Buttonless Back Camera

Nikonzen

Nov 3, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Having recently acquired a Df I have concluded I would prefer a touch screen that covers the entire back of the camera. Do you think this will be the future? Something akin to our phones.

It might come in the future.... but not sure if it's really that desirable. Especially if one is still using the viewfinder to frame. E.g. changing focus points. Since there is no actual buttons, it might be hard to figure out what you are pressing.

Depends on how well they can implement nose and palm rejection on the touch screen.
I'm open to all ideas but can't imagine giving up feeling for controls from tactile sensation since I shoot at eye level so a flat back panel gives no feedback of what I'm pressing.

Using VF to compose, nose touches screen, shot taken.

Not for me.

The Samsung Galaxy NX is the closet example of an attempt at this idea, don't think it is the future though, doesn't seem to have taken off, a lot of people still prefer the traditional buttons

Having recently acquired a Df I have concluded I would prefer a touch screen that covers the entire back of the camera. Do you think this will be the future? Something akin to our phones.

Check out the Leica T (Typ 701) from 2014.

leica-t-system-mirrorless-designboom04.jpg

It's not hard to see it becoming more common for cameras pitched at the average consumer who are attuned to smartphone use. For pro usage though, a mix of touchscreen + enough hard customizable buttons would still be far superior to a single touchscreen, in terms of accessibility, without having to remove your eye from the viewfinder. E.g. The GH4 (which was also released in 2014) still sets the benchmark for me, in terms of camera UI, with a touchscreen on a fully articulated LCD, plus plenty of buttons to work with.

Last edited: