Buying 2nd hand lenses

Can I check if the lens is supposed to reach full aperture range at all focal lengths? ie if its a 18-55mm lens 3.5-5.6.

Is it supposed to achieve full range of 3.5-5.6 @ all focal length 18-55

18mm at minimum F3.5 and 55mm at minimum F5.6

18mm at minimum F3.5 and 55mm at minimum F5.6

meaning to say at 18mm, nt necessary can achieve f5.6 but must achieve f3.5?

and at 55mm, nt necessary can achieve f3.5 but must achieve f5.6?

Base on my understanding.
Meaning at 18mm max aperture opening at f3.5, you want to shoot at f5.6 also can.
For 55mm, max aperture at f5.6, cannot go to f3.5.

Here is a short checklist to buying 2nd hand lenses:

1) Look through the lens (dismounted) and at a light source so you can clearly see the front and rear elements (glass) with the maximum aperture. Remember to remove the front filter first.

2) Make sure there are no spots, smudges, cracks, etc. when you look thru the item (got spots might be fungus).

3) For normal twisting type, make sure twist motion is smooth when extending focal length.

4) Do a few test shots at different focal lengths and different f-stops to see if the picture is sharp. Pictures at different f-stops may reveal different defects, e.g. a speck of dust might show up at f/22 but not at f/2.8.

5) Make sure the aperture can reach maximum (i.e smallest f-number) and photos taken are sharp (make sure zoom in on your LCD and see).

6) Make sure when mounted, the lens is mounted firmly (normally there is a little lag, just a tiny bit but should not be able to twist the barrel, pls do not force twist)

Extra checks:

7) Prior to seeing the seller, ask them to send you some pics taken using the lens as well as physical pics of the lens. Ask him for the Lens code for Canon Lenses so you can check the age of the lens. The Nikon serial number should be able to roughly gauge the age.

8) Ask the seller if he can grant a 7 day personal guarantee just in case the lens breaks down within 7 days.

9) Make sure the seller agree to your paying price and not on the spot increase. If he increases on the spot, walk away.

Greetings all!
i'm a newbie to CS n photography in general. just a quick qn for all u old birds. :bsmilie: as mentioned above u can ask for lens code to check age of lens.. how do u go bout doin that? on the canon website or thru the warranty registration or etc? many thanks for your help!!

With all the query and hassle to the seller ... the item sold to the next fast user .... good luck

just a qn, does the resale value of HK lens and SG lens differ?

TIA!

I suppose you don't get much cash back for selling lenses in HK. They have a whole street filled with 2nd camera shops. There's so much of stock that i suppose it's surprising to find something overpriced or not worth getting there? (Of course the stock must be in good condition).

Cowz.

does seller are allowed to sent abroad? i'm from indonesia, and maybe i would like to buy from this forum.

does seller are allowed to sent abroad? i'm from indonesia, and maybe i would like to buy from this forum.

I suppose that you would be up the seller/buyer to discuss among themselves of the transaction details isn't it?

Cowz.

Is there any thread on how to check for fungus INSIDE of lens barrel?

Hi, newbie here. Is there such practice for people who bought 2nd hand lens that still has warranty to bring the lens down to the respective brands' service center and request a check on its mechanism, something which can't be detect on the outside...?

Last edited:
Hi, newbie here. Is there such practice for people who bought 2nd hand lens that still has warranty to bring the lens down to the respective brands' service center and request a check on its mechanism, something which can't be detect on the outside...?

Don't think there is such a practice to bring a lens back to check if it is still under warranty :D

hi newbie here, jus a qn in my mine, are there anyway to check the age of the lens for thrid party lens. Thanks

Refer to the price guide :http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Call up store to check on new price. Not much point buying a 2nd hand lens that is almost as expensive as getting from shop.

Search thru the B&S section for history price. Take it witha pince of salt. Some prices might be inflated.

Search the seller past sale thread. To get an idea on how he priced his item and his reputation. If he has been selling the same lens for the longest time, chances are his lens is lemon or his price is unrealistic.

** Good thing CS don't delete the sale thread**