Buying camera/ camera equipment in cambodia

tansm

Mar 12, 2010
Hi. anyone has any experience buying camera stuff in Cambodia? is it cheaper there?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Tansm,
I was in Cambodia last October, and along the road taking to the Siem Reap airport I noticed a huge billboard advertising the Nikon D200 (not D300, not D700). Here in Singapore the D200 had been replaced years ago by the D300 and then - less than one year ago - by the D300s; looks like Nikon Cambodia is selling a product that's one and a half generation behind the current models. If this is any indication of the state of the photo market over there, I'd say you will not find the latest camera models in Cambodia, and you might also find prices that are not competitive with S'pore shops.

First, if you need to buy something in Cambodia, you should be able to find it.

However, with regards to the above post, keep in mind that Cambodia isn't exactly a bustling economy -- many billboards that are up, have probably been up for a long, long time. Just because there's an ad for the D200 doesn't mean that it's the latest model there.

I say this after just returning from Cambodia -- while I wasn't fishing for gear, I did peruse for memory cards a bit (VERY light perusing) and I didn't see any great deals. At least no great deals on real, and not imitation, products.