Buying Flash from US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeonic

Oct 3, 2006
Hi,

I have a question that I would like to ask,

Can I buy a flash from the US and claim local warranty?
If not, how often does a flash break down?

I saw that the olympus Fl-36 is selling ~US$160 which works out to be about SGD$255.

This price is before vpost and GST and thus it should come up to be a little more.

Is it worth getting it?

Thanks...

Hi,

I have a question that I would like to ask,

Can I buy a flash from the US and claim local warranty?
If not, how often does a flash break down?

I saw that the olympus Fl-36 is selling ~US$160 which works out to be about SGD$255.

This price is before vpost and GST and thus it should come up to be a little more.

Is it worth getting it?

Thanks...
How much is local with warranty price?

Regards,
Arto.

I just bought a Canon MT-24EX from Amazon.com. Saves me around $400 over the local price. Warranty should be international. A friend is helping bring it back from the US (item is being shipped to him).

Anyway, to try answer some of your questions:
Whether or not you can claim the warranty depends on the manufacturers policy i guess. You have to check from their website or something.

How often a flash breaks down depends a lot on how you use it. However, I've had a Sigma flash die on me just after the 1 year warranty period was up even though I didn't use it that extensively.

I've heard that some US stores won't let you ship to the vpost location in the US since it's not the same as your billing address. Not very sure. Amazon allows it though I think.

As for GST, if I'm not wrong, if the item is less than S$500, you don't have to pay GST. I've ordered stuff from Amazon worth more than us$160 that directly shipped to me here in SG and I didn't have to pay any GST.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Denosha,

I appreciate your help in clarifying some stuff... :D

I just check with Olympus and Nikon Singapore. It appears that the flash accessories are all international warranty and thus it appear that I can go ahead and purchase the flash at amazon.

I think I will go for a cheaper flash like the olympus FL-36 instead of the nikon SB800 cos I am broke...

:) Thanks.

? Will a Olympus flash work properly (i-TTL) on a nikon camera? Not sure as I'm a Canon user.

Status
Not open for further replies.