Camera white balance setting

voice123

Jan 16, 2012
Singapore
I have read somewhere that if you use AWB, the camera will look for something white and try to compensate and make the area look white in the photo.
I have been using AWB almost 100% of the time...as I dont know how set them correctly. I notice that without changing any camera setting
and shooting at the same place the auto white balance will produce photo with different lightning not sure if exposure play apart in this.

This will be annoying when you want to stitch photo and you notice 5 photos all lights differently but all shooting at same place with same setting.

Last edited:
I have read somewhere that if you use AWB, the camera will look for something white and try to compensate and make the area look white in the photo.
I have been using AWB almost 100% of the time...as I dont know how set them correctly. I notice that without changing any camera setting
and shooting at the same place the auto white balance will produce photo with different lightning not sure if exposure play apart in this.

This will be annoying when you want to stitch photo and you notice 5 photos all lights differently but all shooting at same place with same setting.

If you shoot RAW, WB is not an issue. If you want to stitch, go into LR, adjust WB for one photo, then select all the images in the pano and sync the white balance.

IMHO, white balance is more of colour temperature, like cooler (bluish) or hotter (reddish). Exposure is.. well bright and dark.

If you shoot 5 photos outdoor under the sun (assuming the sun is the only, uniform, multi directional light source), you should be more or less OK in terms of white balance, since it's all uniform.

A classic example of white balance problem is when your subject is under multiple, different lighting colours, such as on a performance stage. But normally this is the dramatic effect we want to achieve :)

To be sure that exposure is always consistent (or according to your taste), use your camera in manual mode and adjust (or not adjust) accordingly.

If you want to adjust the WB, go to your camera menu settings (click the "menu" button). It's there on one of the sub menus.

Like what brapodam said above, you can shoot RAW and edit the WB later.

If you shoot RAW, WB is not an issue. If you want to stitch, go into LR, adjust WB for one photo, then select all the images in the pano and sync the white balance.

oh ok...i will try it...didnt think of that

RAW must have the patience to process the photos. I always shoot in RAW + JPEG. JPEG just for the sake of distributing to friends. I will then process the RAW when I have the time