Canon 50D purchase: Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audiojack

Jan 12, 2009
Hello guys, I want to share with you guys my story. I was pretty much going to decide to get the D90 but in the end went with the 50D..did i go wrong and make a wrong decision? Bought a 17-85mm USM lens + the body..I tried 40D/50D/D90 again and I was quite confused..I couldnt get the feel of the D90..it felt quite slightly smaller in my hands since I have pretty huge giant hands and long fingers and my hands might tend to shake around. the plasticky feel didnt feel comfortable too..liked the build and size of the 50D as well as the sturdy build but it seems the Nikon D90 has better reviews compared to the 50D and better image quality/High ISO performance? Liked the button and dial layout/handling as well except only for the handling of the auto-focus which the D90 is more simpler and easier. Bad thing is 50D/40D is pretty heavier than the D90 counterpart due to the magnesium alloy build but feels more sturdier. And I read the 50D performs noisier levels than the 40D at high ISO (But I thought 50D has a higher resolution sensor)? I couldnt tell there since I am first time buyer and I think the grip and feel affected my whole decision.

I know you guys must have say budget blowed!! but my dad was the one paying for it and he pretty much prefered to get the Canon since its better build and has this bias over Canon products as the supreme camera product and he said spend a bit more investing in a good one is better. Hence budget was one of the lower concern. But still pretty much up to my decision. I still have it all in the box unopened and with zechraffie saying he did a change, I might still consider changing but would they refund me the cash back? (Bought frm Alan Photo at $2500 with 4gb card+uvfilter+cleaningkit+canon bag).

Is the grip and handling of a DSLR something that takes time to get used to like the D90? Or greatly choosing the camera with the grip and feel in your hands best is good? Will the Canon 50D be too much for a newbie photographer? (thought it really isnt a concern..can always learn and I dabble in 3D and digital art so photography would be not as daunting)

Not saying I made a bad purchase (I do like the 50D, wish it was lighter) just that I feel uncertain about getting the 50D and unnecessarily wasting his extra cash when I could go for the 40D with better lens (17-55 f2.8? 18-200 IS?) where I read its better in some aspects or D90 with better lens. One thing good is Canon lenses tend to be cheaper than the Nikon counterparts if I want to upgrade later.

Last edited:
Since you've bought the 50D, don't look back. ;)

Obviously at that point of time you felt worth it, hence you went for it.

Don't look back after a purchase. Unless the camera is faulty, you will loose more if you return for an exchange. The shop will not refund cash. At best, they will exchange for items up to the purchase value but don't expect best pricing since it is money in the pocket for the shop already.

The 50D is a good camera. It will have it weaknesses when compared to other models or makes but it has it's strength too. If I am buying a dslr, the 50D will be at the top of my shortlist.

Spend time shooting and reading the manual. I am sure you will enjoy it more than looking back at the purchase decision.

Cheers...

I Bought a 450D just because of budgetary reasons. 50D is a reaaaally good buy. As my dad would always say - its the shooter. not the bow and arrow. go out and enjoy your new toy. :)

I tried 40D/50D/D90 again and I was quite confused..I couldnt get the feel of the D90..it felt quite slightly smaller in my hands since I have pretty huge giant hands and long fingers and my hands might tend to shake around. the plasticky feel didnt feel comfortable too..

Bad thing is 50D/40D is pretty heavier than the D90 counterpart due to the magnesium alloy build but feels more sturdier.

I know you guys must have say budget blowed!! but my dad was the one paying for it and he pretty much prefered to get the Canon since its better build and has this bias over Canon products as the supreme camera product and he said spend a bit more investing in a good one is better.

Care to elaborate? I am confused also.
TS please get yourself cleared first before we can give any advice.

Care to elaborate? I am confused also.
TS please get yourself cleared first before we can give any advice.

Hey there, sorry if I came across confusing.. but what I was trying to tell is a big part of my decision to get the 50D was that I prefer the sturdy body build and size of the 50D as it compliments my big palms and long fingers well compared to the D90/D80/450D which are relatively smaller and I feel I am holding a toy instead. (40D is more or less same as 50D though) Only downside I find is the 50D is heavier at 822g which at first I wanted to get a light body but well for getting a sturdy body build and good grip, you have to forgo a little bit of weight for that.

As for what you said about my dad's comments, he bought a canon powershot tx1 last year and he doesnt know much about DSLR so he asked me to do the research and opinions on the cameras. But he thinks that canon is the better brand and build quality which I won't go into that since I think the above cameras I mentioned do perform more or less the same and its more of the shooter's skill and he doesnt mind to pay a bit more for the 50D when was told the price at the shop.

Sorry for the confusion..hope you are more clear now.

I would suggest you start making pictures with it than worrying about all the things you read on the internet. The 50D is a great tool. So is the 40D. And the D90. And the D300. And the 450D...I could go on, but you get the point. Use it, enjoy it, make some pictures, learn, make some more pictures.

All that talk about performance and frame rates and resolution and review grades is getting in the way of the actual photography. If all that bothers you more than the images you make, I suggest you sell the camera because there isn't one that is perfect.

Buy liao don't look back. Unless you don't mind losing $ in the process of changing.
All I read is review this review that. Since you now have 50D, go out and take pics and do a review of it yourself and see you like the ergonomic in the field and the pictures it produced. Then make the decision based on that.

One thing about camera ergonomic for me is if it works for me, great, I'll carry it around more and take more pics. If it doesn't work for me, I'll either have to get use to it or change.

IQ wise, many factors comes into play such as post processing, the subject, camera, the lens, lighting, composition etc...but a big factor is still the operator behind the lens ;)

Last edited:
Hey there, ...[shortened]
icon10.gif
...hope you are more clear now.

I think in term of camera, it is the matter of preference. Furthermore, now you are considering 1 out of 2 best camps. Either one won't make you wrong. If possible, try out both, see which interface/ system you like most. After that don't look back. A lust for gears won't help in making better photo but will make yourself more confuse.

Years back, when I was still using prosumer camera, Nikon one, the build wise superior but quite dissapointing when I compare to my friend's canon compact DC, canon one. Just want to highlight that your dad's experience with tx1 might not be true but can't go wrong also. Also, don't judge the camera by its handling/look/ external.

My vote will be keep the 50D, lens wise can build up slowly in future. However, personally have no idea with D90 so might be bias.

[To confuse you more] Since budget is not a problem, buy another D90, use for a while, then sell off the other one you don't like in B & S section. :devil: In that case, waste a bit, but really no...no...no...regret [end of confusion]:sweat:

The 50D is a great camera! If concerned that u have made a "wrong" decision, pls dun be.

You would enjoy the better metal body build, the fantastic autofocus, the ease of use, the nice scroll wheel, the multitude of impressive canon range of lens and accessories.
If you can spend a little more to invest some good lens in the future, the 50D will shine even more

The cam is a good and it should be able to serve u well for many of yr needs for long time to come. Cheers and celebrate!

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the feedback...I guess I am too concerned about the various reviews here and there on the internet like ISO performance comparison, noise levels, chromatic aberation etc. There are too many of them and making me more confused after all since I am a first time DSLR buyer and theres no perfect camera anyway. I do really like the 50D firm metal build and the ease of use (imo, i think the ergonomics is better than the d90 slightly). I should enjoy my camera instead and go out and shoot instead of worrying this and that. I think the 17-85mm USM lens will be a good start for my photography exploration. As for photography training, I heard Canon gives a free lesson when you register with them online? 1 day lesson? Besides that, where else can I cover an extensive coverage to learn photography concepts? Anyway I have to get a dry cabinet this weekend probably since I did not buy with it yet and I am going to a trip soon. Hope to learn along the way and take some great pics!

the grass is always greener on the other side. for some people, anyway ;p

perfectly happy with my nikon system. i won't mind the 5D and some L lenses but nothing else from canon tickles me.

u could have just as easily been posting this in the nikon forum, had u got the d90 instead.

just go out and shoot more and make pictures. fretting wun do u any good.;)

james said:
I think in term of camera, it is the matter of preference. Furthermore, now you are considering 1 out of 2 best camps. Either one won't make you wrong. If possible, try out both, see which interface/ system you like most. After that don't look back. A lust for gears won't help in making better photo but will make yourself more confuse.

Years back, when I was still using prosumer camera, Nikon one, the build wise superior but quite dissapointing when I compare to my friend's canon compact DC, canon one. Just want to highlight that your dad's experience with tx1 might not be true but can't go wrong also. Also, don't judge the camera by its handling/look/ external.

My vote will be keep the 50D, lens wise can build up slowly in future. However, personally have no idea with D90 so might be bias.

[To confuse you more] Since budget is not a problem, buy another D90, use for a while, then sell off the other one you don't like in B & S section. In that case, waste a bit, but really no...no...no...regret [end of confusion]

hahaha..ok this one now got budget problem already..get another camera! haha I don't think that is necessary at my beginner level.

since you mentioned that you're new in photography, then it probably won't matter which camera you're using. the differences aren't anything to sweat about, and waste time typing essays online.

go take more pictures!

(wish i listen to my own advice...haha)

Thanks guys for the feedback...I guess I am too concerned about the various reviews here and there on the internet like ISO performance comparison, noise levels, chromatic aberation etc. There are too many of them and making me more confused after all since I am a first time DSLR buyer and theres no perfect camera anyway. I do really like the 50D firm metal build and the ease of use (imo, i think the ergonomics is better than the d90 slightly). I should enjoy my camera instead and go out and shoot instead of worrying this and that. I think the 17-85mm USM lens will be a good start for my photography exploration. As for photography training, I heard Canon gives a free lesson when you register with them online? 1 day lesson? Besides that, where else can I cover an extensive coverage to learn photography concepts? Anyway I have to get a dry cabinet this weekend probably since I did not buy with it yet and I am going to a trip soon. Hope to learn along the way and take some great pics!

The 17-85 is a very nice versatile beginner lens to start. When i started with it, I can learn the diff focal length perspectives, the use (or misuse) of IS, the good and bad thing about the lens, what i can get with an upgrade (or cannot get). It like a good stepping stone for more to come. Good thing is that yr 50D can do better with higher quality lens ie its potential for upgrade and improvement in IQ is yet to be fully awaken. I dun even use 80% of the advanced features of the camera.
Dun worry about trivial things like ISO noise problem, it is no MUCH better or worse than Nikon or Sony equivalent to affect our casual shooting. I think u won't notice too much; i bet i cant tell a diff between a photo taken by 50D and D90 pic at ISO 3200 side by side.

Now to drag you further into the poison, you heard of L lens btw.....? :sweatsm:

Last edited:
@ audiojack - I can relate to your experience. I sold ALL my Canon gears (literally, ALL) and made up my mind to jump into getting a D90, too! When I went to the shop, while I was trying get the feel of it, a 50D was placed right next to for another potential buyer who stood right next to me (who also got one...). Well, to make it short, I went home with a Canon 50D and never looked back!...wait! I still went back to the shop to get a couple of lenses!

boyboy...u could have just as easily been posting this in the nikon forum, had u got the d90 instead.

since u now got your 50D, then start posting in the Canon forum, too! :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
@ audiojack - I can relate to your experience. I sold ALL my Canon gears (literally, ALL) and made up my mind to jump into getting a D90

i get the impression that u are very fickle. whatever u do, pls dun try the same stunt with cars :bsmilie:

anyway, what did u sell with the intention of getting a D90? :think:.. i suppose u had to buy lenses again.

if u sold an an entry-level canon with kit lens, then not so bad lah.. can take it as upgrading;p

Status
Not open for further replies.