Can 300D withstand cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichris

Sep 7, 2003
Interested to get 300D with kit set for my travel use but I'm just wondering if it can withstand the cold in Annapurna, Nepal?

If I were to buy another len, which would you recommend me to get for scenic and wildlife photography? My budget is below $400.

Thanks for your advice!

I am not sure about freezing condition but I brought the camera up with me during my Mt. Kinabalu trip. I worked fine. The conditions was below 5 degree celcius with high speed wind.

I think the camera survive the cold better than I did(ie in winter wear with gloves). Finger and ear went numb.

I only brought up the camera and the kit len.

STboy said:
I am not sure about freezing condition but I brought the camera up with me during my Mt. Kinabalu trip. I worked fine. The conditions was below 5 degree celcius with high speed wind.

If u r going all the way up to Annapurna Base Camp (4130m) in the winter (Nov/Dec), the day temperature is usually just above freezing in the day... but tempt will dip more at night... about the kind of temperature as mentioned by STboy... but do bear in mind that u'll spend much more days up in the Annapurna Trek than Mt. Kinabalu... so do gather more info before heading up there with ur 300D...

But I got a feeling that it shld withstand the cold well... :) Btw, the views u're gonna see will be nothing short of spectacular... :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, last read from a forum somewhere (can't remember which forum) that the camera bag is extremely important in cold weather to keep the camera (especially digital camera) warm up before use. Any truth in that?

I've brought this 300D to Korea Everland theme park during my last year winter trip, the temperature is about +4deg C. It's works well. No problem at all.

Foveon said:
I've brought this 300D to Korea Everland theme park during my last year winter trip, the temperature is about +4deg C. It's works well. No problem at all.
Sorry for the typo, is -4deg C.

Of course it will work in cold condition. Nothing to worry lah.

Dun forget about the batteries...!!

Yes, the major problem lies in the batteries and not the camera. I believe the life span of the battery drops to half its usual performance under such cold conditions. It is usually recommended that u bring spare batts and keep them in ur jacket to warm them b4 use ;)

Shouldn't be a problem, non-pro cams or even point-and-shoot cameras can withstand -20 deg C easily. Condensation won't be much of a problem if the air is dry (most probably is) even in the hotel room or lobby. Just remember to bring an additional battery and most importantly the charger. Since you are going to Nepal, buy at least 5 more batteries, 1 battery for 1 day.

get a 20d with batt grip
then can attach AA batts and keep them in your pocket while you shoot :D

Status
Not open for further replies.