Can i use my 2G handphone in Korea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RtOaNn

Mar 3, 2004
Hougang
www.flickr.com
Hey guys!
I will be going Korea tomorrow,just wanna ask whether my non-3G phone i.e Nokia 6100 can be used there...
Heard from some that only 3G phones can be used.
Can anyone share their experiences?

RtOaNn said:
Hey guys!
I will be going Korea tomorrow,just wanna ask whether my non-3G phone i.e Nokia 6100 can be used there...

Nope on 2G n nope on 3G =( U need a loan CDMA set from your provider to go roam to korea, the GSM sets we're using in SG doesnt work in korea.

Would suggest u contact ur provider ASAP to see if they can get u a loan set by molo hehe also loan sets cant SMS.

Hope it helps hehe n gd luck on ur trip!

RtOaNn said:
Hey guys!

no

u must use 3G phone

I asked Singtel before and they said Nokia N70 will be able to work there. Anyone tried?

gremlin said:
I asked Singtel before and they said Nokia N70 will be able to work there. Anyone tried?
Yo dude, LTNS!

N70 is a 3G phone and to use it requires a 3G card, therefore, confirm can work in Korea :bsmilie:

espn said:
Yo dude, LTNS!

N70 is a 3G phone and to use it requires a 3G card, therefore, confirm can work in Korea :bsmilie:

Heh, yup LTNS :)

Erm, the thing is, the singtel dude told me its ok to use a 2G card on the N70. Still can use in korea. But not many people can confirm this... so just wondering.. hehe

gremlin said:
Heh, yup LTNS :)

Erm, the thing is, the singtel dude told me its ok to use a 2G card on the N70. Still can use in korea. But not many people can confirm this... so just wondering.. hehe

Tell the Singtel guy to fly kite.

3G phone + 2G card cannot use in Korea coz Korea uses CDMA and 3G network.

2G card uses 2G network and NOT available in Korea

If i have a PDA phone tat cliams to be quad band. And the advertisement says can use in anywhere in the world, so does it do CDMA also? Doesn't right? Coz Quad band only means all the different type of GSM net work, once it's CDMA, means it's not the GSM type of system... am i right?

wrx_sti_22b said:
If i have a PDA phone tat cliams to be quad band. And the advertisement says can use in anywhere in the world, so does it do CDMA also? Doesn't right? Coz Quad band only means all the different type of GSM net work, once it's CDMA, means it's not the GSM type of system... am i right?

but then u need the sim card that supports quad band network as well

Dun think the 3G phone here can work in Korea, when u arrived in Incheon just go to KT or the other telco booth to rent a cell phone... much cheaper and better to use... ^^

wrx_sti_22b said:
Quad band? Check up the specs and see whether its:
GSM800, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900

If it is, u are out of luck. GSM, CDMA, UTMS do not talk well to each other. :bsmilie:
Dun be deceived by the words 'quad-band'. I can advertise it as "100-band" phone and claim that u can use it anywhere in the world. But unless its a satellite phone or a UTMS/GSM compatible phone, u are out of luck in Japan & South Korea. :bsmilie:

Sales talk like these really screw the mind out.

espn said:
Yo dude, LTNS!

LTNS = long time no see.

espn's info is correct. Tried and tested in Japan.

So far I never heard anyone use his/her SG phone in Korea or Japan.
But you can loan a phone from service provider to use in these two countries. Proven in Japan with handset from Starhub...

Btw, you can retain your SG phone number with the loan handset....meaning people can still reach you with your existing SG number without dialing any IDD number, calling from SG. I guess the service provider is doing some sort of call forwarding...

Status
Not open for further replies.