Buying Camera in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi newbie here. Great community!

Akihabara is one place to start looking. Lots of gadget/electronics/camera shops. Good deals can be found to. Yodobashi has a huge store there AFAIK. LAOX also has its own camera branch. Last time I was in Japan was 2002 - got myself a vidcam from LAOX and saved a nifty sum if I compared it to the price here in my country.

Cheers. :)

yodobashi is big store, but not the cheapest. go to kakaku to find the cheapest pricing in jp before going.

< S$13 is very difficult imho...
If it hits, i'l change too..
from S$16 way back in 2001/2002 down to the current S$13.5
is kinda low already...
Go every year January and rates are about $13.5 - $13.2

Camera and lenses arent as cheap in Tokyo then in H.K.
as in its easier to get better prices in H.K.
There's good deals to be found in Tokyo too, but not easy
to ID the place. Plus its a big country so finding the location
isnt exactly easy too..

In Tokyo, Shinjuku area you have like Yodobashi, Map Camera
and some used camera shop.
Prices are ok, bargain abit is also ok..
Test lens to get sharp copy then buy?
Not possible to my humble knowledge
But definitely eye candy...
bring eye mo....
:bsmilie::bsmilie:

test lenses and cams in yodobashi, L lenses and 5D are on display for tests.
apr to may was the time i changed currency. 12.5 was my lowest rate..

test lenses and cams in yodobashi, L lenses and 5D are on display for tests.
apr to may was the time i changed currency. 12.5 was my lowest rate..

Glad to hear april was 12.5...
sadly wasnt wiring $ to japan during that time and didnt manage to " make use " of that
good rate.

test lens on display sure...
but test and hand pick a sharp copy when buy? don't think is allow
at least i wasnt allowed
:(

Glad to hear april was 12.5...
sadly wasnt wiring $ to japan during that time and didnt manage to " make use " of that
good rate.

test lens on display sure...
but test and hand pick a sharp copy when buy? don't think is allow
at least i wasnt allowed
:(

july period was summer sales~~ prices were wild @ that time.. i enjoy the low currency rate, electronic goods are cheap in JP..

they let me play with their lenses, those 70-200mm, i met a good salesman, speak good english and worked in Bali and knew about SG.. =)

Wah xunjas, since when u got 3 70-200s?? U seemed to be a 70-200 fan. ;p

neh.. i am a rentee.. this year i had alot of events @ church, i like the versatility of 70-200mm.. haven earned enough to buy them all. i like them, each have their own advantages. i like primes more than the 70-200mm. =)

july period was summer sales~~ prices were wild @ that time.. i enjoy the low currency rate, electronic goods are cheap in JP..

they let me play with their lenses, those 70-200mm, i met a good salesman, speak good english and worked in Bali and knew about SG.. =)

Heard there's a newly opened electronic store near Shinagawa eki
selling at good prices...
And heard they sell cameras too...
Sadly, didnt have time to swing by that way
last I was there in Jan
;p

neh.. i am a rentee.. this year i had alot of events @ church, i like the versatility of 70-200mm.. haven earned enough to buy them all. i like them, each have their own advantages. i like primes more than the 70-200mm. =)

Icic....then u should try renting the 50 f/1.2 or 85 f/1.2 II someday.

yodobashi is big store, but not the cheapest. go to kakaku to find the cheapest pricing in jp before going.

but would you know whether those shops with the cheapest price are trustworthy?
At least a big shop like yodobashi has a reputation to uphold.

I posted my recent experience of buying a lens in Tokyo here
Only got one lens in Tokyo, coz that's all I needed. :)

I could have gone looking for the shop with the cheapest price, but heck, the difference between kakaku and their price might juz be 500Y (~SGD$7-8?) might as well spend the time walking around tokyo with the new lens rather than looking for a shop. Moreover, I don't read Japanese, so .. harder to get around.

In Tokyo, might want to try Shinjuku area (both east and West exit) they have 3 big shops that you can patronize: Yodobashi, Bic Camera, Sakuraya. All have salesman with acceptable English. If you print out the model number or picture of the item you're looking for, it might be easier to talk to them.
Ikebukuro area also has lots of Bic Camera shops, first floor always has DSLR stuffs.

I feel that the price of their (JP) camera body and lenses are quite cheap, can't say the same abt their accessories though. SG seems to have abt the same price.
However, I was rather biased, only looking and comparing alpha systems accessories.

hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.