Canon 180mm macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

i120D

Jan 12, 2005
A newbie here, considering to get the Canon 180mm macro.
Any hands-on comment on this lens? Anyone tested as a portrait lens?
Where should I shop for this lens, or rather, whom should I contact to get this lens at cheaper price, perhaps?
Is it recommended to get it from Malaysia (northern states, not KL area)? since I will be travelling there quite often, anyone got a price comparison?

Thanks in advance and appreciate your comments

:)

It is a rather expensive lens, and there are some almost equally as good 3rd party alternatives out there at about half of its price which are also worth considering. Eg. the 150mm f2.8 Macro from Sigma, and also the 180mm Macro variants from Sigma and Tamron.

Most of the major shops here do carry this particular lens, check out Cathay Photo, Alan Photo, MS Color etc. Pricewise Malaysia might be slightly cheaper, but I do not know by how much more. If you can go there, try obtainining some quotes for the prices, then can compare with local prices.

i120D said:
A newbie here, considering to get the Canon 180mm macro.
Any hands-on comment on this lens? Anyone tested as a portrait lens?
Where should I shop for this lens, or rather, whom should I contact to get this lens at cheaper price, perhaps?
Is it recommended to get it from Malaysia (northern states, not KL area)? since I will be travelling there quite often, anyone got a price comparison?

Thanks in advance and appreciate your comments

:)

Ok here's my comments on the 180mm f3.5 L USM Macro. I've tried it out at Alan Photo in funan (price around $3.2K) and it's quite heavy to hand hold it for macro shots. A tripod is essential to use this lens and the results are very gd for macro...crisp and sharp, especially around f11 - f16. Portrait wise is quite bad as the subject looks flat and not 3D like. If you want a portrait lens, get the 85mm f1.8 USM or if got more cash to spend, get the 85mm f1.2L USM (around $3K+) as i've tried this lens too...it's very sharp for a portrait (at f8-f11) and soft at below f2.

Price comparison u've to do a search.

Will Canon introduce 180mm f/2.8 IS macro?:bsmilie: or 180mm f/3.5 IS macro is good enough!
haha, dreaming for that to happen....:sweatsm:

Ljung said:
Will Canon introduce 180mm f/2.8 IS macro?:bsmilie: or 180mm f/3.5 IS macro is good enough!
haha, dreaming for that to happen....:sweatsm:

So far from what i know, Leica have a 180mm f2.8 macro...but at a very high price.

All I can say about this lens is SHARP SHARP SHARP! Heavy Heavy Heavy! And of course, EX EX EX!;p

Snoweagle said:
So far from what i know, Leica have a 180mm f2.8 macro...but at a very high price.

Leica DOES NOT have a 180 mmf2.8 macro.

Leica has a 180mm f2.8 apo-elmarit which is NOT a macro lens.

Leica has a 100mm f2.8 macro which gives a 1:2 maagnification.

student said:
Leica DOES NOT have a 180 mmf2.8 macro.

Leica has a 180mm f2.8 apo-elmarit which is NOT a macro lens.

Leica has a 100mm f2.8 macro which gives a 1:2 maagnification.

Oh...then must've mistaken le...

I had the chance to use 180mm macro recently...as a portrait lens is not recommended.

The focusing range is very short for normal shooting (portrait...anything other than macro).

Color and sharpness is great.

However it has lot more focusing range for Macro shooting hence I believe it will be very accurate in macro focusing although I didn't try shooting macro with it.

For portrait see picture below. I used manual focusing for these pictures. I'd some problem with auto focusing, it hunts alot when not shooting macro.

DPP_0022.JPG
DPP_0024.JPG

This lens focus very slowly (which is suitable for macro work). This lens can use Canon TC.

alus said:
This lens focus very slowly (which is suitable for macro work). This lens can use Canon TC.

Yes. I forgot. And AF is SLOW SLOW SLOW. :bsmilie:
AF tends to hunt alot in low lightings but who cares, I use full time MF for macro work.

i120D said:
Is it recommended to get it from Malaysia (northern states, not KL area)? since I will be travelling there quite often, anyone got a price comparison?:)
I would be surprised if any of the bigger stores in KL would have a unit in stock except for the Canon concept stores (maybe).. forget about the other states as the stores are even smaller and demand for good lenses are even less. Price wise its probably a bit cheaper than Singapore.

But the Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro is not very gd for portrait shots. Even my 50mm performs better.

If we want to do Macro and Potrait, then Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM can be a good bargain. It is sharp, can serve the purpose for macro and potrait, and much cheaper than 180mm f/3.5L USM.

Just only tripod collar needs to be purchased separately. It is light enough to be mounted to the body when using a tripod (for macro shot especially). Just it is not convenient when you need to change back and forth horizontal (potrait) and vertical (landscape) position of the camera.

alus said:
If we want to do Macro and Potrait, then Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM can be a good bargain. It is sharp, can serve the purpose for macro and potrait, and much cheaper than 180mm f/3.5L USM.

Just only tripod collar needs to be purchased separately. It is light enough to be mounted to the body when using a tripod (for macro shot especially). Just it is not convenient when you need to change back and forth horizontal (potrait) and vertical (landscape) position of the camera.

I've not tried the 100mm on portraits but for macro, it sure is a very gd lens...fast as well!

any reason why this lens is not suitable for portrait? i mean in terms of the 'flatness'.
does it not have the same quality as e.g. 70-200 L taken at 180mm, same setting....
anyone can enlighten?.....

and, thanks a lot for the replies, really helpful :)

i120D said:
any reason why this lens is not suitable for portrait? i mean in terms of the 'flatness'.
does it not have the same quality as e.g. 70-200 L taken at 180mm, same setting....
anyone can enlighten?.....

and, thanks a lot for the replies, really helpful :)

Macro and zoom lens have different constructions which is dedicated to a certain function. A macro lens is dedicated to macro work, a zoom lens is for general purpose use and for portraits, the 85mm f1.2L USM is a top choice. I've tried this lens for portrait and it's really very very gd.

Portrait with 100mm macro (older non-USM) @f2.8, ISO1600:

2912970-lg.jpg

Snoweagle said:
Macro and zoom lens have different constructions which is dedicated to a certain function. A macro lens is dedicated to macro work, a zoom lens is for general purpose use and for portraits, the 85mm f1.2L USM is a top choice. I've tried this lens for portrait and it's really very very gd.

Both 100mm and 180mm are macro lens, any special difference that make the 100mm more suitable as portrait lens? (in terms of picture quality)
is it because 100mm "compromise" a bit on macro function? which makes 180mm better for macro? (again, on quality, not comparing on distance at 1:1 lah....)
just want to understand more....
thanks....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.