Camera setup for shooting child birth

Golgotha

Aug 20, 2004
Melbourne/Singapore
It sure if this question falls under this category. Is there anyone who has shot during a child birth? What are the things to look out for or restrictions? The ideal camera setup, not necessary the brand of camera n lens but rather the ISP, the f-stops etc.

Thanks.

* I meant set up, can Mods help change the title?*

Last edited:
Use a point and shoot, full auto. Best if no flash. Or even any DSLR, kit lens, full auto. You won't have time to mess around with settings (it will keep on changing), and should focus on helping your wife instead of playing with a camera.

The ISP? Internet Service Provider?

I'm guessing you mean ISO. Hospital delivery wards are well lit. Aperture? Around f/5.6 is good enough - you don't want too shallow a DOF.

Also, ensure the hospital allows it.

f2.8 lens or faster will help.
ISO up to 3200 will be used even with a f2.8 lens.
Not much of a problem for cameras nowadays.
Lighting in the ward will depend on hospital.
Personally for me, Mt E lighting was much better than Thomson.

IMO, even if its noisy ISO51200, I'd use it if necessary cause its acceptable in B&W and its an important moment no matter noisy or not.

Got 2 option for shoot in give brith baby without using flash.

Panasonic LX3 or LX5

DSLR with f1.8 and used ISO : 3200 and above.

Why used with LX3?? Cause the LX3 in 24mm f2 and come with VR function, this is really works for my 1st daughter.

TS do you already have a dslr or mirrorless and you are looking for lens? Or you are looking to purchase new camera for taking pictures of your baby? If you getting new system there will be many options but only limitation is your budget. If you are just want to capture picture bright enough without flash you can just get a consumer camera with fast lens. If you want something more than that you can consider mirrorless or dslr which usually have much better iso performance. You can also consider hybrid like x10,x100.

Many options..

Sorry TS I may have mistaken your post, I guess you are asking our preference of setting and gear and not suggesting to you.

I would prefer a good mirrorless + 25mm f1.4 for its compactness not compromising its speed and iq much. I was using dslr but I can foresee I will be using my Mirrorless more since I have a new born and it will be lighter for me to carry around.

Thanks for the replies. Typos cause by iPhone/ipad auto correct. I use to have a 5D2, but now using a X100.

Use a camcorder. Unless you can train yourself not to be overhyped once the head appears....in which case most likely will forget about photo taking.

Use video to film the process, iPhone to snap the pictures.

I believe all hospitals allows this. Got no issue at all when mine 2 kids were born.

Think u have to speak to ur GYNAE. Mine was kkh senior consultant and she don't like pple film so I have to do it discretely with a small p&s and iPhone.

My daughter just came out 3 weeks ago, and was at SGH, they also don't allow taking pictures or videos during the delivery. They only allow after they have verified that the baby is healthy or good. so you have to ask yr gynae or probably better to check with the mid-wives whether they allow or not. If yes, I think yr X100 is good enough, just shoot after you cut the cord. Also if Caesarian, then forget about it. No chance.

Golgotha said:
It sure if this question falls under this category. Is there anyone who has shot during a child birth? What are the things to look out for or restrictions? The ideal camera setup, not necessary the brand of camera n lens but rather the ISP, the f-stops etc.

Thanks.

All hospitals here that deliver babies have guided tours. You can make good use of the tour to check out how the delivery ward is like and the general lighting conditions and ask if you can take photo.

Golgotha said:

Thanks.

Btw, for a moment, I almost thought that you wanted to do a live web telecast over the Internet to share the moment with the rest who can't be there and asking how to do it....

I have my camera with me in the delivery ward however I was besides my wife when she was in labour. I don't think it's right to enjoy taking photo while wife was in pain, however after my baby girl was born my gynae was actually shouting at me (in a joking tone) to quickly take out my camera and take the clock for the time of birth and baby photo. I supposed my gynae believe those were moments we should captured down.

My daughter just came out 3 weeks ago, and was at SGH, they also don't allow taking pictures or videos during the delivery. They only allow after they have verified that the baby is healthy or good. so you have to ask yr gynae or probably better to check with the mid-wives whether they allow or not. If yes, I think yr X100 is good enough, just shoot after you cut the cord. Also if Caesarian, then forget about it. No chance.

subzero said:
I have my camera with me in the delivery ward however I was besides my wife when she was in labour. I don't think it's right to enjoy taking photo while wife was in pain, however after my baby girl was born my gynae was actually shouting at me (in a joking tone) to quickly take out my camera and take the clock for the time of birth and baby photo. I supposed my gynae believe those were moments we should captured down.

That's a very good idea.