buying LX3 or GF1?

For SITEX or IT shows, it's usually the older camera models that are on great discounts. It's a time for the supplier to offload the exiting models, so u can only bag a good bargain if u're looking at such cameras. For popular or newly launched cameras, it's usually retail price with freebies thrown in. It can only become a good deal if the freebies turned out to be good, or what u're going to buy anyway. Typical freebies are usually tripods, cleaning kits, bags etc.

n yes, such shows accept credit card payment, whereas some of the recc shops will only take cash payment.

I'm not touching m4/3 at this stage because it is the new growth area and there will be rollout of new products by other camera brands very soon.

m4/3 is the camera equivalent of netbooks for the laptop industry. Just wait and see.

In the meanwhile, I will stick with LX3. At its price it remains the best prosumer compact.

For SITEX or IT shows, it's usually the older camera models that are on great discounts. It's a time for the supplier to offload the exiting models, so u can only bag a good bargain if u're looking at such cameras. For popular or newly launched cameras, it's usually retail price with freebies thrown in. It can only become a good deal if the freebies turned out to be good, or what u're going to buy anyway. Typical freebies are usually tripods, cleaning kits, bags etc.

n yes, such shows accept credit card payment, whereas some of the recc shops will only take cash payment.

thanks for sharing :) im sure you are having a LX3 and enjoyed it v much.

i shall shop for one soon...any recommendations which shops are reliable? :D I heard 3rd party battery is bad for the camera? :what:

I sell off my whole set of Canon and getting the GF1, will invest on m4/3 lens. It will cut half my load on size and weight when i travel. The Canon set weights around 5Kg with body and 3 lens and extra battery etc... GF1 should weight less then 2Kg with the same range of lens. But if you not getting any m4/3 lens, then LX3 would be best for now.

Last edited:
lx3 value has not drop much over time, and the 2nd hand market is also very hot.

Get the GF1 if you need the tele zoom, no go with LX3.

HTH.

You mean something like this:?

K7FW1741_s.jpg

I'd only get the 20 pancake if I go for GF1. No point getting a big lens for such a small camera imo.

I'd only get the 20 pancake if I go for GF1. No point getting a big lens for such a small camera imo.

Me too...i prefer 20 pancake ;)

For reliable shops, just spend enough time browsing this forum, n u should have a rough idea of the price & location.

One of the things about LX3 is the amount of creativity it gives. U can change a variety of settings, & they'll have a different effect on your photos. If u invest the time, e camera can still be quite refreshing & surprising to use after a few months.

hi sinceredeal,
which country you're in...is GF1 available over there?
its not yet there in my place.

You can't really compare a compact and a m4/3. M4/3 will give you better image quality, comparable to DSLR. A compact will always be cheaper and smaller. Are you ready to invest a lot of money to buy lenses for the m4/3? You'll always want better image quality, and therefore, you may be getting accessories like external flash, viewfinder, etc. If you decide to get the GF1, it's very likely that you'll end up paying 4-5x the price of the LX3. For the same money, you can get a prosumer DSLR with external flash and one good lens.

You can't really compare a compact and a m4/3. M4/3 will give you better image quality, comparable to DSLR. A compact will always be cheaper and smaller. Are you ready to invest a lot of money to buy lenses for the m4/3? You'll always want better image quality, and therefore, you may be getting accessories like external flash, viewfinder, etc. If you decide to get the GF1, it's very likely that you'll end up paying 4-5x the price of the LX3. For the same money, you can get a prosumer DSLR with external flash and one good lens.

Thanks TheStig. I am considering GF1 with 20mm pancake (dont wish to add on lens) or a LX3. I understand from bros and sis that GF1 is 2x more expensive compared to LX3. But GF1 has better photo quality than LX3. A struggle indeed :dunno:

I am pondering over LX3 and GF1. Both are capable of having good quality photos. LX3 is lighter and smaller, whereas GF1 is heavier and slighter bigger. I guess prices are quite apart, since GF1 has just launched. If this is a repeated thread, pls direct me to the previous threads. thanks all.

Wait!... LX 4 coming... then u compare and hav headache again... hahahah

Thanks TheStig. I am considering GF1 with 20mm pancake (dont wish to add on lens) or a LX3. I understand from bros and sis that GF1 is 2x more expensive compared to LX3. But GF1 has better photo quality than LX3. A struggle indeed :dunno:

If you can live with a prime lens, that's great, because from what I read, Panasonic's 20mm pancake is an excellent lens. The same review also praised GF1's capabilities. Picture quality is comparable to DSLR. High ISO performance should be much better than LX3. I'd only shoot at ISO 400 at the most with my LX3. I believe you'll get your money's worth if you decide to go with the GF1. I was very tempted to get the GF1 too before I decided to go with the LX3 due to its versatility and small size.

Last edited:
I'm always on the lookout for a lightweight camera that have DSLR capabilities for travel.

Just changing the body to a PNS, we've saved space and weight.

Sorry, but urgently need to know the new street price for GF1 with both kit sets... I saw a few sets at BnS around 1.1k (with 14-45 kit)... just wonder how much does it really cost.

AFAIK, new LX3 is around $680.

hi sinceredeal,
which country you're in...is GF1 available over there?
its not yet there in my place.

Arurag, GF1 is out of stock in sg...as far as i know...

I tried my friend's GF1 and we were very impressed with the shots.

But i wonder how does it compared to the popular LX3?

I welcome Lx3 & GF1 owners to share your experience and photos.

hear from you sis and bro :)

I own both the GF1 and the LX3, and I find that they serve different purposes for me. Having lugged around a D80 for over 2 years, I have a bit of a bias against PnS cameras. The GF1 seemed to be a good middle ground.

GF1 (with 14-45 kit): great camera, lots of fun using it as an "everyday dSLR", and I feel that I have full creative control (just as I would have on an SLR). I really miss having an optical viewfinder, though I suspect it's just a matter of time before I get used to it. When doing macro photography, the magnification functionality on the liveview screen is awesome. When doing landscapes, I'm feeling a bit constrained at 14mm (28mm equivalent). Only alternative at this point is the 7-14mm, but considering that it costs as much as the GF1 kit, I haven't pulled the trigger on it. That's where the LX3 comes in...

@ 24mm, the LX3 gives me the width I like for landscapes. Also, it's such a small and compact PnS that I favour it when heading out with friends in the evenings. My wife tends to have it in her purse all the time as her PnS, and I love having it for the full creative flexibility.

At the end of the day, I think that in most situations, both produce excellent quality shots. I use both extensively, and frankly, I wouldn't pick one over the other. Yes, the GF1 has a larger sensor and hence should be able to handle higher ISOs better. But if you're looking for high ISO performance, then you need to move up to dSLRs. For me, the most fun has been grabbing different lenses and mounting it onto the GF1 and getting creative (i.e. my Pentax 25/1.4 cine lens) with DOF and bokeh (without having to grab over 2kg of dSLR gear)!

I own both the GF1 and the LX3, and I find that they serve different purposes for me. Having lugged around a D80 for over 2 years, I have a bit of a bias against PnS cameras. The GF1 seemed to be a good middle ground.

GF1 (with 14-45 kit): great camera, lots of fun using it as an "everyday dSLR", and I feel that I have full creative control (just as I would have on an SLR). I really miss having an optical viewfinder, though I suspect it's just a matter of time before I get used to it. When doing macro photography, the magnification functionality on the liveview screen is awesome. When doing landscapes, I'm feeling a bit constrained at 14mm (28mm equivalent). Only alternative at this point is the 7-14mm, but considering that it costs as much as the GF1 kit, I haven't pulled the trigger on it. That's where the LX3 comes in...

@ 24mm, the LX3 gives me the width I like for landscapes. Also, it's such a small and compact PnS that I favour it when heading out with friends in the evenings. My wife tends to have it in her purse all the time as her PnS, and I love having it for the full creative flexibility.

At the end of the day, I think that in most situations, both produce excellent quality shots. I use both extensively, and frankly, I wouldn't pick one over the other. Yes, the GF1 has a larger sensor and hence should be able to handle higher ISOs better. But if you're looking for high ISO performance, then you need to move up to dSLRs. For me, the most fun has been grabbing different lenses and mounting it onto the GF1 and getting creative (i.e. my Pentax 25/1.4 cine lens) with DOF and bokeh (without having to grab over 2kg of dSLR gear)!

thanks for sharing...it makes me feel like getting both cams......woof. btw, where did u buy it? price?