Canon 300D mirror drop off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canon_5D said:
Sad to know that there is another victim.

My compact camera Canon A70 was also down (CCD) last year ....

Canon, Canon do not make me down !!!! Was so pround of you. :cry:

I thought you could get the chip replaced for free as it's Sony's fault using the wrong material in the chip's packaging.

dEthANGeL said:
Are you sure 30K? :think: ... i've just hit that amount :sweat: ...

I somehow know the sub-mirror failure problem in the 300D line is common but not the whole mirror coming off. Mine's the first batch of 300D and its still going strong.

Mine was 40K when the shutter died. When i sent it in, they said its normal and its supposed to last only 30K.........Luckily it was with in 1st year, now think i better save up for 2nd shutter replacement.......:sweat:

donkuok said:
it depends the way u use it. My advice is to use high speed shutter sparingly because high speed shutter can shorten the shutter life.

Is that info from a reliable source? Just sounds a little suspect cause the curtains travel at the same speed no matter what the shutter speed.

Anyway, I figure if you need a fast shutter speed to get the desired effect, the shot it more important! ;)

Had a similar problem just recently. Suddenly everything goes black/half frame. Mirror was also half-dropping. When I tried to push it back in, it wouldn't auto focus, but would take pictures well with manual focusing. Brought it to Canon for a look and see. They replaced a mirrror stopper ($5) + service charge ($120 + 5% GST);) Now its working normally again. Took them 2 days to repair.

Edwin Francis said:
Is that info from a reliable source? Just sounds a little suspect cause the curtains travel at the same speed no matter what the shutter speed.
I got the info from an experienced journalist.

Umm for canon's i believe that when you hit the x-sync speed thats the fastest the shutter will travel. Anything faster thatn that the blades move up or down together so the light inters as a thin slit letting less light trhough and simulating that 'faster' shutter speed. So in thoery if you keep shooting below the x-sync speed it should travel slower.

Either that or its always the same speed and they just keep the shutter open longer...

raptor84 said:
Either that or its always the same speed and they just keep the shutter open longer...

Yup, that's right. There's a decent explanation at wikipedia.org
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.