Canon 5D Mk3 = 36mp???

raydio

Jun 25, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Canon 5D Mk3 topping 36 mp's???.... I really don't know but it certainly would nice. Rumours are stating that the new Nikon D800 is being launched with a hefty 36mp sensor!!! (launch date is still unknown). Here are some other features attributed to the new D800:

• Smaller and lighter than D700
  • Resolution: 7360×4912 (36MP)
  • CF+SD memory card slots
  • Slightly larger display
  • Excellent video quality, better than D3s
  • Video modes: 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24
  • AF identical to D3/D700
If the D800 is being introduced with 36 mp's then Canon will probably (but not necessarily) launch the 5D Mk3 with close to the same amount of mp's. I doubt that Canon will duplicate what they did with the 1Ds X at 18 mp's.

It is very interesting that despite the high 36 mp sensor, Nikon will maintain the same advanced AF function as the previous D700. I wonder if this will decrease the number of frames per second capability? Also interesting is that the camera will be smaller and lighter but will have a larger LCD. It promises to be an exciting New Year ahead for both Canon and Nikon users!

woah~! 36 is like a lot!

I am more concerned abt the cost of the body with this sensor.... hope high iso performance will be superb...that's more impt to me..

Are the current lenses able to resolve so many megapixels not?

36mp is impressive. I hope for improvement in the dynamic range performance so we can get closer to MF territory.

hahaha maybe true. Wait for Nikon to announce before Canon do anything now.

We’re heading for some pretty exciting times for EOS in the coming months. Right now Nikon is playing the announcement game with us again, trying to wait for us to do our announcements first, and then them coming with a much stronger announcement just a few days later taking all the press. We’ve been suckers for that a couple of times already, but not anymore. This time they’re going to have to make their announcements first, or there will be none at all.

from It’s official: I’m not Vincent Laforet « Fake Chuck Westfall

If 36mp can be resolved i think they are stepping into Medium Format pretty soon haha.

Canon 5D Mk3 topping 36 mp's???.... I really don't know but it certainly would nice. Rumours are stating that the new Nikon D800 is being launched with a hefty 36mp sensor!!! (launch date is still unknown). Here are some other features attributed to the new D800:

• Smaller and lighter than D700
  • Resolution: 7360×4912 (36MP)
  • CF+SD memory card slots
  • Slightly larger display
  • Excellent video quality, better than D3s
  • Video modes: 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24
  • AF identical to D3/D700
If the D800 is being introduced with 36 mp's then Canon will probably (but not necessarily) launch the 5D Mk3 with close to the same amount of mp's. I doubt that Canon will duplicate what they did with the 1Ds X at 18 mp's.

It is very interesting that despite the high 36 mp sensor, Nikon will maintain the same advanced AF function as the previous D700. I wonder if this will decrease the number of frames per second capability? Also interesting is that the camera will be smaller and lighter but will have a larger LCD. It promises to be an exciting New Year ahead for both Canon and Nikon users!

[*]Smaller and lighter than D700 -
if the camera is really 36MP and packed to the brim with newer technology, I don't see how this camera is going to be smaller or lighter than the D700

[*]Resolution: 7360×4912 (36MP)
That might again be pixel cramping, from reviews, we are know how pixel cramping did to camera, especially at high ISO. Plus this would definitely bring down the processing speed of the camera and so it might limit its frame rate and most probably the memory buffer will suffer too.

[*]CF+SD memory card slots
This is highly possible :)

[*]Slightly larger display
This is highly possible, but not really that useful. What I hope for is a larger display with much better resolution.

[*]Excellent video quality, better than D3s
I think 5DmkII's video quality is already better than D3s and so nothing special here.

[*]Video modes: 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24
Really nothing special here.

[*]AF identical to D3/D700
Most probably, the 5DmkIII will have AF system that is the same as 1DX or with lower spec - similar to 7D.

In actual practice, I do not really think that too many professional will be that excited with huge MP in their camera. 20-24MP is already sufficient for most professionals. 36MP will be overkill and it will definitely step up production cost and overall price of the camera.

very funny - very strange

the canon lenses are NOT able to resolve 36MP !!

(same story with the Nikon lenses)

It will never be..... it will kill the newly launch 1D X.
Which currently stands at 18 Mega pixels.

very funny - very strange

the canon lenses are NOT able to resolve 36MP !!

(same story with the Nikon lenses)
i think 1D X main function is 14fps on FF.

i not surprise is 5D MK3 is 20 or more MP... but 36MP is a bit too high...

anyway let's wait for 5D mk3 to launch first...

well, maybe canon and nikon are switching roles; "the high mp but less impressive noise performance and inferior iq" and the "lower res but better iq and cleaner iso performance roles" :) just a guess..

Stop chasing MP...shoot film...haha

Overkill la..the size of the file to load in the computer...

36MP sensor... :what:
Only professional photographer will need this very high resolution sensor.