Buying stocks and shares ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
buy low, sell higher. cdp account opened? trading account opened and linked to cdp account?

Hi again ...

No worries, I'm not into speculating ... just want to park some cash into certain companies which I've been eyeing for a quite while and leave it as that ...

Thanks again ... :cool:

Keep them coming!

If that is all you want to do, all you have to do now is to drop my at the Singapore Exchange to open a CDP account. Once you have doen that, you can simply open a trading account with any of the securities brokerage. If you know of good reliable remisers, you can use them. If not, I can introduce mine to you, it's a reliable husband and wife team, and I am one of their worst clients cause I don't trade. They will be able to explain to you how to the process of buying or selling works, how payments are done etc.

Another thing, what industry are the stocks you are looking at in? I am curious because of the uncertainty in the economy, and that there is a lot of room for more downside, yet you ae interested in putting money into it.

Just do a check with the US share markets, you will have the answer whether to buy or wait and see....

Happy trading. ;)

buy low sell high. the laws of gravity apply.. what goes up must come down!

dont follow the herd mentality. everyone buy doesn't mean you should buy. look at the subprime crisis, only the two GS traders and john paulson were firm enough to stick to their guts and beat the market. they got it right when everyone got it wrong.

the market is NOT right.

technical analysis (charting using historical prices) is for the short term and is not a very accurate measure as a predictor of future stock prices. if the reverse was true, everyone would be making tons of money now. stock markets are semi strong form efficient.

do not listen blindly to remisiers/brokers/stock analysts. remember, everyone is in this for one thing. money. everyone has a vested interest. stock analysts more often than not only tell you to BBB so as to maintain good relations with the company and to generate investment banking business. they get a cut from trading volumes. so whatever reports you read, take it with a pinch of salt. valuations are made by analysts who used their biased judgements in modeling them. you buy, they get commission. you earn money, they get commision. you lose money, they also get their commission.

read up in detail on the company you are keen on investing, know its operations and core businesses, future developments and annual reports.
know the situation of the market and roughly where it is heading to. don't be overly influenced by the media;s optimism/pessimism.
much of the stock markets movements are in fact controlled by hedge funds and institutional investors who have obscene amounts of capital that they use to drive up/push down prices and profit from it.

you can do well trading by yourself using online trading accounts. POEMS.

avoid derivatives and leveraged positions for your case, since you just wanna park some excess cash.

consider investing in foreign stock markets, other countries markets have been beaten down REAL badly (maybe overly so). quite disappointing that the FSSTI is still quite strong.

wanna share which companies you've set your eyes on? would be fun to discuss haha.

Advice from my stock broker father "when everyone including the cleaning lady is talking about stock market, it is time to sell."

You might want to consider invest in unit trusts. If you are looking to set up a portfolio, you need to make sure you don't just focus on single country. Look at what happened to China e.g. it has been going up like a rocket in the past few years but within a few months, its value has dropped more than 40% for the height. Compare to other markets such as USA, their market has dropped only around 20%.

Spread your risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.