Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelbourneGuy

Deregistered
Jan 19, 2009
Hi everybody

I've been waiting for ages for the Canon 500D to come out before buying my first camera. Now that it's out (well available for purchase online at least), I'm waiting to read a thorough review on it. The first I can find is at http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Canon-Rebel-T1i-EOS-500D-Compared-to-Nikon-D90.shtml.

This review mentions that the noise with the Canon 15MP sensor is much higher than the Nikon's at 12MP. I know that it's only judging against the Canon 50D sensor, but given that the 50D sensor has "gapless micro-lenses" and the 500D doesn't, I think the noise in the 500D will be even worse than it is in the 50D.

So I have a dilemma. Do I get the Nikon D90 and accept the fact that its only got 12-bit colour (maybe not an issue in itself but in Adobe post-processing can become a bit of a limitation) and not as many great lenses to choose from (no "L series" equivalent line of lenses), or do I get the Canon and accept its high noise?

Just to give you all the facts, I'm primarily interested in nighttime landscapes and don't really want to look at anything lower than these models (eg not interested in the Canon 450D/1000D or Nikon D40/D60).

get a 无敌兔!:thumbsup::devil:

Sorry I can't read/speak Chinese :(

Nikon does in fact have a lot of great lenses that are just not labelled as explicitly as their Canon counterparts (for example - all the f/2.8 zooms in Nikon's range are excellent - 14-24, 24-70, 70-200). You should get the camera system that your friends (if any) use so you can share lenses - they are much more important than the camera body.

无敌兔 means a Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

Thanks. My friend has a Canon 450D. The reason he chose the Canon was primarily for the lenses available. The L series with their weather sealing, image stabilisation and ring USM focusing are awesome. He tends to think that Nikon lenses look a bit tacky and plasticky (not trying to start a fight...just a humble opinion). And there isn't the sheer range of lenses to choose from...

Not that I'm trying to sound anti-Nikon. I think Canon going for a "more is better" approach to MP is taking a marketing approach at the sacrifice of quality, as stated in the review I posted.

One of the major things I hate about Nikon is a certain guy by the name of Ken Rockwell. Major w@nker if you ask me :)

So... you need ALL the thousands of lenses that Canon makes? How many do you need? Is there a lens that you absolutely need which Canon makes and Nikon doesn't?

Perhaps you might find it somewhere here? ;)
NIKKOR_2_1024.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the pro-grade Nikkor lenses (the constant aperture f/2.8 ones) are also pretty well weather-sealed, like the Canon Ls

One of the major things I hate about Nikon is a certain guy by the name of Ken Rockwell. Major w@nker if you ask me :)

Hey... to each his own. Don't have to worship the guy. Heck, hating a brand because of a guy who isn't even an employee.... sigh... :bsmilie:
He can afford to play with all the expensive toys because of the reviews he does.
w@nker? more like winner to me.

Lol, I get your point. Its nice having options. I mean, sure I'm a newbie now, but its nice down the track being able to keep my investment in lenses and having so much to choose from should I ever need it without having to change brands. Canon does have the reputation when it comes to lenses, right?

Although I am a Canon user, objectively, Nikon's wide angle lenses are somewhat better (especially their FX 14-24/2.8 - godly). Canon apparently makes better telephoto primes (300/2.8, 400/2.8, etc).

i find it absolutely hilarious that someone can talk about weather-sealing and all that in one breath, and in the other be considering a camera body that isn't meant to be really weather-sealed to such high standards. Shouldn't you be comparing the 1DsMkIII and the D3X, perhaps?

Lol, I get your point. Its nice having options. I mean, sure I'm a newbie now, but its nice down the track being able to keep my investment in lenses and having so much to choose from should I ever need it without having to change brands. Canon does have the reputation when it comes to lenses, right?

I mean... you based that statement on what? Hearsay? Whatever you say dude.

pssst, I heard Leica makes good lenses too...

I'm a newbie, and I don't know as much as you do. That's why I'm here, to ask for advice :) I'm not trying to start a flame war.

Weather sealing is something I like in lenses because I want to avoid dust in them. The camera body has a dust cleaning system for its sensor.

And the statement from Ken Rockwell that sealed the deal for me was "The D40 is the only camera you will ever need". Lol :) The bit about me "hating Nikon" because of Ken was a joke, hence the smiley face.

Last edited:
Weather sealing or not, i guess dust is inevitable in them once used for sometime. unless you are living in some clean room or something like that.

comparing the 500D to the D90 isnt doing D90 any justice at all...

Really? Oh. I thought "weather sealing" meant there was no chance of dust getting in at all. I have a lot to learn :)

Is anybody able to shed some light on how much of a disadvantage having a 12-bit A/D converter is compared to a 14-bit A/D? All the reviews I read seem to overlook this.

comparing the 500D to the D90 isnt doing D90 any justice at all...

The only thing that's got me concerned is the 12-bit vs 14-bit issue I've raised...I don't understand it well enough to make a judgement there. The other issue was lenses, which isn't a comparison of the body, but I'll leave that topic alone as it's getting a bit heated... :)

IMO nikon produces better quality build len on their lower series while canon produce superior grade on their high end L-series lens. quote an example,

lower grade nikon vs lower grade canon
18-55kits on nikon definately looks more pro and solid than the canon toy and plastic looking len.

higher grade canon vs higher grade nikon
70-200f2.8 IS with solid white body and metal feel is confirm looks better than the nikon 70-200f2.8VR.

do you guys agree with me?

while one thing is for sure, nikon lens is always alot more higher than the canon on its pricing....

Really? Oh. I thought "weather sealing" meant there was no chance of dust getting in at all. I have a lot to learn :)

Is anybody able to shed some light on how much of a disadvantage having a 12-bit A/D converter is compared to a 14-bit A/D? All the reviews I read seem to overlook this.

I'm a newbie, and I don't know as much as you do. That's why I'm here, to ask for advice :) I'm not trying to start a flame war.

Weather sealing is something I like in lenses because I want to avoid dust in them. The camera body has a dust cleaning system for its sensor.

And the statement from Ken Rockwell that sealed the deal for me was "The D40 is the only camera you will ever need". Lol :) The bit about me "hating Nikon" because of Ken was a joke, hence the smiley face.

Please don't make inflammatory comments about people, and then expect to laugh it off with a smiley face at the end. It's not a nice thing to do. For example, how would you feel if I wrote ".... that MelbourneGuy is a w@nker :) "

I'm not a Ken Rockwell fan. In fact it's commonly remarked that his comments have to be taken with a pinch of salt. His comment about the D40 is not referring to all photographers, especially not the professionals. In fact, even for a fairly experienced hobbyist like myself, I doubt I can really exceed the limits of the D40's capabilities.

You talk about 12-bit vs 14-bit processing and the 50D's supposed gap-less lenses on the sensor, as though it's a highly critical difference which affects your camera choice. So I assume you're some kind of professional. Yet you say it's gonna be your first camera. I'm puzzled.

while one thing is for sure, nikon lens is always alot more higher than the canon on its pricing....

How much did you pay for the 70-200 f/2.8 L?

Taken from the Canon and Nikon subforum
AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED - $2450 (TK, Dec08 - xtemujin) | $2450 (MS, Sep08 - Xiao_Shin) | $2500 (CP, Sep08 - MaZaCA) | $2450 (AP, Nov08 - Joe1031)

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Yen280,000/US$1700) RS$3,300 - CP-M$2,450 (INC. GST)/ CP S$2336.00 (Dec 2008)/ MS$2,565/ TCW$2,800/ AP-F$2,430 (Ex-GST)/ JO$2580/ OP$2650

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.