Buying from Amazon, pros and cons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titan10k

May 16, 2008
Hi all,

Been reading here for a while, but this is my first post. As the title said, is there any major problem dealing with Amazon? I have a feeling that us CSers here don't like them, but still I don't know the reason why.

Thanks.

Hi all,

Been reading here for a while, but this is my first post. As the title said, is there any major problem dealing with Amazon? I have a feeling that us CSers here don't like them, but still I don't know the reason why.

Thanks.

Maybe because of gray/grey set and warranty issue? :dunno:

does amazon deliver outside USA ?

U can always use Vpost for amazon!

pros: -usually cheaper than local stores
-you can find things that are not available in singapore

cons: -it takes some time for goods to be delivered
-you dont get to test the lenses before buying
-exchanging of goods(faulty lenses) is troublesome as you need to ship it back

warranty wise i can only speak for pentax. you can get the international warranty by sending the necessary documents to pentax US. so no warranty problem.

Amazon delivers to Singapore but not for all products. You can find out when you want to checkout and confirm your order. Ordered some books and CDs from them before. No issues at all.

But for photographic equipments like lens and bodies, I would rather order from more renowned parties like b&h photo

If I want to buy a body or a lens, and pay so much for them, I rather go to the shop to feel it and decide before I buy them. I can even get it instantly, and not need to wait for the post.

Hi

Amazon might be actually more expensive than say adorama / bhphoto.
You have to factor in the shipping costs, the GST incurred.

I usually make purchases from adorama for my photog stuffs.
Only once did I made a lens purchase on amazon for a few USD more than adorama because it was sold out everywhere else and locally :bsmilie:

Ryan

just use vpost, most amazon us-to-us shipping are free anyway... i got my lumix at almost half price vs sg price.

Hmm.. Amazon Price + Vpost + Custom Duties + GST + Insurance + Fear + Stress + Warranty Issues = More den local shopping :bsmilie:

Hmm.. Amazon Price + Vpost + Custom Duties + GST + Insurance + Fear + Stress + Warranty Issues = More den local shopping :bsmilie:

Not at all...

In general, Amazon doesn't ship electronics to Singapore. To bypass this, one has to use vPost. vPost has their own shipping charges for different types of items. Camera is one of them.

If one is looking at camera with prices close to SGD1000. It's probably not worth it. Note that there's compulsory 7% GST to be paid at the custom.

Also, as mentioned by others, there's the warranty issue because it's not local coverage.

However, if there's a friend in US, it might be more worthwhile.

---

For books, Amazon ships books cheaper than any bookshops in Singapore, INCLUSIVE of shipping charges. In most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.