Caning - is it too barbaric?

The fellow is a rapist right?

A friend says that it is "medieval" and should be stopped immediately. But apparently, it is effective as a deterrent leh. :dunno:
If caning or capital punishment were effective then why do we still see such crimes committed in the countries where these sentences are still carried out?

If caning or capital punishment were effective then why do we still see such crimes committed in the countries where these sentences are still carried out?

One can argue that if not for these punishment, there would be even more such crimes.

Just look at US. U will get the answer

Just look at US. U will get the answer

Some men enjoy a good wack: :)

images

Nobody is going to win this argument since it's difficult to quantify the effectiveness of caning. It's the same with death penalty. I think it's fair to say that if you decided to try your luck, be prepared to pay.

So those without have less of such cases? No wonder so many shooting incidents. I still think one has to experience themselves being victim to appreciate what such capital crimes can cause to your life before you can say not to punish the culprit

in that case why punish at all.. let the criminal run free, maybe they will have a revelation and repent later :)

in the USA there is also the barbaric - medieval times - death penalty.
Can someone explain to me why then still
every year 25 000 people in the USA are murdered.
(In 10 years, 250 000 (two-hundred-fifty-thousand) murdered.)

Last edited:
in that case why punish at all.. let the criminal run free, maybe they will have a revelation and repent later :)

This is a controversial issue, along with that of death sentence. Some countries take a more corrective approach instead. To suggest not to cane, is not equivalent to not punishing or not having consequences at all. To cane, carries the intent of deterring and perhaps "learning through pain". As with any method, there will be successful cases and failures.

Do u have an excuse todo wrong ? You know the consequences . You pay for what you do . This is not a place to do it, then go elsewhere .

I believe there is an old saying that goes - "Can't Do The Time, Don't Do The Crime"...

Why would anyone be cane if he/she has commited no crime ?? But for those who refuse to play nice with the rest of society... then you know the punishment...

Last edited:
"Spare the rod and spoil the child"

Caning is a painful reminder to the criminals not to do it again.
In many countries, ex-convicts return to their old ways after release from prisons. That is why these countries crime rate are still very high.

Effective or not, is a long long debate.

Funny no one said caning was barbaric when the British instituted it when they were ruling Singapore....

When the British ruled the Malay peninsula Germany and many other European countries still had capital punishment. While caning still remains being used here more than 50 years later, capital punishment got abolished in other parts of the world. And these countries are not overrun by sky-rocking crime rates.
My question is: why do people still think it is useful when a lot of analysis actually shows something different? Would there be any other form of punishment / correction or do we see the standard reflex here of "has been done this way all the time, no need to change"?