Buying Sony NEX-6 from overseas (Adorama / B & H)

KennyH78

Dec 11, 2011
Hi all

I'm thinking of ordering the NEX-6 and SEL 18200 LE from Adorama or B&H due to the price difference as compared to getting locally.
Any advise if this is advisable?
Warranty will not be valid in SG right?

Hi all

I'm thinking of ordering the NEX-6 and SEL 18200 LE from Adorama or B&H due to the price difference as compared to getting locally.

Use the website's shipping calculator to figure the shipping for your intended purchase. Then add 7% (GST) to the combined cost, convert to SGD, and add another $10, which is what UPS and FedEx customarily charge for collecting the GST. Compare the grand total to the price you'd pay here, and you have your answer.

According to Sony Style at Cherry Hills, Denver as of last May, Sony camera gear sold in the USA has no warranty outside the USA; and they have no provision for issuing a tourist warranty, as can be obtained from some countries on this side of the planet.

Why go through so much hassle. Just get from malaysia, it's much cheaper.

KennyH78 said:
Hi all

May I ask why you choose the LE version?

Hi all

guess u have not purchase anything from B&H before.

try setup an account (its free and takes couple mins only), add item to cart. u should be able to see the total price including shipping.

NEX-6 $848.00 + SEL 18200 LE $848.00 + UPS Worldwide Saver 3-5 Business Days Delivery $60.44 = $1,756.44 USD excluding GST.. so remember to convert to SING and Plus GST.

so.. is it alot cheaper buy from B&H ? Adorama is abit more expensive

Last edited:
Errz said:
guess u have not purchase anything from B&H before.

try setup an account (its free and takes couple mins only), add item to cart. u should be able to see the total price including shipping.

NEX-6 $848.00 + SEL 18200 LE $848.00 + UPS Worldwide Saver 3-5 Business Days Delivery $60.44 = $1,756.44 USD excluding GST.. so remember to convert to SING and Plus GST.

so.. is it alot cheaper buy from B&H ? Adorama is abit more expensive

No need to create an account for that at B&H and Adorama.

ageha said:

Normal version is optimised for video. LE version equally good, if not better, for stills, if TS not that into video. The size is not as awkward as the normal version. Afterall, the normal version was a kit lens for videocam, not for the non-vg series.

Normal version is optimised for video. LE version equally good, if not better, for stills, if TS not that into video. The size is not as awkward as the normal version. Afterall, the normal version was a kit lens for videocam, not for the non-vg series.

The older version has a higher max. magnification, can always be handy. Funny they both have the same RRP in S'pore.

ageha said:
The older version has a higher max. magnification, can always be handy. Funny they both have the same RRP in S'pore.

The difference in mfd isn't going to be a deal breaker, I feel. Supposed both version were launched at the same time, I'm sure many would have gotten the LE version instead.

Thanks all for the valuable feedback and advise.
I've actually tried the adding to cart procedure and did some calculations. It comes up to approx S$2700.
Assuming the 18200 LE and NEX-6 sells for $1400 and $1600 respectively locally (is my estimation correct?), the $300 difference doesn't seem like worth giving up warranty for......

Last edited:

I prefer the LE because of the following:

1. I seldom do video
2. Slimmer and lighter
3. Doesn't block the flash
4. Black color, to match the body :)

KennyH78 said:
Thanks all for the valuable feedback and advise.
I've actually tried the adding to cart procedure and did some calculations. It comes up to approx S$2700.
Assuming the 18200 LE and NEX-6 sells for $1400 and $1600 respectively locally (is my estimation correct?), the $300 difference doesn't seem like worth giving up warranty for......

The LE cost 1199 (from Sony; street price will be lower) and I think NEX6 body only will cost about 1200-1400 (7 body only is 1700, when 6 is available, 7 should drop price and 6 should be even cheaper; street price even cheaper), so I think your estimates are over and problem not a good deal to buy overseas, unless you have a friend who can buy there locally and bring back for you.

The LE cost 1199 (from Sony; street price will be lower) and I think NEX6 body only will cost about 1200-1400 (7 body only is 1700, when 6 is available, 7 should drop price and 6 should be even cheaper; street price even cheaper), so I think your estimates are over and problem not a good deal to buy overseas, unless you have a friend who can buy there locally and bring back for you.

Thanks silvermoon :)
Was quoted 1250 for the Tamron 18200 so I thought the Sony LE will be more expensive...
Keeping my fingers crossed that the 6 with 1650 lens will be approx 1500 - 1600 :D

When Nex6 is available locally, Nex 7 pricing will drop to $900. I am almost certain of that.

My apologies, i mean for pre loved Nex7. It will be very tough for the current Nex7 owners to let go off theirs. If Nex6 is $1200, most people will want to low ball Nex7 or settle for a new Nex6.

skinbone said:
My apologies, i mean for pre loved Nex7. It will be very tough for the current Nex7 owners to let go off theirs. If Nex6 is $1200, most people will want to low ball Nex7 or settle for a new Nex6.

People can ask for 900 perhaps for used nex7. Nex7 owners will be very reluctant to sell at sub 1k pricing given that it is barely a year old for this camera ... Perhaps when the nex7r or nex9 COmes out, I will be happy to sell at 900.

I'm hoping that the body + kit lens won't go beyond $1400 here. Also waiting for the Nex 6 pricing on DigitalRev and in Malaysia before I consider the U.S sites since we've already known their prices.

Highly unlikely. The NEX7 is still the higher-end model.