Camera repair: D800 mirror flip/shutter error

lynkhine

Dec 23, 2013
Singapore
Hi,

I'm wondering where I can go for repair of my D800.

A few days ago, the camera shutter stops clicking. I've tried live-view and the mirror is not flipping. Also the "mirror lock up" mechanism is not working because the mirror cannot flip.

I've checked with Nikon Singapore Service center, they suggest the entire shutter/mirror unit to be replaced. But I feel the shutter is still working OK, maybe I've reached 90k shutter clicks, much below the 150k average shutter life.

I think the problem is with mechanism for lifting the mirror, rather than shutter unit, because the shutter seems to be still clicking. Of course, the easy way out is to replace the entire shutter unit. I'd like to leave that as the last resort.

Anyway, looking options where I can get this repaired, besides Nikon Singapore.

Thanks!

Look for David Hilos @98151974
He is a nice guy

I haven't post for a while :embrass:

I didn't had the chance to fix lynkhine's camera but had the chance to fix other D800 with similar problem.

The problem is the mechanism lifting the mirror.

The metal part is detached from the mirror

Pushing the metal piece with a screwdriver puts it in place but it looks like a plastic rivet was damaged. To reattach, either melt the rivet with a soldering iron or use a strong glue

Of course NSC won't want to do all these for TS lah. The simplest and safest is to replace mah. Luckily we got people like you. :vhappy: