Butterfly chasing @ Pulau Ubin

dykat2009

Jul 6, 2009
Jurong West St65
Went out to Ubin with a group of macro shooters and decided to do some butterfly chasing. Captured some shots and sharing here. Thanks to the ButterflyCircle web site for the ID.

Please correct these ID if I get them wrong as i am newbie in butterfly shots.:embrass:

#1. Blue Pansy
4650806513_4a39d1923c_b.jpg

#2. Jacintha Eggfly
4651448358_2585e56879_b.jpg

#3. Plain Tiger
4651457120_1aa0d25e37_b.jpg

#4. Blue Glassy Tiger. Thanks to Bluesteel for the ID.
4650820265_e48693f4d6_b.jpg

Thank you for viewing.

Last edited:
Hi dykat2009,

These are very good shots for a first attempt, can see that you are trying your level best to parallel the broadside of the butterflies to your sensor, and you did very well.:thumbsup:

Glad that you find the ButterflyCircle checklist useful and have correctly identified the first 3 species. The last one is:

Ideopsis vulgaris macrina ( Blue Glassy Tiger )

Cheers!

Thank you Sunny for the ID on #4 and your kind comments to my butterfly shots.

#4 I like it.
good effort :thumbsup: and keep it up!

Good shots David.:thumbsup:

The shots are sharp but pity the bg details were quite obvious. Tried larger aperture? :)

Nice shots. #3 has a cleaner background than the rest.

The shots are sharp but pity the bg details were quite obvious. Tried larger aperture? :)

#1.
Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture: f/8.0

#2 & #3.
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/9.0

#4.
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/10.0

Did not have time to really chase the butterfly through out. Once they land on a plant/leave and stay still, I focus and pull the trigger. Will try to open the aperture more next time.

Wow! David. You're an expert in but shots now. Really very nice shots. Pity not able to join you all.

Wow! David. You're an expert in but shots now. Really very nice shots. Pity not able to join you all.

The experts are the guys from Butterfly Circle. they even know their ID and habits and more. The Ubin place we visited - Butterfly Hill was designed by their administrator.

Me learning the basic stuff only. Taking shots parallel with sensor.:embrass:

The next trip we go will let you know early.

very good shots.