Camera's Functions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by copland

Maybe you can persuade cwloo to sell you his A20 so that he can buy the A40 :)

ah??? lol :bsmilie:

He very gian at A40 now huh?

/me go check the review on A20 :D

A20 is one of the best 2MP digi cam for learning. Only shortcoming is lack of low light capability and manual controls. It makes up with great vivid colours and sharpness.

Originally posted by revenant

ah??? lol :bsmilie:

He very gian at A40 now huh?

/me go check the review on A20 :D

You just need to cho cho him a bit :)

I feel that if you really really really want to learn more, you should at least get a digital cam that can let you shoot in Av and Tv mode. How many MP doesn't matter. (Av - Aperture Value, you set the F-stop and the camera will set the shutter speed, Tv - Time Value, you set the shutter speed, the camera will set the appropriate F-stop).

Next, go and shoot a lot of pictures. I mean _A LOT_. Then you'll appreciate what Flare and gang is trying to describe here :p

However, do note that consumer digital camera had its fair share of limitations. One of them is that you'll never really get good background blur. Next is that your choice of F-stop and shutter speeds will be greatly limited so you may not be able to experiment certain techniques. Lastly, you get a fixed lens, so you can't see what a wide/tele lens can do for you.

Good thing is that you get instant preview! :)

Regards,
JK

Maybe I need you guys to help out a bit? :D kidding...

hmm...... A20 not so good for night shot?

A20 max shutter is 1 sec. So not good. Maybe shd just buy A30.

A20 max shutter is 1 sec. So not good. Maybe shd just buy A30.

Only that? But A20 more pixel :D

Anyway, how much is the A20 and A30 at AP? IF you had any idea?

Only that? But A20 more pixel :D

Anyway, how much is the A20 and A30 at AP? IF you had any idea?

Dunno the price but it shd be $50 to $80 less than the A40.

Guys I got another question.

What's those ISO nubmers in film for? ISO100, 200, 400. In digital cam, it seems that lower ISO produce better quality but for film cam, it seems the opposite?

Can someone explain?

Guys I got another question.

What's those ISO nubmers in film for? ISO100, 200, 400. In digital cam, it seems that lower ISO produce better quality but for film cam, it seems the opposite?

Can someone explain?

There's no opposite. Its the same with film. Faster film more grain.

A higher ISO allows you to use a shorter exposure, a faster shutter speed, a smaller aperture... But the resolution is not so good with high ISO film compared to one of a lower ISO... The effect of high ISO is more obvious for digital cameras, which has more noise (random nonsense pixels)especially those without noise reduction (NR).... Like mine
;p

Originally posted by Flare
A higher ISO allows you to use a shorter exposure, a faster shutter speed, a smaller aperture... But the resolution is not so good with high ISO film compared to one of a lower ISO... The effect of high ISO is more obvious for digital cameras, which has more noise (random nonsense pixels)especially those without noise reduction (NR).... Like mine
;p

Oh, that means a higher ISO film will have better night shots than those lower? But in normal circumstances, the lower ISO should have a better quality picture? icic...

My mom always buy the ISO400 one but the photos developed looks not bad also.

Oh, that means a higher ISO film will have better night shots than those lower? But in normal circumstances, the lower ISO should have a better quality picture? icic...

My mom always buy the ISO400 one but the photos developed looks not bad also.

I used to think that getting ISO400 films will have better quality pictures but it is not true. It is just that the film is more sensitive to light. Hence, the same night shot taken on a ISO100 vs ISO400 film, the latter will look better.

The graininess of the pictures from ISO400 quite obvious. At first I thot film spoil as it was near the expiry date. Learnt from here that its the trade off you have to make. Same rules apply for digital camera.

cool~

hey erm, how to make use of the digital zoom? via Photoshop?

But I see those photos enlarged by digital zoom looks fake. It's like cutting the unwanted parts off and paste the pic in photoshop and enlarge it.

cool~

hey erm, how to make use of the digital zoom? via Photoshop?

But I see those photos enlarged by digital zoom looks fake. It's like cutting the unwanted parts off and paste the pic in photoshop and enlarge it.

Night shots... if you are using a tripod and can afford a long exposure... I'll choose a low ISO for a digital camera... there's a lot of noise for high ISO shots... And how to you define better night shots? If you are saying using flash to illuminate the foreground and trying to catch some of the background at the same time using a film p&S... high ISO would be "better"...

And yah... that's Digital Zoom... and that's the same way how digital cameras do a digital zoom.

Originally posted by Flare

Night shots... if you are using a tripod and can afford a long exposure... I'll choose a low ISO for a digital camera... there's a lot of noise for high ISO shots... And how to you define better night shots? If you are saying using flash to illuminate the foreground and trying to catch some of the background at the same time using a film p&S... high ISO would be "better"...

And yah... that's Digital Zoom... and that's the same way how digital cameras do a digital zoom.

erm..... long exposure means slower shutter speed huh? is the long exposure for more lights to enter? along with smaller aperture?

Then what's the difference with 2x digital zoom and 10x digital zoom? Since both are enlarged in the same way.

erm..... long exposure means slower shutter speed huh? is the long exposure for more lights to enter? along with smaller aperture?

Then what's the difference with 2x digital zoom and 10x digital zoom? Since both are enlarged in the same way.

2x vs 10x? the diff is in the amount of enlargement.

2x vs 10x? the diff is in the amount of enlargement.

amount of enlargement? care to elaborate more?

Is there a same drop of quality when both are enlarged the same amount?

Long exposure is very slow shutter speed, and allows more light to enter... perhaps of a few seconds... The aperture settings will depends... if you are shooting say boat quay at night... due to the little amount of light available, you may need both a slow shutter and a wide aperture to gather sufficient light. Especially if there's limitation due tothe camera. Say your camera's longest shutter is 4 seconds, but at 4 seconds with a small aperture, you still cannot correctly expose the shot, you may need to use a wider aperture along with a 4 second aperture to achieve the correct exposure.

For digital zoom, the more enlargement you make, the poorer the end quality. Since digital enlargement uses what information available to create the extra pixels, the more extra information creat the poorer the quality... Let's say you have 1 pixel, and do a 2x digital enlargement, from 1 pixel, you make 4 more (2x the width and 2x the length)... if you make a 10x enlargement... you are making up 100 pixels (10 by 10) from 1 pixel... so say the pixel is green, you just make 100 pixels of green... so the image may be larger... it'll look ugly... compared to a smaller picture...

I'll make up some example images later...
=)

Status
Not open for further replies.