Can rear caps from different lense of the same mount be used interchangeably?

Akira Fudou

May 24, 2005
Woodlands
I realised that i had taken a wrong rear cap from a lense that was already sold. Though it fit my current lens, im not sure does it affect the mount point on my lense if im using a rear cap from another lens. Any idea?

it can be used interchangably. so far i got no problems with them.

I have problem with the Tamron rear lens caps. Somehow I can only use them on Tamron lenses.

Yep... Tamron rear caps are special in a way,

Camera lens FAIL | Nghia Ho

Read a blog whereby the author's tamron rear cap actually got stuck permanently to his Samyang lens. Pretty freakish if you ask me.

In general, it is fine. Especially for the pop-on caps.. After all, it is the same rear mount..

That said, I have not had any Tamron lens so..

Yup Tamron rear lens cap is different. Look closely at the cap's 3 screw threads and you'll notice they are slightly longer. Even Tamron cap on Tamron lens can go in at 1 position only, ie the open/close mark on cap aligned with the Lens mount dot mark.

I think so too I cant use tamron rear lens caps on nikon lens..

Tamron rear caps are the problematic one so i just buy some generic rear cap and replaced the tamron rear cap since when i out shooting, i will be lazy and just put back any rear cap available

I have problem with the Tamron rear lens caps. Somehow I can only use them on Tamron lenses.

ah yes. tamron is an oddball. it doesnt like my sigma, but it works fine with my 55-250.

sigma on the other hand is the more general one, fits all 3 lenses, along with the canon's original.

Only one to watch out for is Tamron lens caps. I never used those, As soon as I got the lenses, those lens caps go into their boxes directly. Those caps will only go back onto the lenses when they are being sold or given away.

Only one to watch out for is Tamron lens caps. I never used those, As soon as I got the lenses, those lens caps go into their boxes directly. Those caps will only go back onto the lenses when they are being sold or given away.

Same with me. Got extra canon rear caps for use with my Tamron lenses.

There's an odd fit though, for those who wish to try, a tamron cap with Nikon 50 F/1.8 AF-D
Fits very nicely and assuring.

There's an odd fit though, for those who wish to try, a tamron cap with Nikon 50 F/1.8 AF-D
Fits very nicely and assuring.

The tamron lens caps do fit some Nikon lenses... for example, they fit the plastic mounts 18-105, 18-55 and 55-200 very well...