Buying Nikon lens from Mustafa

Status
Not open for further replies.

drchow

Nov 29, 2008
Anyone with experience buying Nikon products from Mustafa? I just happened to walk by and saw an SB400 going for only $169 with original Nikon warranty. Really tempted since I have not been fast enough at the personal classified section of CS.

any real need for buying an SB-400 bro?
:dunno:

Actually, I have been resisting buying a flash but then realized that my 18-200 casts a shadow on the lower part of my photos at full zoom with the inbuilt flash! I am traveling to perth soon and would really like to limit my equipment, hence the SB400 though some have said it's not much better than the built-in really.

Actually, I have been resisting buying a flash but then realized that my 18-200 casts a shadow on the lower part of my photos at full zoom with the inbuilt flash! I am traveling to perth soon and would really like to limit my equipment, hence the SB400 though some have said it's not much better than the built-in really.

okay bro, what you actually need is at least a flash that can swivel and turn like SB-600 ad above! bounce light(indoor) or a powerful flash is what you need bro. anyway, any 3rd party flash that has the abovementioned function will do. F.Y.I, if your subjects are a bit far, you'd better read up on the Flash Guide to understand the suitability of the flash for your use.

it is true what they say, due to the fixed position of the SB-400, not much difference :)
nikon_sb400_02.jpg

what you need is this
sb600.jpg
nikon-sb900-reviews.jpg
or the creme dela creme! enjoy!

Just to clarify a bit. The SB-400 has the ability to tilt its head from the horizontal position (0 degree) to the vertical position (90 degrees). So you can still bounce the light from the flash. I do own an SB-400 and it serves me well. :)

Just to clarify a bit. The SB-400 has the ability to tilt its head from the horizontal position (0 degree) to the vertical position (90 degrees). So you can still bounce the light from the flash. I do own an SB-400 and it serves me well. :)

Think other guys meant the horizontal swivel which is really a lot more useful as fill flash. Unless you couple a Giant Flip it ... but then again, dun think it fits on SB400

what you need is this
sb600.jpg
nikon-sb900-reviews.jpg
or the creme dela creme! enjoy!

Great thoughts everyone! Thanks!

Weight/size is a major concern for me, more than $$ actually. I know that my current needs are to bounce flash in one direction (upwards) for now; not sure why I will need to bounce to the side? Someone mentioned that if I take in portrait orientation, I can only bounce off the side wall with a SB400 instead of the ceiling with a swivel head - that I agree though....

I am sure there are CSers who have been happy with their SB400 due to the small size and that it serves their need adequately. What I fear is that I will start leaving my flash at home if I find it too much trouble to carry it with me!

From the Classifieds, I see that everytime an SB400 or SB600 is put up for sale, there is great interest.. good resale value huh?

yeah bro, this "flashies" definitely have a high resale value because of it's strobing abilities and an abundance of features that is somewhat redundant to me until i reach a stage where i need to use it to the max! haha! then again, if you just need a flash to bounce then a third party is plentiful for you:) :) Otherwise, go for at least sb-600. believe me dude, you won't regret it.:)

Think other guys meant the horizontal swivel which is really a lot more useful as fill flash. Unless you couple a Giant Flip it ... but then again, dun think it fits on SB400

Sorry I've got to clarify: this is a great little flash for subjects within 7-8ft away.

Stick it pointing vertically and then shove a business card in the slot for horizontal fill-in for eye and chin shadows. Bend it forward or backwards for more or less fill.

Demb actually has a mini Flip it for this flash. http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit400/

Don't be put off if your needs are modest. There's no need for a SB600 or more if you are just taking casual pics of people as long as they are not too far away and indoors.

I own bigger flashes but if I'm going light or not sure if I need flash, its the one I put in my pocket! :cool:

BTW this thread has nothing to do with a lens and buying from Mustapha!!:eek:

Sorry I've got to clarify: this is a great little flash for subjects within 7-8ft away.

Stick it pointing vertically and then shove a business card in the slot for horizontal fill-in for eye and chin shadows. Demb actually has a mini Flip it for this flash.

Don't be put off if your needs are modest. There's no need for a SB600 or more if you are just taking casual pics of people as long as they are not too far away and indoors.

I own bigger flashes but if I'm going light or not sure if I need flash, its the one I put in my pocket! :cool:

Stick it pointing vertically and then shove a business card in the slot for horizontal fill-in for eye and chin shadows. Demb actually has a mini Flip it for this flash.

Ok, I am convinced fully now. Just came back from Perth, regret not getting the flash. Am also tired of waiting for a second hand SB400 on classifieds! Mustafa here I come.

.. oh forgot to mention:

If you want to re-position the flash a bit closer or for bounce flash in portrait position, etc just use a flash cord e.g. SC 28/29 or some small wireless triggers. Remember that you can bounce off anything: side walls, ceiling, your white shirt, etc.

Its great as a lightweight bit of kit- don't knock something if you haven't tried it!:cool:

Stick it together with a Nikon Coolpix like the P5100 and you can get some really quite amazing pics for a compact. Not just family pics but amazing macro shots (still things only). Direct flash is hideously ugly, even if the cam is a D700!

I don't have any pics on me at the moment but I remember a few people posted some up on Dpreview.com -you'll be impressed, I promise!

(its a shame that the SC29 infra red focus light doesn't work as it would greatly help the slower-than-death-by-butter-knife focusing of the Coolpix range).

:embrass: I realise this means I have made serious in-roads into ways of NOT carrying all my flashes, cam, batteries, lenses, Expodisc (actually I still take this as its handy and I'm lazy), etc
But if its just going out to dinner, going cycling or for a run, or out with the family, I simply cannot lug my gear around nor would I want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.