Buying a DSLR: Assistance Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one question that I always asked myself. Is the DSLR worth the money vs the interest I have. What should I be happy with it and how were the type of picture am I going to take. If i gotten the camera, how far and how much am I going to go. Therefore my equipment is a 2nd hand 450D and even my lens is borrowed from someone while I explore. $1300 is not a small sum, it can do wonders and how well spent is really on how great your passion is.

Getting a DSLR is most expensive hobby I ever been in but it kinda numb the pocket pain when you see the picture become a snapshot of your memory.

Hey, PC show is coming, go down and play with all the available cameras and see when one you are most comfortable with.

Hey, PC show is coming, go down and play with all the available cameras and see when one you are most comfortable with.

With the crowd, noise and salesmen pushing for sales, probably the last place to do that. I am sure if the major brands do any specials during PC show, the same offer probably available via their dealers. The kind of "extras" thrown in to entice you to buy at the show, probably no big deal.

Take your time to get something that really suit your needs, and is something that you are really comfy with.

@ calebk: If you would be so kind as to excuse my apparent lack of initiative, your point is that I'd have to spend additional money due to the unavailability of a lens from Canon that comes with both Auto-Focus and manual-focus?

@ Rashkae: Noted with much thanks! :D

@ huipiiing: Is it possible for you to PM me some links to the camera rental sites? Thanks :D

@ZerocoolAstra: First of all, what are the advantages and disadvantages of auto-focus and manual-focus? Or do they simlpy differ in the fact that one allows the camera to do the focussing, while the other requires manual setting? 'Soft' lighting and a a macro lens lie at the crux of good horological photography.

@ seefei: Thank you very much for your kind proposal, it is with much regret that I reject your offer as I am currently no considering the purchase of Pentax camera. Thanks again :D

@ Headshotzx: Thanks, I will definitely consider that.

@ Simon_84: Indeed, I have read that the Image Stabiliser is built-in for the Alpha, but for the other brands, they are assembled in the lenses, which consequently add to their weight. Correct me if I am wrong, though.

@ Galdor: I'm not sure whether it's just me, but I would prefer a brand new unit for my first DSLR. I guess it's idiosyncrasy haha. Yes, I am definitely getting a dry cabinet after my purchase. Any particular brands to look out for? Thanks :D

@ night86mare: Thank you for the very helpful insight. There are indeed a great many considerations to factor in the purchase of a DSLR. I doubt I will be able to get a macro lens immediately with the purchase of my camera, so it'll be something that will only materialize in the coming months.

@ hammie: Personally, if I were to have things my way, this will be a hobby that I will 'indulge' in for the rest of my life. I also hope that every skill I pick up along the way will accompany me to the day I finally pass on.

@ sibeion: You just reminded me to a question I have been wanting to ask: Will the PC Show offer more in the way of freebies and lower prices? Thanks :)

Thanks everybody for the gesture of goodwill =) It's down to the Canon EOS 400D and the Sony Alpha 350.

@ calebk: If you would be so kind as to excuse my apparent lack of initiative, your point is that I'd have to spend additional money due to the unavailability of a lens from Canon that comes with both Auto-Focus and manual-focus?

This calls for a re-read of my post.

The system with autofocus limitations is Nikon, specifically their D40, D40x and D60, not Canon.

Not sure if the 400D is still available as most shops are carrying the 450D now. Among the 2, I prefer the Sony A350, have a test at the shops to see which you prefer. For dry cabinet, you can try getting a Digi-Cabi one. If you are leaning towards the Sony A350, get it from MS Color at Ang Mo Kio, you can buy the dry cabinet from them and get a better price too.

With the crowd, noise and salesmen pushing for sales, probably the last place to do that. I am sure if the major brands do any specials during PC show, the same offer probably available via their dealers. The kind of "extras" thrown in to entice you to buy at the show, probably no big deal.

Take your time to get something that really suit your needs, and is something that you are really comfy with.

Well, I don't think you can go in to any shops and ask them to take out all the cameras and let you try untill you shiok unless you are on very good terms with them or maybe getting a D3 or mark 3.

PC shows are most crowded on weekends, can try going on a thurs and you'll can have your fun trying stuff that you like.

To Defklan qn - Nope, PC/IT show normally sells at RRP + lots of (maybe) useless "free" gifts.

Not strictly pertaining to macro photography, but do note that many value-for-money prime lenses such as the 85 f/1.8, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 and such cannot be used, with autofocus, on the D60. If you want to get a Nikon body, go for the D80 at the very least.

Was planing to get a D60 -___-, do i need to reconsider my choice? My Budget is about the same
as "Defklan". My Dad will not increase my budget, so is there any other options other then the Nikon D60.

Was planing to get a D60 -___-, do i need to reconsider my choice? My Budget is about the same
as "Defklan". My Dad will not increase my budget, so is there any other options other then the Nikon D60.

if u dun have any existing lens then get the D60... it is pretty small and light and a performance DSLR.. I am a newbie also.. my equipment are Nikon D40 kit + 18-200VRII + Sigma 30mm F1.4.. think it pretty meets my needs.. i use the sigma for night, low light and potrait.. and the 18-200VR for others.. and sometime the kits lens when i wanna go light:lovegrin:

if u dun have any existing lens then get the D60... it is pretty small and light and a performance DSLR.. I am a newbie also.. my equipment are Nikon D40 kit + 18-200VRII + Sigma 30mm F1.4.. think it pretty meets my needs.. i use the sigma for night, low light and potrait.. and the 18-200VR for others.. and sometime the kits lens when i wanna go light:lovegrin:

He's on a tight budget.

You might want to look at a Sony A200 and a Tamron 90mm Macro lens.

Yea i know he has a tight budget. but i am showing him that D40/X/60 is not really not compartable with great lens... The D60 with the kit lens with VR is a good start for him.

You may want to get a Sony A200 as mentioned by bro Rashkae and a 50mm macro lens. Someone is selling a Sigma 50mm macro now.

both Havoc and Defklan are asking similar but yet different questions.
Defklan wants a camera to take macro shots of watches. I think that even with a D40/D60, not having auto-focus ability with a macro lens is not too critical. The watch is stationary, after all. Can take all the time in the world to focus properly. Unlike maybe insect photography, where you need fast focusing.

And to answer your question Defklan: yes, the only difference between manual and auto focus is that one is done by your hands, and the other by the camera when you half-depress the shutter.

For Havoc, D40/D60 is a perfect camera for most shots that the average photog might capture, eg. landscape, nature, etc. With the 18-55 kit lens and the AFS DX 55-200mm as additional, you've got a lot of range covered already. Only when you want a prime lens (eg the AF Nikkors) would you start to find the camera body A BIT limiting. Then again, all functions are available, only focus is by hand. Perhaps by then you'd have saved up some $$ to trade for a D80 or its successor.

Yea i know he has a tight budget. but i am showing him that D40/X/60 is not really not compartable with great lens... The D60 with the kit lens with VR is a good start for him.

I assume you mean 'not compatible', meaning that the great lenses (I assume the primes) are not compatible with the D40/D60.
This is a point which I must stubbornly refute. By using a word like 'compatible', you give newbies the feeling that a D40/D60 with a prime lens becomes a lemon combination. Quite untrue. The pair work fine together. Just because there's no auto-focus means it's incompatible? What's your left hand doing underneath the lens barrel? dead weight?

I've tried my AF Nikkor 50mm f1.8D on my dad's D40. Works fine. Works brilliantly in fact. Focusing is not that difficult by hand.

Go to Best Denki at Vivo City. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Sony DSLRs are in a firing squad formation. You can test at your heart's desire regarding the feel.

I am a happy owner of a Sony Alpha 200. I was in your position last February. As a newbie to DSLR without much $ to burn, I shopped around for entry level cameras, narrowed down to Pentax K100D/200 and Sony A200 due to their in-body Image Stabilization. Ultimately I ended up with A200 (with 2 kit lenses) just because it was readily available in stores as opposed to my first choice, Pentax. Thanks to the introduction of A300 and A350, the A200 kit (18-70mm) enjoys a slashed price tag, now only $999. Mind you, this camera model is also new (first Sony DLSR launched this year) and got features that the mainstream brands don't have at similar price point (they offer their past years models to show competitive pricing).

With that $999 you get a free DSLR training from Sony SDW and join the very helpful alpha user-group. With a Do-It-Yourself tent or white box, you'll be shooting great watches in no time.

Go to Best Denki at Vivo City. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Sony DSLRs are in a firing squad formation. You can test at your heart's desire regarding the feel.

I am a happy owner of a Sony Alpha 200. I was in your position last February. As a newbie to DSLR without much $ to burn, I shopped around for entry level cameras, narrowed down to Pentax K100D/200 and Sony A200 due to their in-body Image Stabilization. Ultimately I ended up with A200 (with 2 kit lenses) just because it was readily available in stores as opposed to my first choice, Pentax. Thanks to the introduction of A300 and A350, the A200 kit (18-70mm) enjoys a slashed price tag, now only $999. Mind you, this camera model is also new (first Sony DLSR launched this year) and got features that the mainstream brands don't have at similar price point (they offer their past years models to show competitive pricing).

With that $999 you get a free DSLR training from Sony SDW and join the very helpful alpha user-group. With a Do-It-Yourself tent or white box, you'll be shooting great watches in no time.

$999 is the RRP for the A200 currently. Of course, you'll be able to get a better price at our usual friendly stores. ;)

I would like to convey my deepest gratitude and appreciation to all the kind members who have invaluably contributed to my consideration in purchasing my first DSLR.

I have my mind set on the Sony Alpha 350. If I could inflict on the kind samaritans here two questions:

1. The review of the kit lens on dpreview rates it as a poor lens that limits the capability of the camera, and the 14.2 megapixel sensor; what lens should I be looking to purchase as a replacement?

2. Should I head to MS Color and look for a certain gentleman/ lady named 'Florence' in order to enjoy a pleasant experience?

Thank you again :)

1. The review of the kit lens on dpreview rates it as a poor lens that limits the capability of the camera, and the 14.2 megapixel sensor; what lens should I be looking to purchase as a replacement?

Actually the sony kit lens is one of the better kit lenses out there... But yeah, getting a CZ 16-80 is a good idea. :)

2. Should I head to MS Color and look for a certain gentleman/ lady named 'Florence' in order to enjoy a pleasant experience?

Thank you again :)

Absolutely.

I think i down to the shop this saturday to try out the Camera and after trying out the Camera u all suggested to me, maybe i will decide on the camera i like the most and buy it on the spot. ^.^ Thanks for all Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.