am looking at bison picture and below is exif, what part of picture is sharp ? (unless you want to see it as small picture but when you zoom it all look very blur/OOF).

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Image Date: 2010:08:08 04:37:06
Focal Length: 200mm
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: -0.33 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

I am looking at bison picture and below is exif, what part of picture is sharp?

Look at the grass instead of the bison. One section of grass BETWEEN two bisons is in focus. Shooting at 200 mm f/4 requires proper AF control. Maybe the reviewer is trying to show what happens when you get a camera/lens combo that is NOT properly calibrated for each other. And the problem is greatly exacerbated by the fact the 60D does NOT offer AF microadjustment! Assuming the reviewer knows what he is doing, this is another piece of evidence showing why the 60D s**ks. ;) :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Look at the grass instead of the bison. One section of grass BETWEEN two bisons is in focus. Shooting at 200 mm f/4 requires proper AF control. Maybe the reviewer is trying to show what happens when you get a camera/lens combo that is NOT properly calibrated for each other. And the problem is greatly exacerbated by the fact the 50D does NOT offer AF microadjustment! Assuming the reviewer knows what he is doing, this is another piece of evidence showing why the 60D s**ks. ;) :bsmilie:

hopefully it is a camera or lens problem rather than a user problem. :sweat:

Lets not slam the plastic polycarbonate body. Nikon's D80 / D90 are pretty ruggered polycarbonates too. lets see what the 60D is made up before we pass unfair comments. 50D users probably feel abit sore from the apparent step down

Btw it seems this 60D is one camera that has generated so much love / hate within such a short notice ;p

ryan

Lets not slam the plastic polycarbonate body. Nikon's D80 / D90 are pretty ruggered polycarbonates too. lets see what the 60D is made up before we pass unfair comments. 50D users probably feel abit sore from the apparent step down

Btw it seems this 60D is one camera that has generated so much love / hate within such a short notice ;p

ryan

I think the body is not much of an issue.... if the image IQ is good... all will be forgiven......

But I have issue with it using SD cards.... cos I have a bit of CF.... and now... it seems like it is 50D or 7D for me....... :(

Last edited:
Why is there such an uproar over a Plastic Body?

A lens is used for maybe 20 years or more and the built has to be good.

But the body? Maybe 2 years or at most 5 years before the user changes it. :dunno:

... it seems like it is 50D or 7D for me....... :(

The SD card thing sounds like a bit of mis-fire on Canon's part for existing CF already users looking to go up the XXD models. But it will be a nice entry higher end camera for new adopters - targetted at audiences in the midway fight against the D90 / D300 segment.

Looking on the other side... maybe Canon purposely made it such that u have to think of the 7D next :devil::devil::devil:

ryan

one good point about SD cards is that they are cheaper;p

just a off topic on the subject of SD cards:

there was once i was at the home of my brother in law, my sis-in-law saw me holding a CF card, then commented:
"wah nowadays new technology already,all using small memory card, nobody uses these big memory cards anymore loh"

i was speechless.....:sweat:

to be fair to her, she's from out of town and dun even know the difference between all PNS

Actually i'd like to know why some folks are immediately turned off when "magnesium body" is omitted from the design. Are they in environments and conditions that constantly abuse the camera physically?

Weather sealing is probably more important a feature to me.

one good point about SD cards is that they are cheaper;p

just a off topic on the subject of SD cards:

there was once i was at the home of my brother in law, my sis-in-law saw me holding a CF card, then commented:
"wah nowadays new technology already,all using small memory card, nobody uses these big memory cards anymore loh"

i was speechless.....:sweat:

to be fair to her, she's from out of town and dun even know the difference between all PNS

actually sd cards with the same capacity as a cf card is usually more ex.

Why is there such an uproar over a Plastic Body?

A lens is used for maybe 20 years or more and the built has to be good.

But the body? Maybe 2 years or at most 5 years before the user changes it. :dunno:

2 years? i think most of the people here "need" to upgrade within 6 to 12 mths. :bsmilie:

For my case i am not very concerned about what the body is made of. 5DM2 body looks like toy in front of 1DM3 but IQ you cannot beat.
But looking at samples (i thought canon only give first few sets to those who can test, i don't think they gave these sets to newbies), it is really a turn off.
But again wait and see, when 7D first came out it was also slammed by a lot of ppl but now it is quite stable.

But looking at samples (i thought canon only give first few sets to those who can test, i don't think they gave these sets to newbies), it is really a turn off.

If you are referring the the samples that are posted on the DPReview site, with its preview of the 60D, I would not be surprised. The samples on DPReview have historically always been less than stellar, regardless of the camera brand/model.

The jury is still out on the IQ of the 60D, but I would think that because the same sensor as the 550D and the 7D has been implemented in the 60D, then the IQ would be on par with these two other cameras.

ryan

The same can be said for 50D when it first came out, that camera was slammed too. But now everyone seems to love that cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.