Cannon or Nikon?

Oh my ....... i do not had friend who have been dslr lol ><

Neither have we been a DSLR in former live .... since you are unfamiliar with the topic in general you should be careful with 2nd hand. Otherwise your learning might be a very hard way. Focus on one thing at a time. For now: find out that there is more than Canon and Nikon and that there is no fast answer to your initial question.

Pentax K-7

The salesman at the shop will say all good......................... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

The more expensive, the better. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

As someone said above, it more a case of "..... the camera chooses the owner"

I don't know squat about photography and went to buy a Canon the same as my niece, but as soon as I picked up the Nikon (D200 at the time) my hands fell in love with it.
No logic to it. Now I have a D300s and love that to bits and slowly getting a little better with my shots.

I wish I was in Singapore where you have lots of enthusiasts and clubs.

As someone said above, it more a case of "..... the camera chooses the owner"

I don't know squat about photography and went to buy a Canon the same as my niece, but as soon as I picked up the Nikon (D200 at the time) my hands fell in love with it.
No logic to it. Now I have a D300s and love that to bits and slowly getting a little better with my shots.

I wish I was in Singapore where you have lots of enthusiasts and clubs.

Sounds very "harry potter"
Go down to the shop, and ask if you could try swinging the bodies and see which glows:bsmilie:

The salesman at the shop will say all good.........................
Wrong... He will say that the best brand is the brand that makes him the most money =P

canon entry level feels plasticky to me...
50d onwards feels much better but i ended up on nikon cos the last pc of 50d was on the hands on the customer behind me..

Leica M9.

canon entry level feels plasticky to me...
50d onwards feels much better but i ended up on nikon cos the last pc of 50d was on the hands on the customer behind me..

But I believed the TS is a pretty gal. 50D might be a bit heavy for her. And I feel that the grip is just too wide.

Leica M9.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

T/s, its best that you do not restrict yourself to just these two brands. There are alot of good cameras out there. Do not get it for the sake of because everyone is using it. I hope you have done your research before deciding as to why these two particular models are your choice. As many have said, all cameras have their pros and cons. Best is for you to go out there and have a feel of all the available cameras. Sony for instance is quite good as their entry level dslrs are quite affordable and the weight is quite light too. All the best in hunting for a camera. Oh and welcome to CS.

ehh too cheap le get the leica S2 ><!

You must consider the size too.

M9....................... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

try your friends' cameras, get a fill of it, ask them what they like & dislike about their camera & also their opinion of the other brand.
be patient, take some time to find out details, opinions, and also your likings, whether your are a canon or nikon type.....
of course must compare entry level model vs entry level model (same category), also try the next higher level model & visualise which camp you would progress rather than to switch camp later....(which is costly & time-wasting, rat-race chasing for latest which one is better, rather than concentrate on photography, blaming it on the camera, etc)

I stick to Canon, because:
  1. my first SLR (film) was a canon
  2. I like the wheel dial at the back

between C & N, the rest of the operations quite similar in steps, just layout difference for the basic operations (again comparing entry vs entry, mid vs mid models, etc).
oh.... if I am not wrong Nikon lens usually heavier, some like it (solid feel), but I prefer it light.
some say Nikon has better ergonomics & easier operations, I think some functions are better in C & some in N....so.....:think::dunno:

anyway, I prefer Canon although I don't mind Nikon, when you shoot just do it.....regardless of camera brand, body or lens, just enjoy it :)

Last edited:
try your friends' cameras, get a fill of it, ask them what they like & dislike about their camera & also their opinion of the other brand.
be patient, take some time to find out details, opinions, and also your likings, whether your are a canon or nikon type.....
of course must compare entry level model vs entry level model (same category), also try the next higher level model & visualise which camp you would progress rather than to switch camp later....(which is costly & time-wasting, rat-race chasing for latest which one is better, rather than concentrate on photography, blaming it on the camera, etc)

I stick to Canon, because:
  1. my first SLR (film) was a canon
  2. I like the wheel dial at the back

between C & N, the rest of the operations quite similar in steps, just layout difference for the basic operations (again comparing entry vs entry, mid vs mid models, etc).
oh.... if I am not wrong Nikon lens usually heavier, some like it (solid feel), but I prefer it light.
some say Nikon has better ergonomics & easier operations, I think some functions are better in C & some in N....so.....:think::dunno:

anyway, I prefer Canon although I don't mind Nikon, when you shoot just do it.....regardless of camera brand, body or lens, just enjoy it :)

HeHes , i love the way you talk :D btw. whats fps for ?

Excuse me but I think firearms are banned in Singapore. :D

Any camera is fine. Different people like different camera. So you have to find what works for you. In terms of value, Pentax is packing the most value nowadays in the form of the Kx, followed closely by Sony.