Can I DIY Rabbit Cage (two storey) using PVC pipe materials is it possible?

JC1808

Nov 22, 2008
West
Hi all Bros and Sis,

Not sure if I can post here.. can someone help me...

I want to upgrade / improve my existing DIY Rabbit cage DIY from Wire mesh material size : 60 cm W x 90cm L x 90 cm H to a longer and bigger version with wheels( 60 cm W x 160 cm L x 140cm H ) for easy maintance and bigger space for rabbit to move around in the cage up and down. ( plan to adopt one more rabbit, and that will become a bigger cage to house 2 rabbits)

Thinking of using PVC pipe material so that I can wash the cage much more easy. Plan to use the PVC pipe material as the main frame structure for the whole cage top and bottom then either use wire mesh again to close the cage all sides or find other easy maintain materials, not sure if it will hold the weight... I am totally no idea if I can manage to DIY the cage using PVC pipe materials.. need to cut by myself to the length I need? Can drills and install wheels? I need to move the cage occasionally near to the toilet area to wash the cage.

Anyone know where can I get reasonable price PVC pipe with also those joint parts accessories in West area? Maybe I can try to DIY a smaller version frame structure cage as a sample first before purchase the material to built the actual size.

It will be great if someone can suggest a better and cost saving idea...

Jane
:)

Last edited:
Google "DIY rabbit cage" and you may be able to buy what u need or DIY based on the design you see

Last edited:
Hi Shierwin,

been googles when ever have free time during work :p but just cant find the right source...

Well see how... tomorrow continue the research..

One google on youtube I pulled out pages after page on the topic of rabbits and various kinds of cage and cleaning ideas. They should give more then enough ideas as to what others do and why they do it including ideas to how they built it. Sometime materials we want to use might not be possible for some reason even if it means easier ways of cleaning to save us time but at the possible expense of the rabbits' wellbeing

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=do+yourself+rabbit+pet+cage

Hi sammy888,

thanks for stayup late help search and share the youtube link. I had watched almost all video that is related to rabbits pet living style and was great that they are so many owners care for the cute rabbits :)

My princess rabbit had been with me for 2yrs since I adopted her. From my observation within this period of time I realized the current DIY cage that I had similar to some video clip uploaded in youtube, is not so easy to maintain (way to wash it with waterpipe as I need to push the cage ro end of kitchen cage is heavy) I also faced space constrain. Some product I researched with their standard size it wont be able to fix in the space I have.

Thanks for all input I will try my best to find a better way to make this work. I want to give my rabbit a better space to live in and plan to adopt another rabbit when new cage is done.

Last edited:
If your bunnies are toilet trained, you dun really need a cage you know. My bunnies have pretty much free reign over our home most of the time these days... I just use 2 Toyogo plastic trays filled with a layer of litter and leave them in a corner, makes cleaning a lot easier than a cage.

Last edited:
Hi Prismatic,

yes I know, my princess is toilet trained. She is out of the cage whole day (if I am at home) :)

I need to put her in cage when I am away to work as there is no one at home or when my housework cleaning time she need to be in the cage. With a bigger more comfort cage for her will be better.

Now my first step need to google where can I buy those PVC pipe material in West area!

In have some doubts about the usage of PVC. Rabbits like to chew on anything they can find. PVC is a soft material to their teeth, I wouldn't want to try what PVC turns into when it's in the rabbit's stomach.
You can contact House Rabbit Society of Singapore (HRSS - also on FB) for more information about suitable caging material.

hi Octarine,

thanks for the IMPORTANT info!

There are different thickness and hardness of PVC Pipe right? If this material wont work I will trial and find best solution again.

Hi sammy888,

thanks for stayup late help search and share the youtube link. I had watched almost all video that is related to rabbits pet living style and was great that they are so many owners care for the cute rabbits :)

My princess rabbit had been with me for 2yrs since I adopted her. From my observation within this period of time I realized the current DIY cage that I had similar to some video clip uploaded in youtube, is not so easy to maintain (way to wash it with waterpipe as I need to push the cage ro end of kitchen cage is heavy) I also faced space constrain. Some product I researched with their standard size it wont be able to fix in the space I have.

Thanks for all input I will try my best to find a better way to make this work. I want to give my rabbit a better space to live in and plan to adopt another rabbit when new cage is done.

No lah.. took me just 10 seconds.

I used to have rabbits in my home once upon a time. Two. They had deluxe two story condo but spent much of the time running around the house and even outside in the fields. Have great numbers of wild rabbits in my front yard, back yard, everywhere around me. Neat to watch them dance together! :)

I say just buy a nice cage and be done with it...

hi Octarine,
thanks for the IMPORTANT info!
There are different thickness and hardness of PVC Pipe right? If this material wont work I will trial and find best solution again.
So you want to test the strength of PVC vs rabbit teeth by using your rabbits as guinea pigs? There's plenty of wire mesh material available, starting with Daiso $2 per piece up to local companies who prepare mesh materials to your specific order. Many cat owners use such materials to block windows to keep their cats safely indoors.

hi catchlight,

those ready made cage is too small my rabbit is quite big full stretching 60cm long :p.

Thanks all for the input, let me figure out what will be the best solution.

cheers

hi Octarine,

no...I thinking others idea..

How about big fancy antique bird cage or something like that...make spiral staircase in it!

Hey wait a minute...you haven't shown us any rabbit snaps...what is up with that??? haha :D

hi i attach my current DIY cage as you can see the shaded in yellow are area that I cant reach to scrab... whole cage tied with at least more than hundreds of cable ties which is very easy to get cuts on my fresh
also worried rcaused cuts on rabbit.

Have thought to expend the cage using same wire mesh but it will be too heavy I wont be able to move it...had also consider playpen need to get the height 102cm one but the width 92cm x 2 pcs is too big not able to fix in my available space. If get smaller width but the height also become lower

Thinking thinking .... hope to come out some new idea over the weekend.

$ForumRunner_20151002_101556.jpg

How about chinchilla cages? I have seen some really huge ones in Singapore. Just have to make sturdy ramps between the platforms.

Have thought to expend the cage using same wire mesh but it will be too heavy I wont be able to move it...had also consider playpen need to get the height 102cm one but the width 92cm x 2 pcs is too big not able to fix in my available space.

Interesting...

Perhaps you can consider modding something out of those plastic drawers/bins. Drill/cut the plastic and replace with mesh panels for ventilation.

Examples:

11gm5cm.jpg

Source: http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/has-anyone-diyd-a-cage.183599/

30cy4a8.jpg

34p026f.jpg

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/67372-how-to-make-a-bin-cage/

------------

These are for much smaller hamsters, should give a gist of the idea/concept...

Last edited: