Buying New Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a sony compact camera before, and I hated it, so I told myself never to get sony cameras again despite the fact that I really love the brand. I have heard good reviews about the NEX, but it is really that good that I should consider getting NEX instead of PEN?

NEX got the luscious body. - camera body + APS-C sensor

m4/3 got the wicked tools. - small/fast lenses

:D

So in the end while the NEX goes higher ISO, the m4/3 does not need to go as high due to the increased DOF for similar FOV and faster lenses.
The high ISO performance issue is not as clear cut as it seems.....

At low ISO, the Olympus EP series have always been known for their low AA filter for very sharp o/p and punchy JPEGs.
IQ is the match of any APS-C sized camera at low ISO.
ISO200 comparisons.
EP3 - Digital Cameras, Olympus PEN E-P3 Digital Camera Test Image
NEX5n - Digital Cameras, Sony Alpha NEX-5N Digital Camera Test Image

NEX and APS-C cameras generally do better ISO1600 and above though.

You can look at more comparisons here:
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

Actually... TS... you might want to look at Panasonic offering too... and if budget is not too much of a problem and you don't mind the wait, Olympus OM-D is also said to pack quite a punch and it looks really good too.

Also, please don't give up on the NEX... they are very capable cameras... although the lens are pretty big.

to confuse u more...panasonic gx1...lol
LOL. I will probably end up getting a pana pancake lens before I leave, and sell it when I return, but I don't like the look of the camera! Thanks!

Actually... TS... you might want to look at Panasonic offering too... and if budget is not too much of a problem and you don't mind the wait, Olympus OM-D is also said to pack quite a punch and it looks really good too.

Also, please don't give up on the NEX... they are very capable cameras... although the lens are pretty big.

Budget is a problem,[SUB] so OM-D is out even though I hear its gonna be such great improvement over the current E-P3... I also read its gonna cost up to 2k? So its wayyy out of my budget.[/SUB] I spoke too soon, I saw online that EM5 is retailing for 999usd for the body only, which is about $1,250 for body only, and I could buy the lens separately, so would that be a better investment than EP3? I will have a look at the NEX cameras in the IT show. Another thing is, I don't want to get a camera that is old, so instead of the recommended NEX 5, I'd get NEX 7, which is gonna cost more.

The EPM1 is smaller and cheaper than the EP3, and comes with lots of colours. The performance and output is exactly the same as the EP3, as they are using the same sensor and have the same focusing speed and functions, just that there are less customisation buttons and stuff. Do take a good look at those.

The Sony NEX are very good cameras too. They perform better in low light situation. The M4/3 (Olympus and Panasonics) system however have much more selection of good lenses, and smaller system (lenses are smaller), and very pleasing out of camera JPegs, which will prove very useful to you if you don't do re-touch.

Here's a tip. The Olympus is launching a new camera, the OM-D camera. As with all things new, older cameras will become cheaper. If you can wait a little while, you may get a good bargain.

Thanks T, great advice as always! I didn't know about all those similarities! But I think there's more filters in E-P3 right? Its one of the reasons why I really like PEN, cause of the amazing filters! I know about the OM-D so I am giving myself until April latest to get the camera! If you find any awesome deals, let me know! (I'm looking for new silver E-P3 for now)

Last edited:
I bought a sony compact camera before, and I hated it, so I told myself never to get sony cameras again despite the fact that I really love the brand. I have heard good reviews about the NEX, but it is really that good that I should consider getting NEX instead of PEN?

Simple. Instead of replying and typing infront the computer.. make yourself free and head down to the shops and hands on.
If you're talking about Specs, Price and Performance. I'll say its worth it. (But this is subjective though)

Btw, the EPM1 and EPL3 comes in various colours, say... Pink. The EP3 doesn't have so many choices in colour.

seriously dude. stereotyping gender with color.... so cliched...

@TS: if you're looking at the NEX-7, and you're a beginner, it's not worth it to get the NEX-7. it's a hassle to control and i would rather prefer the not-much-controls-and-very-plain-but-still-a-beast NEX-5N which has better noise control at high-ISO than the NEX-7.

there's no such thing as "newer is better". there are those who are still using cameras from years ago and producing awesome images. the key to good photography is what you learn and how much you practice. even if you get the latest, at best it'll give you images with nice colors, better noise control etc... but photography is more than just that.

I think go with what your heart tells you. EP-2 or EP-3 is good camera, I owned a EPL-1 before and I like it. so...all the best.

Budget is a problem,[SUB] so OM-D is out even though I hear its gonna be such great improvement over the current E-P3... I also read its gonna cost up to 2k? So its wayyy out of my budget.[/SUB] I spoke too soon, I saw online that EM5 is retailing for 999usd for the body only, which is about $1,250 for body only, and I could buy the lens separately, so would that be a better investment than EP3?

Actually I cannot tell you if the investment is better or not, all I know is OM-D is going to cost more than the EP3 and if EP3 can get the job done well, then EP3 is worth your investment. However OM-D being a new camera (and I think it share the same or similar sensor to Panasonic's GX1 and G3) thus the high ISO noise control is pretty respectable.

(On a personal note... I also own a EPL1 which I used now and then these days, result is excellent and I absolutely love the light weigh and ease of carrying this small little camera around.)

Last edited:
I think go with what your heart tells you. EP-2 or EP-3 is good camera, I owned a EPL-1 before and I like it. so...all the best.

Actually I cannot tell you if the investment is better or not, all I know is OM-D is going to cost more than the EP3 and if EP3 can get the job done well, then EP3 is worth your investment. However OM-D being a new camera (and I think it share the same or similar sensor to Panasonic's GX1 and G3) thus the high ISO noise control is pretty respectable.

(On a personal note... I also own a EPL1 which I used now and then these days, result is excellent and I absolutely love the light weigh and ease of carrying this small little camera around.)

Thanks!! I will go down to the IT fair to try the EP! (:) since you guys have owned EP, I am wondering if an when I do buy the EP3, should I sell of the lens and buy a panny 20mm? I like the size, but I don't know what it can't do other than zoom in and out, is that a decent enough lens to shoot things (eg. I'll be in Disneyland so I'll shoot everything from fireworks to shots with people)!

Thanks so much for all the feedback! This is awesome!

Thanks!! I will go down to the IT fair to try the EP! (:) since you guys have owned EP, I am wondering if an when I do buy the EP3, should I sell of the lens and buy a panny 20mm? I like the size, but I don't know what it can't do other than zoom in and out, is that a decent enough lens to shoot things (eg. I'll be in Disneyland so I'll shoot everything from fireworks to shots with people)!

Actually it would depend on your style of shooting. If you are new to photography, I would not recommend the prime lens just yet, use the zoom lens provided and maybe add a oly 40-150mm or a panny 45-200mm lens to get a feel of the entire range.

Note that for m4/3, you need to multiply 2 (crop factor) to the focal length and so your 20mm lens would essentially be a 40mm lens on a 35mm equivalent and so it is not exactly very wide.

Anyway, my combo was EPL1 + oly 14-42mm and oly 40-150mm lenses. And I find that pretty alright... in actual fact, I seldom use the 14-42mm anymore and my 40-150mm is always on my camera, because of my personal preference and style.

Actually it would depend on your style of shooting. If you are new to photography, I would not recommend the prime lens just yet, use the zoom lens provided and maybe add a oly 40-150mm or a panny 45-200mm lens to get a feel of the entire range.

Note that for m4/3, you need to multiply 2 (crop factor) to the focal length and so your 20mm lens would essentially be a 40mm lens on a 35mm equivalent and so it is not exactly very wide.

Anyway, my combo was EPL1 + oly 14-42mm and oly 40-150mm lenses. And I find that pretty alright... in actual fact, I seldom use the 14-42mm anymore and my 40-150mm is always on my camera, because of my personal preference and style.

Rhino what does things like 14mm or 150mm mean?

Rhino what does things like 14mm or 150mm mean?

Those are focal length of the lens. 14mm (28mm equivalent to 35mm format in m4/3) are still consider super wide angle. 150mm (equivalent to 300mm to 35mm format in m4/3) are consider tele lens, used to shoot object afar.

seriously dude. stereotyping gender with color.... so cliched...

Oh.. Did i mention that the Olympus Pen has a huge selections of skins and fashion accessories from many providers? Go do a google on Skins for Olympus Pen, Lol...

The danger of getting the sharp and bright and small pancake 20mm is that you may not want to take it off your camera. You may want to keep the kit lens 14-42mm to try out different focal length.

Oh.. Did i mention that the Olympus Pen has a huge selections of skins and fashion accessories from many providers? Go do a google on Skins for Olympus Pen, Lol...

The danger of getting the sharp and bright and small pancake 20mm is that you may not want to take it off your camera. You may want to keep the kit lens 14-42mm to try out different focal length.

Come on! I like silver and I'll probably get the black leatherette for the vintage look, but PINK? Not really my cup of tea. As for the pancake, will it not be good enough, and what kind of shots will the pancake not be good enough, cause its so small, it'd be more compact, one of the reasons why I'd buy a pen over dslr.

Come on! I like silver and I'll probably get the black leatherette for the vintage look, but PINK? Not really my cup of tea. As for the pancake, will it not be good enough, and what kind of shots will the pancake not be good enough, cause its so small, it'd be more compact, one of the reasons why I'd buy a pen over dslr.

Basically no one can tell you if the 20mm is enough for you or not. I for one find that 20mm pretty limiting for what I am shooting and how I like to shoot. That is why I have a zoom lens...

My advise is still... get the zoom lens (and maybe add in the 40-150mm or 45-200mm lens)

After you find out whatever range or focal length you are most comfortable or shoot most in, then get yourself a prime lens of that particular focal length.

Think stick to the zoom lens is good, next time when you got the hang of it, then u invest on other lens. of cos if you are able to, just get both the 14-42 and yr pancake lens together.

dun rush to buy this buy tat.

ur kit 14-42 lense will be good enough.

enjoy it 1st.

i heard the om-d will b available with the 14-42 lense too, but nothing is confirm till it's out.

for me, i'm jus eyein the body only. my 14-54 mk II is more than enough for me...
but with another 14-42, i can use it on my ep2 and let my daugther hv the cam...

For micro 4/3 standards, the 20mm panasonic lens is a very useful lens, especially if you like to take picture indoors of birthday parties (dim light situation). The 20mm is bright, and allows you to take sharp photos without flash. For outdoor street photography, and snapshots, it is also very good, as you can still take pictures of quite a bit of the street and people. The 14mm will be wider and able to capture more. Anything less than 12mm are very wide, and allows you to take a complete photo the Taj Mahal without standing too far away. At 42mm, you are more likely taking a photo of somebody's head and shoulder shot, a protrait. At 150mm, you are more likely taking pictures of birds and animals in Zoo, which you cannot get close to. But those occasions are rare, unless you are a wildlife enthusiast.

Good Lenses will stay with you, but the camera bodies usually get upgraded. If you start learning about which focal length you use often, you can consider investing in a good prime lense of that particular focal length.

Last edited:
OLYMPUS IS SELLING E-P3 AT ~$1,300 WITH LOTS OF STUFF AT THE IT FAIR (INCLUDING FREE HALF LEATHER CASE, EXTRA BATTERY, MEMORY CARD & SCREEN PROTECTOR), IS THAT A GOOD BUY?

OLYMPUS IS SELLING E-P3 AT ~$1,300 WITH LOTS OF STUFF AT THE IT FAIR (INCLUDING FREE HALF LEATHER CASE, EXTRA BATTERY, MEMORY CARD & SCREEN PROTECTOR), IS THAT A GOOD BUY?

Try calling recommended shops and see if they can match the price of IT fair... with goodies or maybe sell cheaper. Then get from these shops, no need to spend time squeezing in the crowd. And... yep... check up the new OM-D, heard that it had been released and was selling in the IT fair... noise control and everything else is superb for this cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.