Camera carrying system

Maltese

Mar 21, 2005
Singapore
I'm trying to get more opinions on the various camera carrying systems, best if you have used it for a period of time and share with us what you like and dislike about it :

1. R strap
Dislike
Well there is still a strap. I take alot of animal photography and the straps even though are better than the conventional 1s which when drop from my hands, they usually come forward to take a look and that breaks the pose.

When I use a sling bag at anytime, I feel like having too many straps on me. I love this only when I can leave my bag somewhere and only carry 1 setup with me running around with the subject but this kind of assignment is rather rare.

the reason I will buy
The strap acts like a support when u push it out (you have to adjust it just nice where you hold your camera to your eye level) while shooting and it eliminates camera shake esp if you have shaky hands or you have a very light camera body. Not saying that it can replace a tripod but definitely enough if you have no pods with you.

2. Cotton carrier
Dislike
It looks sooooooo stupid with this vest thingy. I noe I can hide it behind a windbreaker or photovest but I will never wear them in warm and humid country so I can't really conceal them well at all.

I love it when I'm overseas and it acts like a added protection (warmth dun think will stop bullet). But when you fall face down with camera at the chest, you feel double heart pain.

The waist system is what I'm going to be using it primarily. But with a flash and body, I dunno how it feels being at the side, spider holster seems more logical.

Also its hard to expand the system. You need 1 more belt at the side say you have another videocam on top of the already kua zhang chest and side holster. You will look like a SOF guy on a mission to save some kidnapped lady.

the reason I will buy
secure, and dun rotate around like spider holster. It stays at a place and you can really move around, climb stairs, running after animals, humans and you don't feel like running SOC. Best for trek and hikes not only on the chest level but even at the waist, if you have a good belt already.

3. Spider holster
Dislikes
reminds me of SOC runs where I have to hold on my rifle when running and I hate that. I usually tighten it with the sling when I start running down the slope more like what CC are doing on their vest.

Very shaky feel...have to overcome that.

Every single decent item you want to dangle need a plate....and its so inconvenient with the weight plus the stupid pin sticking out. It just adds on to the waist burden with every item+plate weight. Also you can't even place it on the table which you aren't suppose to have anyway since if you are shooting in studio or places where you can put gear, why bother to use a carrying system?

The plate allows you to stack on other tripod plates...which I just feels there are too many plates already. Also for some models, you can obstruct the battery compartment.

the reason I will buy
cool, small and not very eye catchy. Looks more natural to me at the side. Shirt tuck out can cover the belt and the clip. Its more handy and less obvious esp when you go touring and last thing you want to do is to shout
I'M CARRYING AN EXPENSIVE SETUP THAT EVEN MY CARRYING SYSTEM IS SO SPECIAL!

Also you dun have to use their belt if you have a lighter setup just go orchard run with the clip at the normal belt I think its quite cool if you have shirt tugging out. I prob will use this more than any other system.

with full telephoto, body with battery grip and flash, it dangles more naturally at the side. But trust me you dun want to run with this setup I rather hold it at chest level. 1st is you scare knocks if u leave at at the side, 2nd you don't want extra burden of the jerky weight at your waist.

Also great expandability. Get another clip you can have 2 camera bodies, add another 1 at the side for your smaller videocam etc. With 3 or 4 clips you still dun look like a SOF guard but more like xmas tree.:cry:

whats your take?:)

Last edited:
none of above...

I cant put on my Arca-swiss type plate.

My answer will be the same as egnaro :)

hmm...i haven't try that yet coz i dun use plates on them when i used them outdoors. Not even the spider plate? I havent try my RRS plate on them yet what other AC plates wouldn't work on them? Kirk? Acratech?

R-Strap, is a good carrying system provided you're not against straps like me.

Cotton Carrier is something I will never consider. Too weird for me as a casual photo taking guy.

Spider Holster, you pretty guess by now. The only two hassles are to remove/attach the pin and carrying the wrench. Check out my Spider Holster improvisation.

I own both the Rstrap RS4 and the CC. Different systems for different situations. When i'm on assignment with more than one camera i shoot with the CC. When I'm on assignment with only one camera and a couple of lenses I use a think tank belt system with pouches. When I'm shooting for fun such as at a friends gathering etc, I use the Rstrap and bring my camera out like that.

I use a Canon 1DMark2N mounted to either 17-40L, 50 1.4 or 70-200 2.8L IS.

My camera has an L plate for tripods, but taking out the CC insert or Rstrap fastenr is ok anyway.

Despite the availability of all the innovative straps in the market today, I still have to say that this is IMO the best camera strap for the amateur, hobbyist and weekend warrior.

http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=52&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4

This allows me to use the vertical grip without hindrance, and is comfortable enough to sling on the shoulders. Best part is that it only costs $35.

best carrying system...no matter what people say, the SBO style is the most flexible in my opinion.

Erm why not? I'm using R strap with modification.

just use the arca-swiss plate and change the bolt to those with ring? then it dun use those come with R-Strap issit?

Are you referring to this method?

if yes, no I scare...

if no, please let me know how u modified, TIA

21022010_002.jpg

21022010_001.jpg

21022010.jpg

http://www.pixelatedimage.com/blog/2008/12/pimping-the-r-strap/

I did as shown in the pics. Basically figure of 8 and buntline hitch. The rope bought from campus corner. Sorry as I don't have a second camera and I used my hp camera.

The black parts are actually the loose ends which I burned and taped up. I tied it such that the lengths are just about right at the centre. I did two because I fear the possibilty of the knob of the battery grip loosening.

It's very safe. In fact, I feel more secure with this setup than the original one and I travelled with this setup.

just use the arca-swiss plate and change the bolt to those with ring? then it dun use those come with R-Strap issit?

Are you referring to this method?

if yes, no I scare...

if no, please let me know how u modified, TIA

none of above...

I cant put on my Arca-swiss type plate.

Spider Holster has released some new accessories which include a Arca-Swiss plate that fits onto the Spider Plate.

Another alternative is to fit your existing plate onto the Spider Plate using one of the 2 mounting holes near the center screw, but of course the plate would be slightly off center.