Cable Release Bracket ~ Homemade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ark19

Jan 17, 2002
SG
Hi Guys, came across a site on making a bracket for Coolpix 950.
http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.html

Decided to make one for my C700UZ :)

Why?
To shoot a long exposure (especially night scenes), we have to use timer mode to prevent shaking while shooting.

But its very annoying to wait for the timer to fire!

And the Olympus guys did not include a cable release function nor a remote control.

Thus, I decided to follow the guide and made this!

P4140125.jpg

P4140145.jpg

Materials required:
1. Lotsa patience!
2. Aluminium shelf bracket (from DIY stores)
3. Cable Release

Tools required:
1. Drill with a set of drill bits (Carrefour have some cheapo ones)
2. Reamer (I did not have one :( Very gd for cleaning up burrs in drilled holes, or for enlarging holes)
3. Clamps (for clamping down bracket while drilling)
4. Small saw (for cutting away end of bracket)
5. Solder bit n solder (I'd used solder -see insert in pic- to attached the cable release to the bracket.)

well done. came across the coolpix 950 site last time. wanted to try but not sure abt the steadiness of the metal shelf bracket. do you think it can hold a large flash like my 285hv?

Originally posted by HOCL
well done. came across the coolpix 950 site last time. wanted to try but not sure abt the steadiness of the metal shelf bracket. do you think it can hold a large flash like my 285hv?

Actually, I bought the Kako 9000ETS slave flash when I was buying the cable release....

P4140004.jpg

It came with a straight flash bracket, w/o the handle.
It makes the whole setup quite compact.

How heavy is the 285HV?

The aluminium shelf bracket is bendable by hand but it's still quite sturdy, so it might be able to hold.

Originally posted by ark19

Actually, I bought the Kako 9000ETS slave flash when I was buying the cable release....

P4140004.jpg

It came with a straight flash bracket, w/o the handle.
It makes the whole setup quite compact.

wah cool...:) How's the slave flash, works well? How much is it?

Originally posted by Tweek

wah cool...:) How's the slave flash, works well? How much is it?

Bought the slave flash @ $85 in Fotoguide :)

How to test the flash?
I'd attached a sample. Could see a subtle difference when using the slave flash.

flash.jpg

How heavy is the 285HV?

Not too sure ... probably abt the same as your Kako flash ... or a bit more ...

Bought the slave flash @ $85 in Fotoguide :)

How to test the flash?
I'd attached a sample. Could see a subtle difference when using the slave flash.

errmm ... your sample did not show much of the flash's capabilities ... to test it, maybe you want to shoot a room at night without lights ... then with int flash, then with both flashes ...

I saw this slave flash at a shop at basement of Adelphi ... this slave flash seems to be better (more powerful? what's the GN?) than the one by Sunpak (or is it Suntak?) ....

I had considered getting a slave flash but decided not to ... reason being, by shooting with int flash on, the DC batteries would be drained very much faster and the turnaround time would be very much slower ...

With my 285HV, I may still want to get a cheap slave flash to play with multiple flash setups ... next time ...

Hi HOCL,

Here are the improve test pics..

Without flash
P4150017.jpg

Pop-up flash
P4150018.jpg

Pop-up flash with slave
P4150019.jpg

From the Spec sheet:
GN is equivalent to 24m @ ISO100.

the Unfolded size is L70mm x B50mm x H150mm.
Could u let me know the size of ur 285HV?

I had the opposite thought from your pov...
If I need to, might buy the expensive cable to sync to DC....
But I have yo find out abt the voltage surge thingy...

Not too sure ... probably abt the same as your Kako flash ... or a bit more ...

errmm ... your sample did not show much of the flash's capabilities ... to test it, maybe you want to shoot a room at night without lights ... then with int flash, then with both flashes ...

I saw this slave flash at a shop at basement of Adelphi ... this slave flash seems to be better (more powerful? what's the GN?) than the one by Sunpak (or is it Suntak?) ....

I had considered getting a slave flash but decided not to ... reason being, by shooting with int flash on, the DC batteries would be drained very much faster and the turnaround time would be very much slower ...

With my 285HV, I may still want to get a cheap slave flash to play with multiple flash setups ... next time ...

Hi HOCL,

Here are the improve test pics..

From the Spec sheet:
GN is equivalent to 24m @ ISO100.

the Unfolded size is L70mm x B50mm x H150mm.
Could u let me know the size of ur 285HV?

I had the opposite thought from your pov...
If I need to, might buy the expensive cable to sync to DC....
But I have yo find out abt the voltage surge thingy...

Dimensions of 285HV: 102x132x107mm, Wt: 420g
so you see how big this monster is ... :eek:

Your test pics ... ermmm ... still does not show much of the slave flash's capabilities ... maybe you shd be shoot a longer/wider room further from the walls ... that way, you can compare the reach of the int flash vs the ext flash ... your ext flash's GN of 24m shd be powerful enuf to light up the entire room...

Just curious why you build this cable release bracket in the first place? For night shoots?

haha damn funny you mosaic-ed the photos...shy to show ah? :D

yup you should test by shooting a subject that you know the internal flash cannot reach....so that you can see what difference the external flash can make.

Dimensions of 285HV: 102x132x107mm, Wt: 420g
so you see how big this monster is ... :eek:

Your test pics ... ermmm ... still does not show much of the slave flash's capabilities ... maybe you shd be shoot a longer/wider room further from the walls ... that way, you can compare the reach of the int flash vs the ext flash ... your ext flash's GN of 24m shd be powerful enuf to light up the entire room...

Just curious why you build this cable release bracket in the first place? For night shoots?

:eek: Wow! HUGE monster of a flash! What's the GN by the way?
Tried shooting the kitchen, but the kitchen's not long enuff to show the effects too :( will try shooting from living rm to the rear of kitchen after lights-off.

Hmm, abt the bracket, partly due to my 'itchy' hands and partly for night shots, very annoyed with the time delay!

Originally posted by Tweek
haha damn funny you mosaic-ed the photos...shy to show ah? :D

yup you should test by shooting a subject that you know the internal flash cannot reach....so that you can see what difference the external flash can make.

Aiya, kindergarten grad shot, with mickey n donald deco somemore, paiseh paiseh! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.