Canadian Passport Photo

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
I read a thread somewhere about one photographer asking where to find the stamp use on Canadian Passport Photo, he/she want to offer passport taking services

I didn't know what stamp is this, so I Google it, found out that the rules of Canadian Passport Photo are very strict, compare to what we have here (Singapore).

Canadian Passport Photo need to be done by a commercial photographer, and follow a long list of technical and specification requirement of passport photo closely,
on top of these, photographers also need to certify photos are taken by him/she and when and where was taken.

not only that, the passport photo also need a guarantor's signature, certify this photo is true likeness of the passport applicant.

Ok, cut long story short, only commercial (professional) photographer can take Canadian passport photos at Canada.

and here we have lots weekend warriors going around shooting weddings, ROM, dinners, all sorts of events, and many business entities come here looking for newbies, students to provide them low cost photography services.

so if professionals still want to make a living with photography, should we go to Canada and offer passport photos services there?

what is your thoughts?

Last edited:
the downside i guess to these strict requirements of having a professional is probably -

licensing - would pro photographers taking passport photos need to be licensed? If so, would the pricing of the license still leave the pro profitable?

"crap" like "continuing education class" requiring the pro to attend time-wasting education (at his/her own expense of money and time) .

taxes. of course. Talk to a tax consultant in Canada

No competition from photo booth :)

You must provide 2 photographs taken by a professional photographer within the last 12 months.
Please read carefully the specifications established by Passport Canada.
Photographs taken in a photo booth will not be accepted.

Interesting. Link to rules: Photos - Passport Canada

Ha, don't think can earn much lah, from what I've read, photos from manned photo kiosks/studios in hypermarts (Costco, Real Canadian Superstore, etc.) also qualify... $8-$10. My guess is that majority of people will opt for these.

The following must be included on the back of one photo:

the name and complete address of the photo studio and the date the photo was taken. The photographer may use a stamp or handwrite this information. Stick-on labels are unacceptable.
your guarantor clearly write: "I certify this to be a true likeness of (applicant's name)" and sign his or her name (unless you are applying to renew a passport, as no guarantor is necessary for renewals).

The stamp itself isn't a requirement, but the information is. Can also handwrite. Technically, this means as long as you've a registered business name/address you can do it, even sole proprietor working out of his apartment. The guarantor part doesn't seem too difficult. Can get family/friends to sign.

Canadian Passport Photo - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
Where to get cheap passport photos (in Ottawa and elsewhere)! >> a peek inside the fishbowl

Last edited:
the Malay aunty in ICA is doing a roaring business with $400 or less in equipment outlay (an ancient printer, an EOS 350D, mirror , hairbrush and adjustable stool ) .... the queue is all day long and non-stop

Any photographer can use Create passport photos online for free - 123PassportPhoto to crop photo for business use. Just take a photo for a customer against a white wall. Upload it to 123passportphoto, crop the photo, download and print it. Then collect $6 from your customer.

The passport photo checklist are here: General Passport Photo Guidelines - 123PassportPhoto

Not sure whether it is possible to set up a photo booth at the MRT next to ICA. No need to go to Canada lah. Hoho...