Canon 17-40mm vs canon 24-105mm

shuk84

Sep 28, 2009
cck,Singapore
www.flickr.com
i just want to know which one is sharper and can use for General purpose,i'll be using it on a canon 7D,thanks:)

ermm... u are comparing apple and orange leh. both different focal length how to compare?

u can only compare 24-40mm for both lens

anyway i dun think both will be different by too much.

17-40 - small bro
24-105 - big bro
70-200 - big big bro

get all u get a complete family. lol

17-40 got major barrel distortion even at 40mm, that what I get on a 5d2, never tried it on a CMOS before

ermm u sure? i am a 17-40 + 5MKII user also as far as i know from 24mm onwards, the distortion is not as bad as u described.

i just want to know which one is sharper and can use for General purpose and landscape photography...

i just want to know which one is sharper and can use for General purpose and landscape photography...

if u are not particular about wide angle, 24-105 will be suitable. but if u want wide angle... sorry, 24-105 is not wide enough on 7D (with the 1.6 crop factor).

anyway for me i rarely go beyond 50mm (my 85 is very underused!)

cos i am not the sort to 'zoom' into that far.

i believe in walking nearer or further to the subject. so my 35mm is my best friend haha

you can try 15-85mm

17-40 got major barrel distortion even at 40mm, that what I get on a 5d2, never tried it on a CMOS before
how come the sensor type become a factor of lens issue???:think:

5D2 is using CMOS sensor, so you're already using it on a CMOS sensor...:dunno:

My take would be that, if you're doing landscape photography, I think its best to use the 17-40L. I believe that it doesn't matter if its a cropped sensor or a full frame although yes there is a difference. But don't worry too much about the technical details. Focus on actually TAKING the picture.

how come the sensor type become a factor of lens issue???:think:

5D2 is using CMOS sensor, so you're already using it on a CMOS sensor...:dunno:
sorry, got it wrong, 5d is a full frame*
you're not wrong, yes 5D is FF...

im asking for the CMOS thing, how does it affect the lens flaw or barrel distortion? :think:

17-40 mm do not have IS but does it have any effect on the pictures??n how does it perform on 7D without IS??

17-40 mm do not have IS but does it have any effect on the pictures??n how does it perform on 7D without IS??

17-40 no need IS. Its very light and hence handshake very seldom occurs. Unless your hands shakes alot.

I take landscape photography and street photography..17-40mm can take street photography?

any lens also can ah..it just how u approach them nia..:)

24m wide enuff to take landscape???

You can shoot landscape with any lens, it's just how far back you need to move and what is "practical". On a crop body, 24 is a challenge in some cases.

I want to buy another lens but im not sure which lens to buy...the 17-40mm or 24-105mm....I take landscape photography and some time take street photography.I don't like carry so much lens in my bag.

Last edited: