C85mm f1.8

alvinho

Oct 4, 2010
hi all,

can canon 85mm f1.8 shoot event and street photo?

im interested in this lens too... from my recent research, it has been reviewed as a good full body portrait lens. im a newbie btw.. =)

is it a fast and sharp lens?

tack sharp, sharper than my 17-55.

This lens is fun to use for shooting street candid shots. You will not be disappointed. However if you have friends that have got this lens, I suggest you borrow from them to try first. Not everyone can live with primes. Try carrying it around for 1 full day for all your shots and gauge if you are comfortable to own it over the long term.

Do take note of it being a dust sucker though. Most people have dust in this lens after using for a while. If you could live with it, then you will enjoy the wonders of this lens :)

im interested in this lens too... from my recent research, it has been reviewed as a good full body portrait lens. im a newbie btw.. =)

Not so sure about it being a good full body portrait lens though... especially on a crop camera. :)

I own this lens, like te lightning fast focusing speed and sharpness. My all time usage for shooting portraits.

I'll let the photo speak for itself:

2011-01-22%20-%20Tack%20Sharp-9201.jpg

2011-01-22---Tack-Sharp-Clo.jpg

Last edited:
i have try using C50mm f1.8 to walkaround the whole day to take pic..so of the pic i take the range is too short..so was thinking to get this C85mm f1.8

If don't have the budget, TS can also consider the C 135 f/2.0 L, focusing is faster, and bokeh is so much better..

If don't have the budget, TS can also consider the C 135 f/2.0 L, focusing is faster, and bokeh is so much better..

Brother, sick till cannot see what your typing ? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
actually i was thinking to get a lens for event and street shooting.

actually i was thinking to get a lens for event and street shooting.
if its not out of budget: 17-55 will give you the range and speed you need to be flexible and capture that split second moment in events and streets

actually i have Tamron 17-50mm.

actually i have Tamron 17-50mm.
focusing is a little slow dont you think. i find it irritating when shooting events especially in sub-optimal lighting conditions

85mm can be a little long for street.

An upper torso to head shot would require the person to stand about 6m away.

Get a wide angle lens like the 28 or 35mm to compliment the 85. It goes well.

I started off with the 85 and found it difficult to get my composition 40% of the time.