Buying D3S In KL

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfleong

Jun 7, 2008
The D3S is quoted at RM14,800 - RM15,000 at various shops in Kuala Lumpur. At today's exchange rate of 2.407, it comes out to approx SGD 6,150. Cathay & Alan is quoting the camera at approx SGD6,950. Does anyone knows why the camera is so much cheaper in KL? Btw, all the vendors confirm the camera comes with original Nikon warranty (which I assume is valid only in the Nikon Service Centers in Malaysia). I was told camera body warranty is country specific, while lens are international. Does anyone knows of any pitfalls when buying cameras in KL ?

Appreciate any advise & sharing of experience. Thanks.

Nikon Singapore only covers warranty for Singapore distributed products, i.e. local warranty. Customer Service in Nikon has confirmed with me there is no international warranty. And just in case some of you may not know, Nikon Singapore would need your purchase receipt as proof of date item was purchased. Nikon would take the distribution date of the product as start date of warranty coverage if one fails to produce the purchase receipt for the verification of the date of purchase.

So would it be worth risking the warranty for a difference of few hundreds? You decide.

I guess when you start comparing prices, you forgot there is something known as GST which is already inclusive in the price quoted. I got mine much cheaper than that.

Hi Andy. Thanks for your advise. Would you mind sharing with me where you bought your D3S and for how much ? Cheers & Thanks.

That won't be nice. I got a rather good price but that price is not available to everyone so nope, I can't tell you where and how much. Sorry mate.

If you are likely to visit KL on a regular basis due to work or otherwise, then it may be viable for the savings.

If not then I suggest you go to the usual reputable shops in Singapore and support the local economy. The rents these shops are paying in Peninsula and Lucky plaza are not cheap. :)

For slightly more %tage wise, you get the local warranty and service from the nice people at NSC (if required).

;)

If not then I suggest you go to the usual reputable shops in Singapore and support the local economy. The rents these shops are paying in Peninsula and Lucky plaza are not cheap. :)

I would go to Peninsula, but is it advisable to go Lucky Plaza for a bargain with camera parts?

Is the new batch of D3S available in the shops now? I checked 2 days ago with OP there were no stock yet. Thanks

When I thinking of purchasing the D3s, I had not really committed myself to buying one at that time but a quick check around came up with nothing. No one had stock so I wasn't seriously thinking about it. I was thinking if I should be getting another D700 or wait for a replacement.

That was until my friend came telling me that his regular shop has a unit and is able to sell it to me. So my friend called me immediately and I got that "one and only" unit in Singapore at that time. That was only late last week. ;)

And it was kind of funny when I thought about my sudden purchase. Some had reserved months in advance and received nothing. Most of the popular shops had more names in the reservation listing than your 10 fingers could count. And I got it without even any chance to seriously consider if I am buying, and not even reserving a unit. :bsmilie:

if it's cheaper, y not.

as long as no mishaps happen to the camera, u r safe.

I feel KL is near enough that should you need service you can go back there. Perhaps they have a service centre in JB? I am not sure, but if they do, then it is a lot closer.

Hello everyone.......just an update. I bought the D3S for RM 14750 (SGD 6130), a 24-70mm f2.8G lens for RM 5800 (SGD 2400), and a 50mm f1.4G lens for RM 1800 (SGD 748). Total savings of way more than 1K compared to S'pore. The lens had an original Nikon "Worldwide Service Warranty" card, while the body had a Nikon Service warranty card that showed the distributor as Nikon Malaysia.

Looks like cameras and lens are much cheaper in Malaysia.... and they have stock !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.