Canon 270EX Flash suitable for 5D?

jeffreywong

Dec 18, 2008
Hi, is there anyone try this flash before on a 5D MK I body? Does it work with this classic body?

My journalist friend uses the 270ex to cover some small events on his 1D Mark IV. I guess it should not be a problem on the 5D.

However you need to take note of the guide number of the flash. If your object is pretty far away, it may not "illuminate" your subject properly and because of this, you will still need a better flash.

My opinion is for you to save till you can afford at least the 430exII. However I must admit that the 270ex do make a good travel flash due to it's compactness.

Hi,

I actually have a similar question. Mine is Canon 7D, and I'm looking at buying 430EX II or 580EX II. Of course 580ex is much better in quality, but also much more expensive. But I have read that 430ex can only be a slave flash.

Do you guys have any recommendation of another type/ brand of flash that is an equivalent of 580ex?

Thanks!

Hi yanitang, You can try Nisssin Di622MK II or Di866. Di622 mkII is similar to 430EX II and Di866 is similar to 580EX MKII.

Im using it,no problem... But pls understand 270EX is not meant for taking photo of concert or etc.Group photo of 6-8 its ok

It will work on 5D.
I'm a happy user of 270EX for my 5Dmkii. ;)

this little pocket dynamo is very good for close quarter combat. love it to bits.

If you're using it on the "5D" and not the "5DMkII", do note that not all the functions of the flash will be available. Things like HSS, FEC are all in-menu selections from the camera, which only appeared from the 40D onwards. The "5D" does not have that the last time I checked ( unless there has been an update ?? ).

Thank you for all friends reply. Thinking to get one for shooting family potrait photo at indoor and travel use.

If it is portability you are looking for, also look at Sunpak RD2000.

If it is portability you are looking for, also look at Sunpak RD2000.

Yes, that would be better for the 5D, if its not the MkII. There is basic FEC adjustment on that flash, so you can get basic adjustment for it without a need for in-camera menu. But, it has no HSS nor Exposure bracketing.
You'll only be able to fully utilise the 270EX if your camera supports in-camera flash control menus.

Hi,

How much is it selling in Singapore?