Canon 50D which combos to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2007
As above is my main topic, i would like to know, is it better to get those kits from Canon or it's recommended to get body only and get the lense elsewhere?

I was looking at the Canon 50D kit III looks tempting to me.

http://site-sg.canon-asia.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=digitalcamera&prod_type=eos50dkit3

Hope people here could provide me with some suggestions =]

Thanks!

If you dont mind having to switch lens, i advise that you save up the additional cost and get the Body Alone. IQ for the 18-200 is not that good compared to other walkabout lens due to the long range, and i do not recommend the Kit II lens (17-85 IS USM i think) as there is crazy barrel distortion which is not very pleasing.

In short, none of the kit lens can suit you for the long run. Advise that you save up for better lens.

Option One:

EOS 50D
Battery Grip (optional)
Tamron AF 17-50 2.8

Option Two:
EOS 50D
Battery Grip (optional)
EF-S 18-55 IS Kit I (Short time usage)

With either option, save up for your long usage lens..for example EF 17-55 IS etc etc

One more advice that people been saying, first use a general walkabout kit lens, which in this case the 18-55 IS as it's cheaper and go out shooting. See which focal range do u use most i.e wide angle or tele end shots, subject group shots or insects etc?
Then when u have made up your mind, get the suitable lens after saving. (i.e 24-105 if you want walkabout with more telephoto emphasis)

edit:minor mistake

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting the 50D body too. To start of, I'd like to get the 50mm lens, but canon.sg has 2 type of these lens(minus the L-series). Which is better? The USM for the quieter function for the MM for the cheaper price? Also for travelling, what's a recommended compact zoom lens?

Basic rule: if you don't know which lens you need or you don't have much experience with DSLR then get the kit lens and start shooting. Discussing lenses without even knowing what 50mm means (in terms of field of view etc.) is like blind people talking about colours. Getting equipment without much knowledge will only make the sales person happy.
Get the kit lens, shoot what you can get and learn from there. There are many people taking great pictures with kit lenses.
Once you know exactly what you need and why you need it - then go and compare the options.

If you dont mind having to switch lens, i advise that you save up the additional cost and get the Body Alone. IQ for the 18-200 is not that good compared to other walkabout lens due to the long range, and i do not recommend the Kit II lens (17-85 IS USM i think) as there is crazy barrel distortion which is not very pleasing.

In short, none of the kit lens can suit you for the long run. Advise that you save up for better lens.

Option One:

EOS 50D
Battery Grip (optional)
Tamron AF 17-50 2.8

Option Two:
EOS 50D
Battery Grip (optional)
EF-S 18-55 IS Kit I (Short time usage)

With either option, save up for your long usage lens..for example EF 17-55 IS etc etc

One more advice that people been saying, first use a general walkabout kit lens, which in this case the 18-55 IS as it's cheaper and go out shooting. See which focal range do u use most i.e wide angle or tele end shots, subject group shots or insects etc?
Then when u have made up your mind, get the suitable lens after saving. (i.e 24-105 if you want walkabout with more telephoto emphasis)

edit:minor mistake

I have a rough idea of what i am going into. Basically, i'll need a wide angle lens as group shots for most of my time and i'll be going into architecture & landscape as well. However, what type of lens suit architecture photography?

Any lens to recommend for wide angle lens?

To start of, I'd like to get the 50mm lens, but canon.sg has 2 type of these lens(minus the L-series). Which is better? The USM for the quieter function for the MM for the cheaper price?

Read the reviews: http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview

Also for travelling, what's a recommended compact zoom lens?

Most people are happy with the range of a kit lens (17..18 - 50..55..70). If you need more range on the wide angle side you better get the Ultra Wide Angle lenses (10-20 etc). The same goes for zoom range. Super zooms like 18-200 can be an option but the trade off is image quality at extreme settings. Finally it's your budget and your decision.

As above is my main topic, i would like to know, is it better to get those kits from Canon or it's recommended to get body only and get the lense elsewhere?

I was looking at the Canon 50D kit III looks tempting to me.

http://site-sg.canon-asia.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=digitalcamera&prod_type=eos50dkit3

Hope people here could provide me with some suggestions =]

Thanks!

Their retail price is really marked up to extreme. $2999. Wow.

I have a rough idea of what i am going into. Basically, i'll need a wide angle lens as group shots for most of my time and i'll be going into architecture & landscape as well. However, what type of lens suit architecture photography?

Any lens to recommend for wide angle lens?

The you probably have to look into something wider than 17 or 18mm. For a cropped camera, try the Canon 10-22.

The you probably have to look into something wider than 17 or 18mm. For a cropped camera, try the Canon 10-22.

Hm..Can i clarify something?

your wider means the focal distance of the camera from the sensor to lense or do you mean the wider angle?

wider focal length...

oh..okay..got it...well, i'll take that into consideration when i'm getting my lense. =] Guess, i'll heed the advise from some user over here. Get a Body and lense will look at some wide angle lense and like you mention, wider focal length. =]

Status
Not open for further replies.