C8080 or SP 500 or SP 350 ?


Status
Not open for further replies.

serene

New Member
Oct 3, 2004
412
0
0
Dear everyone,

I am tired of carrying my E-300 around sometimes and would like to hv a versatile and reasonably priced pro-consumer camera. Something small to fit into handbag/tote but yet at the same time, produce good results under day/night conditions. Do you guys have any suggestion? Feel free to suggest any other cameras (even non-Olympus ones) Price is important (hope not to spend too much on it):bsmilie:

Thanks in advance:D
 

tao

Senior Member
Jan 7, 2005
3,856
2
38
Beach Road
Hi serene, are these your only choices? I am not sure if the C8080WZ is still available but last saw them on clearance at CP. I am not sure whether it is that much smaller than your E-300 though.

I can't say much for the latest Oly compacts as I have not tried them out. The C7070WZ would have been a great choice given its nice 27mm wide end, performance and compact dimensions but sadly has been discontinued. The C-70 is actually on clearance at CP for only S$658 last time I check and those on dpreview who have one say it is a pocket gem. If not for its not so wide 38mm, I would have snag one as a pocket cam.

I am currently considering the Fujifilm F11, but not sure if its 35mm on the wide end will suit my usage... yes, I am a wide angle junkie. :)
 

selamatlzh

Senior Member
Sep 29, 2003
916
2
18
69
Sinagpore
Was at Cp yesterday. They are still selling it. They had also bundled the undewater housing too.
 

Hacker

Senior Member
Dec 6, 2005
4,257
2
38
Cyberspace
tao said:
Hi serene, are these your only choices? I am not sure if the C8080WZ is still available but last saw them on clearance at CP. I am not sure whether it is that much smaller than your E-300 though.

I can't say much for the latest Oly compacts as I have not tried them out. The C7070WZ would have been a great choice given its nice 27mm wide end, performance and compact dimensions but sadly has been discontinued. The C-70 is actually on clearance at CP for only S$658 last time I check and those on dpreview who have one say it is a pocket gem. If not for its not so wide 38mm, I would have snag one as a pocket cam.

I am currently considering the Fujifilm F11, but not sure if its 35mm on the wide end will suit my usage... yes, I am a wide angle junkie. :)
Coolpix 8400. 24mm onwards.
 

KrY0LiT3

New Member
Nov 7, 2005
131
0
0
tao said:
Hi serene, are these your only choices? I am not sure if the C8080WZ is still available but last saw them on clearance at CP. I am not sure whether it is that much smaller than your E-300 though.

I can't say much for the latest Oly compacts as I have not tried them out. The C7070WZ would have been a great choice given its nice 27mm wide end, performance and compact dimensions but sadly has been discontinued. The C-70 is actually on clearance at CP for only S$658 last time I check and those on dpreview who have one say it is a pocket gem. If not for its not so wide 38mm, I would have snag one as a pocket cam.

I am currently considering the Fujifilm F11, but not sure if its 35mm on the wide end will suit my usage... yes, I am a wide angle junkie. :)
35mm is actually enuff when you get used to it. seriously!
 

serene

New Member
Oct 3, 2004
412
0
0
Hacker said:
Coolpix 8400. 24mm onwards.
Thanks everyone for their inputs!:)
I heard that the Coolpix is about same size as Oly c8080wz.
Does any know which P&S gives the best performance for one who has been spoilt by quality of DSLR.:bsmilie:
 

tao

Senior Member
Jan 7, 2005
3,856
2
38
Beach Road
KrY0LiT3 said:
35mm is actually enuff when you get used to it. seriously!
No, it is really not enough. Not when you have your back against the wall. I do a lot of interior and architecture photography and 30mm is the minimum for my applications. It is true. :bsmilie:

Serene, I have tried to get a prosumer to carry around in place of my DSLR and all I can say is that I am underwhelmed by speed, the image quality and distortion. When you have it so good, nothing except the real deal comes closed which was why I changed to a E-500, which is compact and light enough to carry around. Just need that pocket P&S with wide angle! :D
 

Hacker

Senior Member
Dec 6, 2005
4,257
2
38
Cyberspace
serene said:
Thanks everyone for their inputs!:)
I heard that the Coolpix is about same size as Oly c8080wz.
Does any know which P&S gives the best performance for one who has been spoilt by quality of DSLR.:bsmilie:
Definitely a Nikon for good control of high ISOs. All the samples had no tripod and flash used.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=171712

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=171707
 

KrY0LiT3

New Member
Nov 7, 2005
131
0
0
tao said:
No, it is really not enough. Not when you have your back against the wall. I do a lot of interior and architecture photography and 30mm is the minimum for my applications. It is true. :bsmilie:

Serene, I have tried to get a prosumer to carry around in place of my DSLR and all I can say is that I am underwhelmed by speed, the image quality and distortion. When you have it so good, nothing except the real deal comes closed which was why I changed to a E-500, which is compact and light enough to carry around. Just need that pocket P&S with wide angle! :D
ahhh... i see i see. back against the wall. i dun use my c5050z in tight situations like this. that's when my slrs come in. my prosumer, which incidently is 35mm at it's widest zoom, is used mainly when i'm travelling and is sufficient for its purpose. if i need it wider i take more steps back. should be fine if there are no walls and cliffs behind :D

tao: i see why you have the 11-22 now. :) a very nice lens to have handy indoors especially. and i agree that many times when i'm using my prosumer i'll be wishing that i had my e1 along. the speed, feel and quality is so different. but of cos there are many places and situations where a p&s would be a better choice despite this.
 

tao

Senior Member
Jan 7, 2005
3,856
2
38
Beach Road
KrY0LiT3 said:
ahhh... i see i see. back against the wall. i dun use my c5050z in tight situations like this. that's when my slrs come in. my prosumer, which incidently is 35mm at it's widest zoom, is used mainly when i'm travelling and is sufficient for its purpose. if i need it wider i take more steps back. should be fine if there are no walls and cliffs behind :D

tao: i see why you have the 11-22 now. :) a very nice lens to have handy indoors especially. and i agree that many times when i'm using my prosumer i'll be wishing that i had my e1 along. the speed, feel and quality is so different. but of cos there are many places and situations where a p&s would be a better choice despite this.
Yes, the 11-22mm with its wide FOV, great sharpness and low distortion is just god sent, brilliant lens for my needs and it is the lens on the camera most of the time.

You are indeed right that there are times when a P&S is preferred... I don't relish lugging the E-500+11-22mm around when I go for site inspection even though it is the camera to carry around for best results. That is why a pocket-size P&S with at least 28mm is preferred but hope it don't break the bank like the Ricoh GR-D, I will rather spend the extra money on another Zuiko Digital lens. :bsmilie:
 

chii

Senior Member
Nov 30, 2004
807
0
16
SG
chiong.smugmug.com
tao said:
Yes, the 11-22mm with its wide FOV, great sharpness and low distortion is just god sent, brilliant lens for my needs and it is the lens on the camera most of the time.

You are indeed right that there are times when a P&S is preferred... I don't relish lugging the E-500+11-22mm around when I go for site inspection even though it is the camera to carry around for best results. That is why a pocket-size P&S with at least 28mm is preferred but hope it don't break the bank like the Ricoh GR-D, I will rather spend the extra money on another Zuiko Digital lens. :bsmilie:
:bsmilie: yeah .. my piggy bank is broken liao..


haiz.. the 7070 was a nice cam, but oly EOL it :sweatsm:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.