Can a700 survive snow in korea?

singadude

Jun 10, 2010
I am planning to go to koreea this dec, which is winter.

Will a700 weather sealing good enough for the weather? I dont have sealed lenses, is it safe to use regular lenses?

If i am using a33, is there any risk on damaging it in the snow?

Or i should just get an olympus e3 then sell it after the trip. Should not lose much, just consider renting..

yes, the snow will cause your lenses to crack

please look at the huge amounts of snow pictures in flickr, and think if people using P&S camera, cheap dslr without weather sealing, old dslr, new dslr... all of them don't seem to end up complaining that their camera kaboomz:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=snow&w=all

please be reassured that your camera will be fine.

Michael Riechmann of Luminous Landscape tested a few cameras in Antartica.

Among them is the A900 with 70-300mm G, 70-200mm G , Sigma 12-24mm and 50-500mm in Sony mount.

All worked well throughout. The Canon 5D Mk II and 1D Mk III failed or had problems.

Read here.

hmmm, so the cautions in the manual is only freaking us out?

and the cracking lens part is a joke right??? but moisture condensation between bus/hotels and snow will be a problem right? How to deal with that?

Have you ever considered where did all these Sony systems originate from?? Camera bodies don't grow weak when they move near the equator ;)

hmmm, so the cautions in the manual is only freaking us out?

and the cracking lens part is a joke right??? but moisture condensation between bus/hotels and snow will be a problem right? How to deal with that?

It will be fine. Please read the "DSLR in cold weather" sticky over at the newbies corner (or general tech talk, I forget).

For the condensation, it's only a possible issue if you go from outdoors into a warmer, HUMID environment. If you do get condensation, just separate lens from body in your hotel room and wait.

Rephrased: The A700 and all your gear will survive the snow FAR better than you will. So stop worrying, go shoot more.

I read somewhere to avoid condensation, you can put your lens in ziplock plastic so the condensation will be on a plastic itself rather than your lens, CMIIAW.

Last year i brought LX-3 to korea in Dec which was about -7 to -15 degree but it works like normal. I didnt pay any extra attention to protect it (even shooting video in snow) and its still working fine now.

Maybe bringing a compact camera there is better than bringing DSLR. (compact is more sealed than dslr i think)

Have you ever considered where did all these Sony systems originate from?? Camera bodies don't grow weak when they move near the equator ;)

lol nice.:thumbsup:

Michael Riechmann of Luminous Landscape tested a few cameras in Antartica.

Among them is the A900 with 70-300mm G, 70-200mm G , Sigma 12-24mm and 50-500mm in Sony mount.

All worked well throughout. The Canon 5D Mk II and 1D Mk III failed or had problems.

Read here.

Beginning of this year, I went to Finland/North Pole and brought a entry level DSLR in -30C. In fact, my fingers gave up before the camera. Without any weather sealing etc, I was still able to snap away.

Korea's weather is a piece of cake.

Beginning of this year, I went to Finland/North Pole and brought a entry level DSLR in -30C. In fact, my fingers gave up before the camera. Without any weather sealing etc, I was still able to snap away.

Korea's weather is a piece of cake.

Bro, what are you doing in North Pole... stalking the Polar bears ??:bsmilie:

My D300 survived a -14 degree, 2 knot wind and white out condition in Jeju Korea 2 years back, it was so bad that we couldn't see more than 5 metres infront of us, good thing the wind died down after 20 mins. Just remember to keep the camera close to your body 5-10 mins before boarding your tour bus after shooting in sub zero conditions. The bus is a toasty 30 degrees and condensation would occur most likely after outdoor to bus. Wipe off all snow on your DSLR especially around the lens mount area. The bus temperature turns snow to water instantly.

No reason why your camera wouldn't survive the winter. Have fun! Don't know if my NEX 5 can survive a winter thou? :)

Last edited:
No reason why your camera wouldn't survive the winter. Have fun! Don't know if my NEX 5 can survive a winter thou? :)

With less moving parts, it's more likely to survive actually.

I am planning to go to koreea this dec, which is winter.

Will a700 weather sealing good enough for the weather? I dont have sealed lenses, is it safe to use regular lenses?

If i am using a33, is there any risk on damaging it in the snow?

Or i should just get an olympus e3 then sell it after the trip. Should not lose much, just consider renting..

yes, it can withstand very low temperatures, but do becareful of condensation droplets when entering a warmer place.... once the water entered your sensor and circuit boards internally.. u can say good bye to a700

yes, it can withstand very low temperatures, but do becareful of condensation droplets when entering a warmer place.... once the water entered your sensor and circuit boards internally.. u can say good bye to a700

not completely true
There is a story of one person dropped his a700 in the pool, and the a700 survive, but LCD died. Lens show water residue...

I've been out in the pouring rain with an A700. Nothing happened.

Bro, what are you doing in North Pole... stalking the Polar bears ??:bsmilie:

When you are in Finland, going to noth pole or the artic circle is not that difficult. There are many boats who will take you there for a small fee.

Contrary to popular beliefs, I hardly see any polar bears. North Pole is only a spot on the map. You can't see it physically. You can experience the event by seeing the compass with your own eyes. The tour last 14 days not counting the time you spend in Finland.

PM me if you're interested to go. Total cost per person is about 25K Euros. :cool: