Canon 5200F

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeTL

Sep 27, 2004
Anyone have tried this scanner? Is the FARE level 2 the same as ICE?

FARE 2 is not the same at ICE, it is 'technology' by Canon on its own scanner.

So how do they compare? Is it really important to have either?

Planning to get a film scanner and deciding which to buy:
a) canon 9900F - for the resolution(but think that the extra is not important)
b) canon 5200F - for the price
c) epson 4870 - for the digital ICE
d) minolta scan dual

LeeTL said:
So how do they compare? Is it really important to have either?

Planning to get a film scanner and deciding which to buy:
a) canon 9900F - for the resolution(but think that the extra is not important)
b) canon 5200F - for the price
c) epson 4870 - for the digital ICE
d) minolta scan dual

do you plan to scan 35mm negative/slides? and what the final output you are after? (view on screen / printout to S8R etc)

IMHO, the flatbed scanner is still not good enough for 35mm negative scanning even with FARE or ICE.

BUT it a good option for medium format :)

I am planning to scan 35mm negative primarily. The final output is to for printout. Main reason is that I shoot about 4-5 rolls a mth and converting all to cd cost me $6 per roll for 16bit scan. So a 200+ scanner = the price of 50rolls!!!

What do u mean that the output is not good enough? The dmax (I think so) for flatbed seems as good as (especially epson 4870) dedicated scanners, old model at least. Likewise the resolution. Can enlighten?

Anyway, too poor to own a decent MF camera, the cheapest i think is Kiev 60/88.

I agree with Snowcrash, that flatbed scanners are not good enuf for 35mm negative scans same goes for 35mm slides)
For the results, you may want to check out the link below, featuring a flatbed scanner (epson 4870) and a dedicated film scanner (minolta 5400)
http://robertdfeinman.com/tips/epson_4870_tip1.html

The flatbed scanners are more suitable for scanning prints and medium format films.

I would suggest you bring some of your negatives to Funan centre to try out the various scanners at the respective showrooms :- Canon (think is level 3) , Epson (level 4) and Minolta (same level as Challenger store)

Thanks for site.

minolta 5400 is too expensive for me, my wife will murder me. The max size I want would be probably 8R so I reckon I dun need that type of resolution. What abt the comparison between epson 4870, canon 9900F, minolta scan dual and canon 5200F? The 1st three have comparable prices I think.

Will definitely heed ur advise n go to funan but need to know more.

Hi LeeTL,

Concur with the other posters... even highend flatbed film scanners are good enough only medium format and above... 35mm scans are pretty soft, and you can probably find blown out highlights and clogged shadows.

Any recomendation? Minolta scan dual III/IV? 2nd nikon coolscan?

Budget quite tight

I use my 3200F to scan prints to view on screen only and have my negative scan when I process with Grace Digital, Colorlab, Beatiful Memories etc.

The scan they give able to print up to S8R. Save me time to shoot more rather than 'clean dust' and wait for a low end film scanner to scan piece by piece.

Unless you are going for high resolution scan, try my method.

How about the 4200F? :what: Is it a replacement for 3200F???
Wonder when will it be avaliable in singapore?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Features

3200 x 6400dpi with 48 bit colour depth
FAU for up to 4 x 35mm transparencies
Super-fast scan engine
USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
QARE Level 2 dust/scratch removal
Complete software package
4 EZ buttons
Fast Multi-photo mode
Advanced Z-lid

All the power you need for film scanning

A powerful scanner
The beauty of the CanoScan 4200F is that it combines speed, style and outstanding results in every scan. Simple to use, astonishingly effective, it makes short work of producing detailed film and photo scans.

High resolution
The CanoScan 4200F's 3200 x 6400dpi scanning capability is comparable to dedicated film scanners that can cost much more. Such a high resolution easily captures every detail so your images are beautifully sharp and crisp. For colour film, the 48bit colour depth faithfully reproduces shades and tones with incredible quality from the photo original.

A large capacity
A large FAU (Film Adapter Unit) adds power to performance, giving the CanoScan 4200F the capability to handle up to 4 frames of 35mm transparencies in a single operation. The super-fast scan engine together with a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface lets you preview your images in just 2.6 seconds.

Better results
Canon's unique QARE (Quality Automatic Retouching and Enhancement) technology is at its best in the CanoScan 4200F. QARE Level 2 automatically detects and eliminates dust and scratch marks from original prints, saving hours of manual retouching and improving the quality of your scans. It can even restore colour saturation from faded photos and reduce the grain effect from prints taken from high speed film.

Easy to operate
To make scanning simple, the CanoScan 4200F is equipped with 4 EZ buttons, allowing one-touch operation for commonly used functions such as copying filing, scanning or e-mailing. With the advanced Z-lid, you can easily scan thick documents such as magazines or books.

Multiple messages
The CanoScan 4200F features Canon's fast Multi-Photo mode, which allows you to scan up to 10 separate items at one time, then work on each one separately. Multi-Photo automatically identifies, crops and straightens multiple images. It even recognises the type of original you use (35mm film or photo) - all to save you time.

Software supplied
A full range of imaging software completes the CanoScan 4200F package. With ArcSoft, PhotoStudio and OmniPage SE, you can edit and manage your scanned images with ease as well as convert paper documents straight into text files.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are u using the 4bit scan or 16bit? I heard at Grace the cost is $2.5/roll for 4bit. If it is 4bit scan can print 8R and bigger?

Are there any different between 16bit and 4bit? I process the photos sometimes using PS but wonder if 16bit is better?

The flatbed dont quite give good 35mm scans, the high dpi is more for larger formats. A dedicated scanner gives much much better details....y? high DOF. I still use my old coolscan ls2000 for slides scanning work even though it's easier to just pop into the flatbed.

Speaking of flatbed, when I use it to scan photos I dont find the need to go above 600dpi, unless I want to blow up or something....so unless you scan large formats there's hardly any reason to buy a scanner of >1200dpi.

Does the dynamic range matters then? is 3.0 good enough?

chantyeroop said:
I would suggest you bring some of your negatives to Funan centre to try out the various scanners at the respective showrooms :- Canon (think is level 3) , Epson (level 4) and Minolta (same level as Challenger store)

Can we still do this today?

I have the canoscan 4200F and at it's price range its a bargain but... it's not and never will be a film scanner. It does a far better job on negs/slides than my old epson 2450 which went belly up. If true, on it's plus side is a d-range of 3.3, more than enough for negs, in the tolerable range for slides. However, is canon using double speak? 3.3 d-range is excellent for a scanner of this price but if they really mean d-max then it's still good but not spectacular. Forget claims of Quare and Fare 2, it will make negs/slides even softer.. just clean your negs/slides of dust before scanning and edit with PS or whatever manually. Or spend a little more for the 8400F, least it has infrared Fare 3 if you're into trusting a scanner to clean scans. Unless it's so beat up, clean manually.... even digital ice introduces softness, there is no way around that no matter what manufacter's claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.