buying tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlin

Feb 17, 2006
hey guys, im looking for a tripod for my d70s lens, im wondering what tripod is more suitable? is slik u6600 alright?

danlin said:
hey guys, im looking for a tripod for my d70s lens, im wondering what tripod is more suitable? is slik u6600 alright?

What lens? Kit lens? 70-200VR lens? 400mm?

Not advisable, even for your kit lens on tilted at the 'potrait' position.

Suggest a minimum of the Slik Pro 300/400 series DX if you want to stick to this brand.

danlin said:

I used to own a U6600, until my cousin snapped it.
God knows how he did it... it's like Aluminum 5xxx material... So that concludes the durability of it.

Depending on your usage and strength....

you may want:
i. heavy and stable
ii. light and portable..

Nothing's perfect, so make your choice carefully.... Of course, you can buy both.

Hoky said:
I used to own a U6600, until my cousin snapped it.
God knows how he did it... it's like Aluminum 5xxx material... So that concludes the durability of it.

Depending on your usage and strength....

you may want:
i. heavy and stable
ii. light and portable..

Nothing's perfect, so make your choice carefully.... Of course, you can buy both.
it all depends on end of the day, what lens will u get....that will determine the threshold of the tripod...

danlin said:
U6600 is design more for compact videocam. Load capacity is about 1+kg, barely sufficient for DSLR + lens.

If you want to get SLIK tripods, go for the PRO series. There are other good tripod makers like Benro, Manfrotto, etc.

Look for something that can take at least 4-5kg (even though your cam+lens may not weight that much), it is more stable. If you will be using heavy telephoto lenses, size the tripod accordingly.

r those free tripod good at all if its for normal outdoor shoot? price only about $30. should i just dump it and get a better tripod. whats the average price.

Photonuts said:
r those free tripod good at all if its for normal outdoor shoot? price only about $30. should i just dump it and get a better tripod. whats the average price.
most of them ain't stable... if you actually touch any of the joint, you will feel the shake pretty easily... as for average price... a tripod can cost like a few dollars up to >2ksgd...
but for normal dSLR setup, something like a $200-300 setup would be more than enough.

I had the SLIK U6600 when I got the F65 with 28-80 & 70-300mm lens 5 years ago. Very durable, lightweight and quite compact. Was using with my D50 set-up and I find it quite alright, although I wanted somthing more stable and shorter. Overall, the SLIK U6600 is very good. However, the head is not removable.

Status
Not open for further replies.