Canon 400D and 30D sharing lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlepea

Apr 10, 2006
Tampines
Need some advice here. My boyfriend has a 30D and I've just got a 400D. At present, he owns a 17-40mm F4L and a 50mm F1.4.

He's more into events shooting while I would prefer landscapes and architecture.

I like his setup, but to avoid having an exact duplicate of his lenses, what are the good options that i can go for, if i were to build on the existing setup or i have another setup similar to his? (with a reasonable budget) :sweatsm:

Appreciate some genuine advice.

Thanks!

I have the same issues since my brother and I are both using Canon (30D and 20D). Extra thought needs to be put in to what lenses to buy based on:
1. What you both like to shoot? If they are not the same sorts of things you probably wun have that much overlap.
2. Do you shoot stuff together? If you do then you can afford to have different sorts lenses and trade with each other while shooting rather than having a duplicate set.

Anyway, since you're into landscapes and architecture, I'd suggest getting an ultra-wide like the EF-S 10-22 or one of the equivalents from the 3rd-party manufacturers. If you require less distortion for architecture work then you'd probably want a tilt-shift lens. But the Canon one starts at 24mm (not very wide for 1.6x crop bodies) only and is rather expensive.

I've considered the 10-22. (thing thats holding me back is that its an EF-S)

For landscapes, get the EF-S 10-22mm or a 3rd party equivalent like the Sigma 10-20mm. The 3rd party wide angle offerings are usually priced cheaper than Canon.

For him, one of Canon's 70-200mm variants will be great for events and will complement the lineup nicely. There's the 70-200mm f4L (IS and non-IS) and the 70-200mm f2.8L (also in IS/non-IS flavours) They range in price from about ~$1200 for the 70-200mm f4L to ~$2850 for the 70-200mm f2.8L IS. Which one you choose depends on your budget and shooting needs.

EF-S lens are perfect if you see yourself sticking to the 1.6x crop factor bodies for a long time to come. Else, you can consider the 3rd party alternatives from Tamron, Tokina, Sigma.

don't think you would need a 10-22 on a FF camera. so should be ok.

If u don't forsee u or ur bf changing to a 5d or 1d series in the near future i don't think it'll be much of a problem.. the 10-22 is very good for cropped sensors when taking landscapes..

i used to have a problem with ef-s too..until i figured the earliest i'll be able to afford an FF (and L lenses to match) is at least 5-7 yrs away.. in that time i'm better off using something with a suitable focal length, and good image quality... so i'm looking at the 10-22mm as my next purchase...

get a 10-22. cos if you're moving to FF, just steal your bf's 17-40L! =)

You can get the 10-22mm and the 24-105mm L lens. This will suffice all your landscapes and architecture needs.
Cheers.

get a 10-22. cos if you're moving to FF, just steal your bf's 17-40L! =)

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: he might see this.

anyway, thanks everyone for your inputs.. i think 10-22 gets the most votes..
but the price.. 1k+ i could get the same 17-40 L..
hmmm... :think: muz really give it some thought..:bsmilie:

if you got limited budget, tokina 12-24 F4 and sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 is worth a 2nd look :)
not to mention a better construction from the tokina..

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: he might see this.

anyway, thanks everyone for your inputs.. i think 10-22 gets the most votes..
but the price.. 1k+ i could get the same 17-40 L..
hmmm... :think: muz really give it some thought..:bsmilie:
if im using 1.6x, i rather get 10-22 than 17-40... :bsmilie:
17-40 equiv can be easily found from 3rd party solution like 17-50 and its f2.8 somemore. (for 1.6x tho)

hmm.. i must say.. (no offence to those using non-canon lens)
when u've used the canon series, there's no turning back. :bsmilie:
i've seen many instances of ppl using other lens, made a round-about, trying to convince himself that a sigma/tamron/tokina is good enough,. but he still ended up buying canon L. :bsmilie:
the seduction of red..:devil: is not to be taken lightly.

i'm afraid i've already been poisoned. :sweatsm:

thought of getting a macro lens ? or fish eye lens ? somthing to shoot diff styles of shot ? :)

yesh i've been poised by built & quality in USM & IS heee

EF-S lens are perfect if you see yourself sticking to the 1.6x crop factor bodies for a long time to come. Else, you can consider the 3rd party alternatives from Tamron, Tokina, Sigma.

And in fact, EF-S lenses are optimised for digital photography -- MTF graphs indicate better lens contrast, and increased resolving power, which is great! (Read you EF lens Workbook for more details)

That being said, the Tokina 12-24mm f4 is a great lens to consider, pity about the noticeable softness at the edges of the lens. Other than that, it is a great buy!

thought of getting a macro lens ? or fish eye lens ? somthing to shoot diff styles of shot ? :)

yesh i've been poised by built & quality in USM & IS heee

fisheye works better on FF bodies right?

i tot that 1.6x body does not do justice to the lens.. :bsmilie:

thats juz my own opinion.

fisheye works better on FF bodies right?

i tot that 1.6x body does not do justice to the lens.. :bsmilie:

thats juz my own opinion.

The Canon FE works better on a FE. There are DX fisheyes like the Tokina 10-17 that are amazing on a APS-C body.

hmm.. ok.. conclusion is?
to buy 10-22mm?

how about 24-105? is it a good lens to consider too?

Status
Not open for further replies.