Buy FX7 now, or should I wait for the LZ2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaynus

Feb 20, 2005
The Panasonic booth at the IT show is heavily promoting the FX7, which I know is not really a new model. After comparing the specs with the upcoming LZ2 http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_lz1_lz2-review/index.shtml

I feel that the LZ2 is more or less the same as the FX7 except that it has 6x zoom, uses 2 AA batteriee (which I think is better) and being a newer model, should have improvements in design and firmware.

I do not know the price of the LZ2 yet, but if it ends up being similar to the FX7 (around $700+) then should I get the LZ2 instead? Unless there is an advantage of the FX7 that I am not aware of.

BTW, anyone knows when the LZ2 is available in S'pore?

Battery, using AA for LZ2. That should be the only advantage I can think of. It is not even a Leica lens for this camera (if that does concern you). It is also bigger, but very compact for that zoom range. Think they are selling at US$299 or something like that, so should be similar pricing to the FX7. For a first camera for snapshots just get the FX2 (4MP version of FX7), or if you want other colour the FX7 (not worth the extra $100++ for 1MP, useless video recording with no zoom/focusing when recording). It is pretty portable.

Finally, go down to the shop and try yourself when the LZ2 is here. Personally preference is still the best decision making factor.

I'm not familiar with cameras so I'm not sure how important the Leica lens are. Can you please elaborate on why the Leica lens is important?
Just curious why Panasonic would not use the Leica lens on the LZ2, since other Lumix cameras have Leica, is it to cut costs?

I was considering the LZ2 because I think that it is the mid-range model, in between the huge FZ20 and the compact FX series. And the 6x zoom is indeed nice to have.

LZ2 obviously the better cam but it is much larger so you might wanna think abt it

Jaynus said:
I'm not familiar with cameras so I'm not sure how important the Leica lens are. Can you please elaborate on why the Leica lens is important?
Just curious why Panasonic would not use the Leica lens on the LZ2, since other Lumix cameras have Leica, is it to cut costs?

It's just a name.
Panasonic has already dumped Leica before launching the LZ2.
In any case at all, all the Lumixes as well as the Leica Digilux 2 have their lenses manufactured in Japan.
They're not true Leica Leitz lenses. Merely designed by Leica but manufactured by Panasonic.
Since the technology for lense design has already been transferred to Pansonic, the latter has no need to keep Leica anymore.

Of course is buy FX7 now :D (Not from the IT show that sells it expensively though)
LZ2, you will have to wait till April.

Leica lens are much more better still

tough choice,its has its goodness :)

for me willb e lz2,cos in terms of specs it is kidna beter then fx7

If u compare fx2 and fx7. my advise is got money get fx7, budget get fx2.

if u compare fx and Lz, then maybe u can consider the price value, the lens used (not sure of what firefox has said is correct) and the build.

LZ does not come with a "rechargable battery". so u need to get ur own one. Maybe u aready have it? If not, it mean EXTRA money. 6X zoom offer by LZ is good. Got pro and con lo. As usual, gal that not into tech, i will ask them buy FX, cos small and nice what. big big screen, everyone like. I know LZ also 2inch but it onli 80 000K pixel.

sunkist said:
if u compare fx and Lz, then maybe u can consider the price value, the lens used (not sure of what firefox has said is correct) and the build.

Go to any shop, ask them for a LC-1 or Leica Digilux 2. Look under the lens barrel. You'll see Made in Japan.
Now, look under a Leica lens for their Rangefinders. You'll see Made in Germany. If the lens is truely manufactured by Leica, you'll never see "Made in Japan" on the barrel.

I quote from Panasonic's website:
# Leica is a registered trademark of Leica Microsystems IR GmbH. The Leica DC lenses are manufactured using measurement instruments and quality assurance systems that have been certified by Leica Camera AG based on the company's quality standards.

In other words, Leica only designs and inspects the units but does not do the manufacturing. ;)

A true Leica lens is handmade in Germany.Thats why they are out of the price range for folks like us.Think if it as Rolls Royce of cameras.
The Lumix Leica lens is Japanese factory mass produced( where got time to handmade, people want cheap, fast, nowadays).
Is there a difference? Well, they will argue until the cows come home. :dunno:

Back to the LZ2. Look at the samples on Lumix Website. I downloaded them and.........UTTER CRAP :sticktong....HOW CAN Panasonic come out with such cameras after great line of FZs and FXs? Complacent....complacent :nono:

Firefox said:
Go to any shop, ask them for a LC-1 or Leica Digilux 2. Look under the lens barrel. You'll see Made in Japan.
Now, look under a Leica lens for their Rangefinders. You'll see Made in Germany. If the lens is truely manufactured by Leica, you'll never see "Made in Japan" on the barrel.

I quote from Panasonic's website:

In other words, Leica only designs and inspects the units but does not do the manufacturing. ;)

Made in Japan not too bad la. Wait till you see Made in Thailand or China.

At least it is using technology from lecia and somemore made in Jpn. should be good enough.

Thank you all for the advice.

I'm not sure how big the LZ series are, but I do not mind the bigger size as long as they are not like the huge FZ20.

Rechargeable batteries are ok with me, since I already have them.

I've downloaded the sample photos taken from the FX7 and LZ2 cameras and I think they all look good. But then I don't have the sharp eyes to really judge the quality of digital photos, as long as it looks nice I think it's ok.

I think the main thing I'm attracted to is the image stabilizer feature of Panasonic cameras. And since this feature is supposed to allow the user to take nice pictures with a big zoom lens, I figure that going for the 6x zoom seems to be more worth it.

oh, I also hope that the stabilizer feature is truly useful and is not an overrated marketing gimmick by Panasonic!

Jaynus said:
I think the main thing I'm attracted to is the image stabilizer feature of Panasonic cameras. And since this feature is supposed to allow the user to take nice pictures with a big zoom lens, I figure that going for the 6x zoom seems to be more worth it.

oh, I also hope that the stabilizer feature is truly useful and is not an overrated marketing gimmick by Panasonic!

don't worry, the Panasonic OIS really works well, esp for tele-photography. :)

The OIS can be a savior at times, depending on individual, its usefulness is quite limited to me (on an FX2). Maybe I am more used to a SLR weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.