Canon 5d2 now? REALLY NEED HELP FROM 5d2 USERS!!

valenlks

Mar 22, 2011
hi everyone! i've decided to change from 7d to 5d2. but im really confuse if i should really wait for the upgrade of 5d2? pls advice me on the AF speed and whether its worth the value now. Thanks everyone! Truthfully thankful for ur advices!!

There's no news yet for the next upgrade of 5D Mkii. AF speed/accuracy is confirm slower than the 7D. As such, I would advise that you get the 5DMkii for the IQ alone. There's always the B&S when the Mkiii arrives. :)

if no hurry, perhaps just wait a little while. Prices in US is dropping fast. I sold my 2 year old 5D2 a few months ago and got more than the present US selling price.
If you don't mind a resale set, I reckoned you will soon be able to pick up a good deal in BnS.

if no hurry, perhaps just wait a little while. Prices in US is dropping fast. I sold my 2 year old 5D2 a few months ago and got more than the present US selling price.
If you don't mind a resale set, I reckoned you will soon be able to pick up a good deal in BnS.

Agreed. US pricing is consistently below US$2000 now. Very tempted by the price, but one thought about the AF and I told myself I have to wait (I have the original 5D, with identical AF system. Also have the 7D, so I can feel, very painfully, the difference)

I have the original 5D, with identical AF system. Also have the 7D, so I can feel, very painfully, the difference.

I agree with neech7. I have the same setup and the AF difference is very noticeable in favour of the 7D. There is a very slight IQ difference between the two in favour of the 5D. Low light performance again goes to the 5D. I have the same temptation... sell the 5D Mk1 and just go with the 5D mk2!

But when I think about, I plan to wait for the 5D Mk3. The reasoning? Nothing more than knowing that the technology going into the 5D Mk3 will be almost 4 years advanced. That's a lot of technology! The latest cameras are being introduced with ISO's exceeding 100,00 and even 200,000 units. I am sure that the 5D Mk3 will have this feature and many, many others! I think that it will be well worth the wait.

I agree with neech7. I have the same setup and the AF difference is very noticeable in favour of the 7D. There is a very slight IQ difference between the two in favour of the 5D. Low light performance again goes to the 5D. I have the same temptation... sell the 5D Mk1 and just go with the 5D mk2!

But when I think about, I plan to wait for the 5D Mk3. The reasoning? Nothing more than knowing that the technology going into the 5D Mk3 will be almost 4 years advanced. That's a lot of technology! The latest cameras are being introduced with ISO's exceeding 100,00 and even 200,000 units. I am sure that the 5D Mk3 will have this feature and many, many others! I think that it will be well worth the wait.

Just buy the 5D2 and sell when 5D3 comes out.

How about I rent it first to try the AF Speed for a shoot?

If 5d3 employs the same af as 5d2. The ppl waitin for it will be screwed. Put simply, Canon are v good in diversifying their products. They most prob won't let u get the best of both worlds

Btw... what is TS shooting? Do you really really need that fast an AF speed? If not, go for the 5DmkII... it is a fabulous camera. Also you need to ask yourself, do you need that large a pixel count (5DII having more than 20MP.) and with the current Canon's direction, it seemed that they are reducing in pixel counts... so 5DmkIII might only have around 18MP same as 1DX camera.

The next thing that you should look into was the framerate. 7D had faster framerate as compared to 5D.

How about I rent it first to try the AF Speed for a shoot?

i think its better for people to give advise if u provide more deatails.

eg:
- What do u shoot most? Landscape? sports? etc?
- how critical is Image Quality to u? do u do large print? or just usual post on the web ?

or u can rent a 5D MK2 and try it out urself. nothing beats hands-on. Camera rental (Camera Rental Centre - Camera / DSLR / Lens / Video / Studio Rental Service in Singapore) having a discount

380973_10150434272106272_605111271_8692112_627450954_n.jpg

To me, 7D win in term of the AF speed, nos of AF pt, function etc . The thing that 5Dmk2 win compare to 7D, is it a full-frame DSLR. It means a lot to some ppl.
If u dun take sport, fast action stuffs, u won't really miss the function of 7D.

sorry guys! for the lack of info as im new to the forum! i usually shoot still life, portrait and street! seldom of sports and event photography!

So far a lot of professional photographers both in Sungapore and Taiwan I have met use 5DMKII for their work. That shows how reliable the camera is.

hi everyone! i've decided to change from 7d to 5d2. but im really confuse if i should really wait for the upgrade of 5d2? pls advice me on the AF speed and whether its worth the value now. Thanks everyone! Truthfully thankful for ur advices!!

So you have decided or still deciding? :dunno:

For your applications, the 5D2's AF will suffice.

Last edited:
hey sorry! decided already! and i've tried the 5d2! realised that AF is slow in low light?

anyone want to comment on the DOF difference of 5D2 vs 7D?
I guess the decision on which camera also depends such factors.

The DOF for a FF as compared to a crop is linearly proportional to the amount of crop ie. 1.6x for the same field of view.

So a 24-105mm F/4 L IS on a FF is equivalent to 15-65 mm F/2.5 IS on a crop, which makes it wider, longer and faster than a 17-55mm on 7D, and with L lens built and quality construction to boot.

Alternatively, a 17-55mm on a crop is also equivalent to a 27-88 mm F/4.5 on a full frame, therefore it does not have as much reach as the 24-105mm, nor as wide, nor as fast an aperture as well.

Therefore, for those who are wishing for a FF version of the 17-55, the 24-105 L has already exceeded expectations when mounted to FF.

i owned a 500D upgraded to 7D before I changed to 5d2.. lets be honest or atleast for me.. Ultimately, a FF is the goal..
I still missed the af pt selection and fps for fast action..

other than that, 5d2 surpass the 7D in ISO, depth of field, color reproduction etc..
Bottomline, I got no regret in getting 5d2. It just make me smile at my photos taken with it.. =)

valenlks said:
hey sorry! decided already! and i've tried the 5d2! realised that AF is slow in low light?

If you know how to use the 5D2 effectively i.e. focus on contrasty areas with proper AF points, you'll realize that it's AF is not that inferior.

You have to realize that you are using a full frame camera, which is a whole new ball game as compared to crop sensors.